General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Monday after big weekend? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-07 5:14 PM

Veteran
Subject: Monday after big weekend?
I'm at the early stages of my IM prep in 10 months time...between I have three HIM races...

My weekend training is at about 6 hours in total at the moment. I'm a weak cyclist so focusing on that at the moment. Did 2:30 of strength work with hill repeats on the bike on Saturday and a 30 min run. Sunday was a steady 3:00 ride. With a dinner out on Friday night and a wedding reception on Saturday night...had very little time to rest.

This morning the plan was to get up at my normal 4:30 and head to do my swim session...but I was just to tired..

I guess things are going to get worse with full on IM training.

How do others cope with the volume, recovery and realistic training for the Mondays in their training...?

2013-07-07 5:20 PM
in reply to: #4797743

User image

Subject: RE: Monday after big weekend?
I swim Monday mornings. It becomes automatic. Also I like to get it out of the way in case something comes up later in the week.
2013-07-07 6:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Same here Mondays and Thursdays are usually easy recovery swims for me because I bike sat, then swim and bike or bike, run sunday, and then Wednesday is 1hr strength at lunch followed after work by a club OWS Splash and dash 1 to 1.5 mile swim with a 3 to 5 mile run, after that Thursdays I am usually pretty beat and sore so an easy 1600M in the pool at lunch on Thursday usually loosens things back up again, I just keep the swim light and easy no power drills or anything like that, just nice easy relaxed laps and if I want to stop every 50 for a rest I don't hesitate to do that, but usually I will just do 50M freestyle then 50M return lap breath stroke. But sometime depending on the way thing went on the weekend like you discovered a rest day might well be in order.

Edited by RRH_88 2013-07-07 6:20 PM
2013-07-08 6:46 AM
in reply to: RRH_88

User image

Regular
Arlington, VA
I never do workouts monday morning. By not planning anything that morning, I get about 24-36 hours of rest after my long sunday session. Sometimes I'll do yoga on Monday morning, but that's only if I accidentally wake up early. No Alarm clocks on mondays.
2013-07-08 8:23 AM
in reply to: getfitfast

User image

Wichita
I don't do IM's but I intentionally put my Monday mornings as a rest day after I do my long workouts on the weekend. You need a day of recovery. I know some people do their rest on Fridays for the rest before the long hauls on the weekends. I just know I'm not going to get up on Monday mornings to get stuff done so I do what I need to do to get my workouts in.
2013-07-08 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
I just peaked at shy of 18 hours for my biggest training week for IMLP. If you look at my training logs, you'll see nearly every Monday is a rest day. Recovery is part of training too. I'm 46 years old and shooting for the 12 hour range and might go sub 12 if it's an absolutely perfect day, but will likely be around 12:15:xx.

You may be shooting for a better time and might get a little more consistent with longer weeks than I did ... but I do feel recovery days are vital. I'm a fan of doing nothing on those days an extra occasionally if my body is telling me it needs the break. That happens a bit more now that I've passed 45.

Recovery days are what allow you to really nail your harder workouts. When you nail your harder workouts, you do so much more for your overall training than if you just train perpetually fatigued.

2013-07-08 5:09 PM
in reply to: BernardDogs

Veteran
Originally posted by BernardDogs

I just peaked at shy of 18 hours for my biggest training week for IMLP. If you look at my training logs, you'll see nearly every Monday is a rest day. Recovery is part of training too. I'm 46 years old and shooting for the 12 hour range and might go sub 12 if it's an absolutely perfect day, but will likely be around 12:15:xx.

You may be shooting for a better time and might get a little more consistent with longer weeks than I did ... but I do feel recovery days are vital. I'm a fan of doing nothing on those days an extra occasionally if my body is telling me it needs the break. That happens a bit more now that I've passed 45.

Recovery days are what allow you to really nail your harder workouts. When you nail your harder workouts, you do so much more for your overall training than if you just train perpetually fatigued.

That's great feedback. I am 47...this is my first IM and I am a BOP participant in this sport....I like the 36 hour rule and not setting the alarm. I managed to get my swim in after work yesterday. Interesting I do have a coach and she is good...but there is no scheduled down tools rest day. Often due to work and family I don't get through all my training...but a guilt free rest day would be nice to have!
2013-07-08 6:25 PM

My weekends are high volume as well, with a Monday morning swim in the schedule. My pool runs pretty cold and every time I think of skipping, I just remember how absolutely nice and refreshing that cool swim is on my body. I generally feel worse if I don't get my swimming in, it seems to loosen up the aches from the weekend.

Currently in week 12 of 30, Be Iron Fit, Competitive Program.
2013-07-08 6:47 PM

User image

Originally posted by getfitfast  With a dinner out on Friday night and a wedding reception on Saturday night...had very little time to rest. 

This is what stuck out to me in your post.  IM or any endurance training is not just about what you do during your training sessions, but is a combination of all your time and energy spent (or saved).  Take some additional rest when you need it, but unless your Friday and Saturday night is always going to be like this, then I don't see an immediate need for you to permanently change your Monday AM schedule.

2013-07-08 9:38 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by getfitfast  With a dinner out on Friday night and a wedding reception on Saturday night...had very little time to rest. 

This is what stuck out to me in your post.  IM or any endurance training is not just about what you do during your training sessions, but is a combination of all your time and energy spent (or saved).  Take some additional rest when you need it, but unless your Friday and Saturday night is always going to be like this, then I don't see an immediate need for you to permanently change your Monday AM schedule.

Not normal routine....fortunately...
2013-07-09 11:58 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Just do it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Monday after big weekend? Rss Feed