General Discussion Race Reports! » Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tupper Lake, New York
United States
Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 30m 44s
Overall Rank = 102/292
Age Group = 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 108/39
Pre-race routine:

Dud and I drove up Friday afternoon and headed up to Tupper Lake, about a 4 hour drive. We went to packet pickup and the expo. Then we went and checked in at the campgrounds and headed to the pre race dinner. Nothing special, but ran into some people we knew. Becky and her family came in as well.

After dinner, we set up in camp and settled in for the night.

This race starts a little later than most so we were up at 6, had some coffee and breakfast.
Event warmup:

Since we weren't going to pack up the RV until after the race so we could clean up, we road our bikes the 2 miles to the race site. After setting up transition, and wrestling into the wetsuit, I was able to get a very short swim in to check shoulder range of motion in the suit and to make sure goggles weren't leaking.
Swim
  • 42m 13s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

Started on the right side a few rows back. I got to swimming pretty quickly and thought I was going straight. The Garmin would indicate otherwise. I fell into a reasonable rhythm and tried not to let the incidental contact or getting squeeze distract me. About halfway out the first leg, things started to clear up and I had some room to swim, other than the occasional stray person going the wrong direction! (or maybe it was me).

From the top of the course back in, the rest of the swim was ok. Tried to focus on form and not the other swimmers.

Finishing I saw the low 40's on the watch as I was exiting and was pleased to be ahead of FL, but still a bit disappointed as I know I can break 40 minutes based on my training times.
What would you do differently?:

Hire the old ladies at the Y with the noodles to simulate the other people in the race.

Practice sighting more.
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Standing water in transition meant running around it.

Maybe move a bit quicker.
Bike
  • 2h 49m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Settled into the bike pretty quick heading out of town then the rain started. At first it wasn't too bad, but it was consistent. Nothing I can do about it so I just get moving trying to maintain my power numbers of 210 on the flats, 250 - 270 on the hills. Picking off the better swimmers one at a time.

Eventually the rain has gotten to a point where I have to put the visor up and it is making an impact on the ability to descend the hills. At the first water stop someone ahead of me starts wobbling after the aid station, then its side to side, and finally over the handle bars into a barrel roll. I'm thinking this guy is in trouble, but as I holler to him asking if he is ok, he pops up and says he is fine. So I keep going.

After about 35 miles or so, the legs are cold and I am struggling to hold the numbers. I think it is more mental than anything. I had caught Dudley and told him I wasn't doing any more races in the Adirondacks as this made me 2 for 2. Now I am hearing something rubbing but can't find where it is coming from. At halfway I stopped to look for the rubbing, no sign so I hit the porto potty and head back to transition.

I kept pushing, hoping to keep the time under 2:45, but as the rain continued the roads were wet and on one of the downhills, I try to let the bike go but as a truck went by, with the wet roads I begin to hydro plane and decide that caution is a better idea.

I usually like the bike, and for the most part I did with this race, but I was glad to be back to transition and off the bike.

I probably should have gone with the shallower wheels instead of the 808's, and maybe gone with the 12 - 28 cassette instead of the 11- 23, with the compact on the front.
My bike has seen significant gains this season, but the more I improve, the more I am expecting of myself.

Also, avoid wet races.
Transition 2
  • 03m 46s
Comments:

This should have been quicker but I needed another trip to the porto potty. This one would cost me, and I should have just skipped it.

Use my head.
Run
  • 1h 52m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

The goal pace was 8 - 8:15 so I started off at about 8 and it seemed ok. I settled in to the pace and started to click off miles. Passing some. being passed by others. The sun came out a bit and although it wasn't warm, it was humid. Lost some time on a couple of pretty good climbs, but made some of it up on the down hills.

I got a chance to see Dud a couple of times, for someone who had knee surgery not long ago, he was moving along really good. Nice to see a familiar face.

At the aid stations I was taking in water, dumping some over my head and occasionally an orange slice or watermelon for the sugar. I also had my EFS flask to take a sip off of every three or four miles.

I started struggling with a combination of the hills and a sore back about mile 8 or 9, but pushed through. These miles did drop down to a 9 minute pace though so my hopes of a 1:4X:XX HM started to fade, but I knew I still had a shot at breaking 5:30 for the overall time, so I tried to focus on that to get to the finish.

With about 2 miles to go I pass an old high school friend that I see once in a while at races. He is a pretty good athlete training for LP, so to catch him puts a little pickup in my pace which helps me gets to the finish a bit stronger.

Making the final turn towards the park, looking at the watch I know it is going to be close on the overall time but I am giving it my all. I finish, and come up short. Still, it is the best run time I have had in a HIM, so small improvements continue.

I know I can run a 1:45 HM in a HIM, I need to get over the hump mentally in the middle of the race when the going gets tough.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around sipping some water, Tim (old high school friend) comes over and we spend some time catching up. Nice to see him and here about his racing, family and career.

Caught up with Dud when he finished, grabbed a snack and a beer and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This wasn't an A race and time wise it was another significant PR overall, I still have areas to work on, mostly getting over the hump mentally knowing that I have the ability and endurance to push harder.

I am overall happy with the outcome.

Event comments:

Not a bad race, they have been doing this for a while.

Last updated: 2013-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:13 | 2112 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/39
Overall: 0/292
Performance: Average
Suit: Full sleeved
Course: Clockwise rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:49:38 | 56 miles | 19.79 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on Route 3 to Cranberry Lake
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:46
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:52:18 | 13.1 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Course: Rolling hills through Tupper Lake
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-07-02 5:05 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Course

2013-07-02 10:34 AM
in reply to: #4793617

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Course
Solid work, the rain & humidity make for a tough day no matter how much we prepare.
2013-07-02 12:11 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Congrats on the PR!!! The weather will be perfect for your "A" race in FL!!!!!
2013-07-02 3:46 PM
in reply to: robingray_260

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Ken,
Awesome job and a PR!

Racing in the rain on the bike is a challenge. I think it takes more focus and energy to do it in the rain so that may explain why you were off your run pace.
2013-07-02 9:14 PM
in reply to: acv

User image

Master
Sin City
Soild bike Ken despite the minor issues. I can't believe you visited a portapotty and still pulled off that speed avg. :D Makes me wish I was a man...easier!

You'll get your goal...just wish for no rain nor humidity. Good job, and now focus on your next race and ROCK it!!
2013-07-04 3:20 PM
in reply to: #4793617

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
You are becoming a triathlon Machine Ken! While your bike time is super for these conditions, all your splits make you a serious competitor. Looking forward to seeing you at Peasantman.....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Course

Started by cornick
Views: 1084 Posts: 1

2012-09-07 11:34 AM cornick

Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance

Started by sgillen
Views: 2651 Posts: 5

2008-07-02 7:18 PM dexter

Started by Rmaldon240
Views: 2643 Posts: 3

2007-07-07 2:35 PM mtnchick13

Started by mtnchick13
Views: 2706 Posts: 16

2007-07-06 9:54 AM Rmaldon240

Started by dexter
Views: 3535 Posts: 16

2007-07-14 9:16 PM Sharona1973
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.