General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Issues While Running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-04 6:37 PM

User image

Subject: Heart Rate Issues While Running
My workout today consisted of a 90 min run (30 min W/U easy (zone 1), 2 800's (3 min rest between), and then a mile (4 min rest)....after the speed set, all in upper zone 4, the rest of the time was to be spent in zone 2.

One problem: all of my time was spent in zone 4/zone 5, and even approached upper zone 5. I was fried after 60 minutes.

I didn't get out to run until 12:00 today, and it was really hot and humid (South Carolina).

I can't ever seem to run slow enough, as stupid as it sounds, to get my heart rate into zones 1 or 2. This is regardless of outdoor conditions.

Any advice? I'm afraid of blowing up (nutritionally) on the run during a HIM, which has happened before.

Should I just nutritionally take in more calories while i'm running, and forget the HR zones altogether?

2013-07-04 8:06 PM
in reply to: jerniman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Issues While Running
How did you establish your zones? Check ego at the door and walk if you have to. I'm willing to guess that majority of us had to walk when we started out with HR training.
2013-07-04 10:36 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Sorry--I wasn't trying to sound egotistical (my apology if it came across that way...I'm not a fast runner). I'll expand on what I said earlier.

I established my zones using a 5K time trial, running at a pace that was strong but not overbearing. I did this about 3 months ago.

If I run an 8:45 mile, my HR is usually in Z4. If I run a 7:45 pace (which is moving for me), I might be upper Z4, low Z5.

I did have to stop today to slow my HR down...when I resumed, I was running about 9:30 pace for my last 2 miles and I was immediately back into upper Z4.

2013-07-05 6:02 AM

User image

Regular
Arlington, VA
I don't thing Gaug3 meant that you came off egotistical. He meant, as many of us have found, that it's almost shameful to run as slow as you need to in order to stay in Z2. I've gotten faster, but when I started HR training I was running about 9:30s to stay in Z2. Anytime there was ANY uphill, it almost certainly meant I needed to walk to stay in my zone. My guess is you either a) need to test zones more accurately (vo2max) b) run slower. Probably b.

I don't know where you got that workout from, but I sort of take issue with it. If I spend any significant amount of time in z4 and z5, I either need a huge amount of rest or need to go suuuuper slow to stay in Z2. Once your HR gets up there, it can be hard to bring it back down during the same workout. Some people call Z2 the "paper bag" zone because we want to wear a paper bag over our heads as we run.

Check your ego (pride) at the door and take it easy. I promise, you can always run slower.
2013-07-05 6:10 AM

User image

Regular
Your HR will almost certainly rise up some with hot and humid conditions. I live in FL and notice my HR spikes when it is warm and humid vs. the cooler months or when I travel to a differrent climate.
2013-07-05 9:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jerniman

Sorry--I wasn't trying to sound egotistical (my apology if it came across that way...I'm not a fast runner). I'll expand on what I said earlier.

I established my zones using a 5K time trial, running at a pace that was strong but not overbearing. I did this about 3 months ago.

If I run an 8:45 mile, my HR is usually in Z4. If I run a 7:45 pace (which is moving for me), I might be upper Z4, low Z5.

I did have to stop today to slow my HR down...when I resumed, I was running about 9:30 pace for my last 2 miles and I was immediately back into upper Z4.

You are not coming off egotistical. I was telling you what I tell myself. I walk out the door and leave my ego at the porch. Sometimes you will have to walk and there is nothing wrong with it. When I first started HR training about 2 years ago, I had a blazing Z2 @ 11:30-12:00 pace. I had to walk... a lot. The southern heat and humidity helped kill the pace. Now, I run about 9:45-10:00. Just have to stick to it.

2013-07-05 9:50 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
The heat will effect you.  You will get cardiac drift over time (meaning your HR will elevate over time due to heat) and after an hour you kind of have to throw HR out as a guage.  Only way to get used to the heat is to train in it and it takes a long time.  I have lived in various southern places the last 10 years and now running in high 80s low 90s doesn't bug me too much anymore.  Its always humid too so it is what it is. 
2013-07-05 9:58 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Originally posted by jerniman
I established my zones using a 5K time trial, running at a pace that was strong but not overbearing.

You may want to recheck your zones using one of the more generally accepted field tests. I don't think a "strong but not overbearing" 5k is a good indicator. I could be wrong... check out these BT articles
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/category.asp?catid=54
2013-07-05 10:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
I've been doing HR training and using the Maffetone Method. It is definitely an ego crusher. Been doing this for a few months now. With the recent heat and humidity my avg zone 2 pace usually starts at about 10:00/m for the first mile then goes downhill from there usually ending up in about a 13:00/m pace by mile 5 or so. Any slight incline at all and I am pretty much walking to stay in zone 2. I have heard numerous people say that if you can bring water with you on the run, do it. Your body works extra hard as it loses hydration, causing your HR to increase. Its a bit frustrating but one thing I can tell you.......... I have stayed injury free and have logged more miles than I ever have before running in zone 2.

Edited by spiderjunior 2013-07-05 10:21 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Issues While Running Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Heart rate strap issues

Started by mike761
Views: 1753 Posts: 9

2013-02-19 7:17 PM Seabeast

Polar RXC5 heart rate training issue

Started by dannymatt74
Views: 1513 Posts: 3

2013-02-01 11:27 AM NewClydesdale

Heart Rate Monitor Issue

Started by justinag28
Views: 832 Posts: 4

2012-08-03 8:53 AM bicyclpete

Heart Rate Issues

Started by fgoebert
Views: 664 Posts: 4

2009-03-06 7:55 PM REATHCON

High heart rate and breathing rate after bike

Started by derekh25
Views: 1154 Posts: 3

2004-08-19 9:32 AM triman50
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2007
comments : 1
This article will show you how to construct a run training program for your second season of running using your calculated heart-rate zones.

date : May 21, 2007
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Nutrition, hydration and pacing for the swim, bike and run of an olympic distance triathlon.
date : November 7, 2006
Training our bodies to work efficiently in Zone 2 will help us keep our HR and pace even throughout an Ironman. This theory would hold true for the bike and run portion of an Ironman race.

date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.
date : November 27, 2005
Focus on doing the drills and improving each week. Eventually you will go out for a run, look down, and see that your pace has improved, your heart rate is lower, and your cadence is over 90 rpm.

date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.