General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No longer a Tri virgin - Thanks BT ! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-01 9:10 AM

User image

Subject: No longer a Tri virgin - Thanks BT !
Hey folks!

I just wanted to give a huge thanks to the BT site and BT community for answering questing, listening, and offering support throughout this passed year of training to finish my first sprint tri yesterday !!!!

My time was ~1h51m. I had the pre-race jitters to the extreme. I wasn't able to eat before the race and I was somewhat freaking out over the whole experience. I was so nervous/anxious about the whole thing I had the worst breathing during the swim - I got out of the water and my legs were shaking. My heart felt like it was racing the entire time. Only until mile 2 of the run did I start feeling relaxed. I was so thirsty out of the water and also was hungry by mile 5 of the bike. Additionally, all week leading up to the race I had been trying to get over a head cold. I don't think I would have been able to participate had my sinus still be clogged with a fever.

Even with all of that, the segments were pretty much typical of my training times except my swim, but of course the pool does not equal the open water. Swimming with a group of people didn't bother me so much. I swam over people as much as others swam over me. I also had no sighting experience so I kept swimming left and going off course.

I almost landed in the bushes on the other side of the street trying to make a turn on the bike segment because I was going too fast. I was laughing so hard about that on the bike. I never really practiced fast turns.

I had a knee injury in Feburary that set me back 10 weeks of training. It was really upsetting at the time to think I wouldn't be able to do a race during the summer, but was extremely more upsetting to think I could never ski again. So, I really just stopped pushing myself so much and to back off at any sense of pain. Maybe I've been too easy but I rather be healthy for my husband and kids and continue having fun participating in the sport then have an injury that is permanent.

Overall I have mixed feelings about the race. On one hand I was thinking "why am I doing this - I'm dieing" most of the way, but on the other I'm excited for my Oly at the end of the summer. I think with more practice the anxiety will go away and I'll just be able to relax and enjoy the race.

Edited by LPJmom 2013-07-01 9:15 AM

2013-07-01 10:15 AM
in reply to: LPJmom

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: No longer a Tri virgin - Thanks BT !
Congratulations on finishing your first triathlon!
2013-07-01 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Nice job getting it done! I also had knee injury back in the beginning of the year. It was a very difficult time for me. Mine had improved enough to get trained up for my first sprint (this Sunday) but is still giving me some trouble. I too am super anxious!
2013-07-01 10:35 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Congratulations!  Good job for your first triathlon.  Good luck training for your Oly.

Mark

2013-07-01 10:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sincere congratulations, LPJmom! I hope to able to make a similar claim in September. If you don't mind my asking, what was the one thing that surprised you the most or that you weren't anticipating in your first event? Thanks and good luck with your Oly!

Edited by kalish 2013-07-01 10:42 AM
2013-07-01 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
Congratulations LPJmom, you're now officially a crazy triathlete, just like a bunch of us here on BT

Good luck with the Oly training and race.

2013-07-01 2:05 PM
in reply to: wartho

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
Originally posted by wartho

Congratulations... you're now officially a crazy triathlete

^
X2!
2013-07-01 8:22 PM
in reply to: kalish

User image

Originally posted by kalish

Sincere congratulations, LPJmom! I hope to able to make a similar claim in September. If you don't mind my asking, what was the one thing that surprised you the most or that you weren't anticipating in your first event? Thanks and good luck with your Oly!

1- I was way more nervous about it then I thought I would be.The level of anxiety I experienced was worse then any of my 3 pregnancies & birth, having gallbladder surgey, and a biopsy/lumpectomy put together. I don't know why it was so extreme as I've never experienced anything like that, but I'm sure the next race will be better. I'm hoping my hubby and kids will come and watch too.

2- I was expecting more comraderie between racers. The staff was polite and courteous but the racers that I had any interaction with were rather curt. I'm sure people were simply in their zone, thinking about the race etc... and afterwards people were too tired. I guess I expected it to be more like BT.

3- in terms of racing the segments, It was much harder to sight while swimming then I thought. Otherwise the swim/bike/run went as expected.

4- oh, and I got really thirsty. I don't know why I was feeling so dehydrated as I didn't do anything different then I normally do with training, but it is what it is. I hope that doesn't happen next race.
2013-07-02 8:49 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Congrates on completing your first Triathlon, now onward and upwards .
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No longer a Tri virgin - Thanks BT ! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

No longer a tri virgin!

Started by dukekern
Views: 852 Posts: 11

2011-06-16 9:24 AM dukekern

An Open Letter Thank You to BT (sorta long) Pages: 1 2

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 2932 Posts: 36

2007-11-04 6:20 PM sue7013

No longer a crash virgin!!!

Started by ChrisM
Views: 663 Posts: 6

2005-04-10 10:00 PM scuba-punk

No longer a crash virgin.

Started by possum
Views: 595 Posts: 5

2005-03-28 2:03 PM possum

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU BT

Started by lynda
Views: 960 Posts: 5

2005-03-12 10:33 PM Joe M
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2009
author : pdxbiker
comments : 2
With my new triathlon goal set, I had to find a pool, set a schedule, ramp up the cycling, and keep up the running.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : August 7, 2007
author : newinboston
comments : 6
Some would say there are easier ways to get in shape, and they are probably right. My first worry was being able to squeeze into a wetsuit by race day.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
I started the Beginner Triathlete training program in earnest after Chinese New Year. I viewed the distances in the peak week with trepidation - how on earth would I manage it?
date : April 19, 2005
author : Ron
How to configure and use your triathlon training log or blog.

date : October 17, 2004
author : infosteward
I want your tastes to be satisfied. I want you to feel like you’re coming home each Monday when you view the new articles uploaded to the site.