General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does this exist? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-05 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran
indiana
Subject: Does this exist?
I am looking for an iPhone app that let's me put a route in, and get turn by turn voice navigation.
I went for a long ride yesterday and had a route, but had to stop several times to check when the next turn was, which got a bit annoying.
I just don't know what to search for, didn't know if anyone had anything like this?

2013-07-05 8:43 AM
in reply to: ditchmedic

User image

Subject: RE: Does this exist?
There's a TomTom app that does what you want it to but the limiter is your phone battery. It's a massive drain on battery and you won't get much longer than 90 minutes out of it. I used a similar app when I was learning the trails in an area I moved to and it navigated me perfectly 8 miles from my house (running across trails) and then battery ran out. Happy days!
2013-07-05 12:34 PM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Miami
I think mapmyride may work for you. I only used it to record routes so far (I downloaded it last week), but I think it gives you directions by voice when following a route.
2013-07-05 12:50 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
If an app exists, it will probably be pretty rough on the battery.

pretty much any current Garmin GPS for bikes, (including the 310xt and 910xt) have route capabilities. Depending on the model, you can get moving maps with street databases, or just a basic map with route guidance.

The new Edge computers, the 510 and 810, have Garmin connect options where you pair the head unit to your phone, and you can do live updates for friends and family (can track you real-time, big brother really can watch you) and also get weather alerts using the phone data connection.

I don't have any experience with the 510/810, but I've used both a 310XT and an Edge 500 for 50 to 60 mile route plans.

Disclaimer; I don't work for Garmin, just a regular consumer.
2013-07-05 1:20 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by davidfedez I think mapmyride may work for you. I only used it to record routes so far (I downloaded it last week), but I think it gives you directions by voice when following a route.

It does? I couldn't figure out how to get it to give me audible turn-by-turns, but it does show your moving position via a little blue dot - which is cool. Still had to stop and look at the phone to see directions.

Definitely drained the battery - my ~4-hour ride drained it from 100% to 30% before I finally turned it off.

2013-07-06 5:43 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I used MapMyRide on this morning shop ride. Only audible cues I got were the splits -- a report of progress and speed, both average-from-start and split, for each mile. Didn't give me turn-by-turn at all, and I haven't been able to figure out how it would. Though in the 90 minutes or so for the ride, it only drained about 23% of the battery life (Motorola 4G phone).

2013-07-06 11:12 PM
in reply to: tcj103

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Originally posted by tcj103

If an app exists, it will probably be pretty rough on the battery.

pretty much any current Garmin GPS for bikes, (including the 310xt and 910xt) have route capabilities. Depending on the model, you can get moving maps with street databases, or just a basic map with route guidance.

The new Edge computers, the 510 and 810, have Garmin connect options where you pair the head unit to your phone, and you can do live updates for friends and family (can track you real-time, big brother really can watch you) and also get weather alerts using the phone data connection.

I don't have any experience with the 510/810, but I've used both a 310XT and an Edge 500 for 50 to 60 mile route plans.

Disclaimer; I don't work for Garmin, just a regular consumer.

This feature is great. I've used it on several rides and runs when traveling and it hasn't failed me yet. It did take some time to figure out, but as with most things, the first time is always the most difficult. While it doesn't give a voice direction, it does provide a map with the planned route and an arrow marking your current location. Very similar to using Google maps on a smart phone.
2013-07-07 8:33 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Miami
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by davidfedez I think mapmyride may work for you. I only used it to record routes so far (I downloaded it last week), but I think it gives you directions by voice when following a route.

It does? I couldn't figure out how to get it to give me audible turn-by-turns, but it does show your moving position via a little blue dot - which is cool. Still had to stop and look at the phone to see directions.

Definitely drained the battery - my ~4-hour ride drained it from 100% to 30% before I finally turned it off.

No it does not. I thought it did and that was one of the reason I downloaded it, but I tried to use it today and I couldn't get audible turn-by-turn directions. I apologize for the misunderstanding!
2013-07-08 6:18 PM
in reply to: cwpeters

How does this work on the 910xt? I gave it a shot today, but had some issues figuring it out. I created a route on Garmin Connect, sent it to my watch, found it on the watch, hit "Do This Route" and then i was lost. Are there any videos out there showing how to use this feature?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does this exist? Rss Feed