Age Group Rank = 5/
Event warmup:

Short run, nice swim.
Swim
  • 28m 40s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ridiculously complicated swim course, which accounts for very little dispersion in times. Lots of drafting, felt quick. I took 30 seconds off the time and added it to t1 to account for the shore to mat jog.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

I had originally put my shoes on the bike, but decided with the wet grass it wasn't worth it. Pulled them off and put them on after wiping my feet down. Time to crush dreams.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 46m
  • 58 miles
  • 20.96 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a perfect bike. Excellent power, great control, spun the hills to conserve energy, geared perfectly, passed quite a few people and got passed by none. Nutrition plan turned out to be perfect, the only gripe is that I don't have a power meter, which might have allowed me to go a little harder.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Took my time to put on my socks and get my watch on.

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 05m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out feeling good, and kept my heart rate and pace in check. I was running 7:45 mm for the first 3 and felt fine. Course had what seemed to be good stock of water and ice. Then....out came the sun and with it the humidity. Everyone seemed to bake at once. Literally, we were all running, then we all started walking. I'm fine with my split, this was the best effort I could have put forth this day. The aide stations ran out of ice and coke, which made the second lap pretty bad. I did the first lap in 55 minutes, which tells you how hot the second really was. I knew I'd done well though, and the finish line was a welcome and glorious sight. My buddy was there to meet me with cold towels and water. Excellent post race food including gelato, fruit, pizza and drinks.

In time....just takes more long runs, more conditioning, but how could I possibly be upset with doing my best for where I'm at? I could not have trained more, or more effectively, and with that training I couldn't have delivered a better performance. Obviously it's not a "good" run, but I don't think you "run " in a HIM so much as you run as best you can and finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate tons of food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The humidity!

Event comments:

Race started half an hour late because the police were late. That definitely negatively affected the run heat. If at all possible they should hold it earlier in the year for less humidity. The Sound would be 5 degrees cooler with no negative effects at all. Obviously, need more ice and coke. I'd also make the run flatter somehow. The race is billed as a tuneup for Lake Placid, but it deserves its own identity. The bike is challenging, and with CT humidity, the run is just too brutal with hills afterwards. Allow athletes to have better runs and the race will get very popular, because the venue is excellent.

Last updated: 2013-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:40 | 2112 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 51/154
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Confusing course with 3 "laps". Lots of people running into each other from opposite directions.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:46:00 | 58 miles | 20.96 mile/hr
Overall: 17/154
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Bumpy roads in Norwalk made for some choppy riding, but the rest of the course was great. Beautiful, actually, one of the great rides in the area.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:05:46 | 13.1 miles | 09m 33s  min/mile
Overall: 59/154
Performance: Below average
Course: If not for the heat and humidity, course was fine. 2 laps through coastal Norwalk.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-01 6:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: Mighty Moss Half Iron Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mighty Moss Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Mighty Moss Half Iron Triathlon

Started by rtocco
Views: 1853 Posts: 3

2012-07-02 11:23 AM rtocco

Half Full Triathlon -Half Iron Distance

Started by gergzos
Views: 1388 Posts: 1

2011-10-05 10:45 AM gergzos

CATS - Half Iron (Iron Mt. Man)

Started by er_doc8
Views: 1468 Posts: 2

2006-08-22 3:11 PM dgillen

CATS - Half Iron (Iron Mt. Man)

Started by dgillen
Views: 2260 Posts: 1

2006-08-21 10:41 AM dgillen

Iron Star Half Iron Man

Started by fgalvan102
Views: 1258 Posts: 2

2004-10-27 1:24 PM runnrboy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
Although you can receive all of your vitamins and minerals through foods eaten in the diet, nutritional products used for training may not allow you to meet recommendations on a daily basis.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.