General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How often do you flat? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-03 3:12 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

Subject: RE: How often do you flat?

I tried Armadillo's and they worked well. My current tires are these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CST-Czar-Pro-EPS-700x23c-Folding-Road-Bike-...

and they seem to work just as well, and are less expensive.

2013-07-03 3:42 PM
in reply to: north_north_west

User image

I mentioned this in another thread recently, but if you're having a lot of flats, you should be really looking for the cause of the flat.  Find where the hole is in the tube and match it up to the area of the tire or the rim.  If you find that you're having multiple flats in the same area, then you should be able to pinpoint the cause.
2013-07-03 5:22 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Expert
2 since 2005 (I used to get them more often on my old road bike). One of the two I got a screw imbedded into the tire.

When I got my new bike it was the winter and I was riding on the trainer exclusively, I got three or 4 flats in a row on my indoor trainer rides and they realized at the bike store that one or two of the spokes went a little too far into the hub and it was puncturing in the tires. They put on two layers of rim tape and I haven't had any problems since (that would have been the winter of 2011).
2013-07-03 9:24 PM
in reply to: north_north_west

User image

Originally posted by north_north_west

About once a season on the road. I used to flat once every 50 miles or so before I switched to Kevlar tires. I think it really is about the tires.

Also (you probably know this) when you get a flat, carefully look at the inside of the tire for the cause of the flat or you will get that same flat again...

I think this is the key. When I first got my bike I got several flats in a row. I never checked the inside or outside of the tire but I'm sure there was a piece of something in the tire that kept causing the same flat over and over. I also was taught to blow (by mouth) a little air in the tube to give it some structure before pushing it back into the tire.

I got my first flat in 5 years last Saturday. I saw a single piece of glass in the road and couldn't avoid. Heard the tap.. tap.. tap.. as it worked it's way into the tire and flat.

Keba
2013-07-03 10:12 PM
in reply to: wide awake

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mendenhall, MS
i have not flatten since june 2010. but im running gatorskin tires which i have heard there a lot slower, but not as slow as changing a tire on the side of road. Im knocking on wood right now, cause my luck i will have one in the morning.

2013-07-04 7:11 PM

Veteran
Ontario
In twelve or so years I've had one flat while on the road and two valves that leaked out between rides. I'm pretty sure I've had one or two flats on my mountain bike but that was at least ten years ago.

As for tires I just ride what came with the bike.

2013-07-05 12:46 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
5389.08 miles, 3 flats, 1.5 years. None on the Gatorskins (two road bikes, 2 happened on the tires that came with the first one, the last one on the tires that came with the second one, maybe I should swap the tires on the two bikes since I exclusively use the second one now... so one flat on that since I got it in March.
2013-07-05 7:31 AM
in reply to: Curtisb

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by Curtisb i have not flatten since june 2010. but im running gatorskin tires which i have heard there a lot slower, but not as slow as changing a tire on the side of road. Im knocking on wood right now, cause my luck i will have one in the morning.

Depending on how adept you are at changing a flat...

The Conti GP 4000s tires are very durable (not as durable as the Gatorskins for sure) and have WAY better rolling resistance and aerodynamic qualities than the Gatorskins.  Some of the aero weenie types over at ST actually ran some numbers and it was really eye opening.  You could probably change two flats with the time savings in an IM by using 4000s over Gators.

That's assuming you can change a tire in a reasonable amount of time (less than 5 min).

2013-07-05 7:54 AM
in reply to: GatorDeb

User image

Expert
Falls Church
I commute every day to and from work.  About 100 miles a week.  I was averaging one flat/year until two weeks ago.  Then 2 flats in 24 hours.  Turns out I had glass ground in the tire that I didn't see/feel the first time.  So hopefully that will be it until this time next year!
2013-07-05 8:02 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by wide awake...Am I just unlucky, or do others flat this often? It usually bits of metal or nails, the occasional sharp rock... is this uncommon?

Are you making sure to completely clean out the inside of the tire before putting the new tube in?
Sharp rocks suggest that a more robust tire is needed. Also, make sure you're at the recommended pressure or even above it to avoid pinch flats.
I haven't had a flat on my road bike (Cadence tires), although admittedly I don't ride it more than once or twice a week. Most of my training is done on a touring bike due to the potholes, gravel, frost cracks, and level crossings that I encounter.

Edited by Seabeast 2013-07-05 8:03 AM
2013-07-05 8:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
It was mentioned once already, but x2 on checking the wheel side of the tube as opposed to the tire side. I had very very few flats since I stated riding my tri bike in 2011... then I bought a road bike last fall and all was good. After about 6 months of rotating the road bike in for rides, all of a sudden I got two flats in one ride. I couldn't find a source so chalked it up to bad luck but it happened again the very next ride. After that I looked really hard at the rim tape and found that it had moved very slightly to expose a couple of the spoke holes. Replaced the cheap stock rim tape with velox and no issues since.

2013-07-05 7:54 PM
in reply to: spearit

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
Originally posted by spearit

I'm not gonna say anything till after my race tomorrow

OK, (my race is over now ), I have never flatted in a race in 3 years, but I ride Conti Gator Hardshells to train and race. I know they are slow, but I suck at tube changing. I mount new Gators 1 week prior to my A race and forget about them for 12 months. Done
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How often do you flat? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

How often do you get flats? Pages: 1 2

Started by AndrewMT
Views: 2134 Posts: 42

2010-11-02 8:16 AM brooksinc1976

How often do you flat?

Started by TheEdge
Views: 1790 Posts: 24

2010-07-04 8:52 AM trotpntbll

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1646 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

How Often Do You Get A Flat Tire? Pages: 1 2

Started by supa-powa
Views: 2230 Posts: 46

2009-05-15 2:59 PM TrishM

How often do you get a flat tire?

Started by krypt
Views: 2198 Posts: 13

2009-04-15 3:33 PM offrhodes
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 0
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.
date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
Push-Up - Flat Bench strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
Step-Up With a Flat Bench strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?

date : July 5, 2005
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
The company’s first two offerings are an aerodynamic hydration system and a saddle bag repair kit. PodiumQuest sets itself apart by paying attention to the little things.