NYC Sports Commission
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 51m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 202/346
Pre-race routine:

Walked and walked some more. Transition closed at 5:45AM, but my wave didn't start until after 8AM, so lots of time to hang out. We had to walk about a mile to the swim start from the transition area. Along with some other folks, I watched the elite athletes exit the swim and saw some pretty nasty stuff floating by. Tried not to think about it too much.
Event warmup:

The aforementioned walking.
Swim
  • 18m 13s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was an in-the-water wave start with about 75 other people in my age group. We were swimming with the current so had to hang on to a rope before the start to avoid being swept downstream. Nice! Apparently the favorable current had slowed from the earlier waves, but it certainly helped a lot (hence the crazy finishing time).

The swim itself was pretty uneventful. There was a little kicking and splashing at the start, but the field spread out fairly quickly. The course was about 20 yards wide, marked by buoys and kayakers. They also had markers every 300m on the seawall, which was helpful.

The water was murky, so I wasn't able to get a good draft, but it didn't really matter with the current. The end of the swim was very shallow about 50 meters out, but you couldn't really stand up because of the silt. Close to the end, I had one big gulp of the Hudson, which initiated the gag reflex, but it turned out OK :)
What would you do differently?:

Not drink from the Hudson.
Transition 1
  • 07m 30s
Comments:

There was a longish run on asphalt to T1- longer than I expected. It was a little painful for the feet, but OK. I felt like I was in slow motion during the transition but couldn't point to one thing in particular that was poor. It was also a long way from my bike rack to the bike exit.

Wear trisuit.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 41s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.40 mile/hr
Comments:

For me, this was a fast ride. I averaged about 1.5MPH faster than training rides and didn't get passed as much as I usually do! I felt good and stayed aero for most of the race. The course was almost a straight out and back up and down the Henry Hudson Parkway. Pretty scenic, as well, as it followed the Hudson for most of the way. It was mostly flat at the beginning and end but somewhat hilly during the middle part of the course.

The course was rough in places, and I saw lots of people changing out flats on the side of the road. There was virtually no crowd support on the course, as there really wasn't anyplace convenient to watch the race.

Like others have mentioned, I measured just under 26 miles according to my computer.

More hydration.
Transition 2
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

Took a gel and a quick bathroom break. Everything went pretty smoothly, otherwise.
Run
  • 57m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a subpar run for me. I had gone pretty hard on the bike, and it showed on my run performance. Soon after mile 1, which was mostly uphill, my quads and hamstrings started locking up, and I went into walk/run mode. It was also a very hot day, and I think I also need to tweak my fluid and nutrition.

The run course itself was nice- mostly through Central Park and often in the shade (thank goodness). We were sharing the run paths with all the other weekend runners, which was not a problem at all, as there was plenty of room. Kind of fun, too- lots of support from folks out for their morning workouts.

More bricks in training; re-evaluate hydration/nutrition.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a couple of miles back to transition and to car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, pacing on bike.

Event comments:

Overall it was a well-managed race. I'm glad I did it but probably wouldn't do it again due to the high cost and difficult logistics getting around the city during registration and on race day.

Last updated: 2006-07-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:13 | 1640 yards | 01m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 38/346
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: River course
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:25:41 | 24.85 miles | 17.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 230/346
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Up and down Henry Hudson Pkwy. Moderately hilly near turn around point.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:22
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:08 | 06.21 miles | 09m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 192/346
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-18 8:20 PM

User image

Regular
MD
Subject: New York City Triathlon

2006-07-18 9:34 PM
in reply to: #486524

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: New York City Triathlon

Congratulations!

I did this race last year and had a great time.  Great event, GREAT city!

2006-07-19 10:08 AM

User image

Master
New York
Congrats! I raced it as well, and agree 100% about the cost/logistics of getting around the city before/after the race.

Great report!
2006-07-19 11:32 AM
in reply to: #486573

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn, NY
Great Race report.

I participated (Hate to use the word raced) as well. I live in the city so the cost/ logistics wasn't really a factor for me.

I heard from lots of folks that have done this race in years past that the water was the worst they have ever experienced. Just our luck!

2006-07-19 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Nice job!

I also agree about the logistics and cost of doing the race. It was great to race in the city, but too expensive and difficult to get around for out-of-towners.

I posted a pic of some of the debris in the swim lane in my rr if you want to check it out: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=49236.

Congratulations!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New York City Triathlon Rss Feed