General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lifetime tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-07-13 2:55 PM
in reply to: PBrr

User image

Minneapolis
Subject: RE: Lifetime tri
I noticed the bike was longer because it went around the lake again. I forgot to reset my computer so I don't know how far it was, I came here to ask!

The water was super choppy and crowded! Definitely the worst OWS I've been involved in. That said, other than getting several mouth fulls of water and getting blocked in my slower swimmer, I felt pretty good and was able to stay calm/smooth.

2013-07-13 3:01 PM
in reply to: frizbplaya

User image

Minneapolis
Oh, and after all that talk about bumpy roads and tightening your bolts... my right aero bar came loose about 3 miles in so I had to ride on the bull horns the rest of the way. Whoops!
2013-07-13 3:52 PM

User image

Regular
Bloomington
I had watch issues too and didn't get an accurate bike distance. I mapped it out on Garmin Connect and got about 16.65. The results they handed out at the race used 15 miles in the splits. My speed looked really slow on the results but actually wasn't too bad. I nearly biffed it on the first roundabout - I came in too fast and when I hit the breaks they were wet and slippery. I made it through in one piece but nearly took out a guy - I feel really horrible.

I'm glad I did this race, but I doubt I'll be back - bumpy roads, too crowded and the food was no better than a Randy race (unless you qualified for upgraded food)
2013-07-13 7:48 PM
in reply to: BloomingRunner

User image

New user
I had some guy in a Twins visor decide that he was going to cross that roundabout right when I was coming through there hard - nearly took us both out. Ugh.

And the lack of food by the time I finished was ridiculous - potato chips, bagels and that was about it. This is just like Trinona, where they were selling food to supporters and by the time my DH finished the long course, all they had was cold sandwiches.

I'm with you on the roads and number of racers. I have the Cleveland Tri in 3 weeks, and then the YWCA and MG. Hopefully they're not as frustrating as this one was.
2013-07-13 8:02 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Originally posted by PBrr

I had some guy in a Twins visor decide that he was going to cross that roundabout right when I was coming through there hard - nearly took us both out. Ugh.

And the lack of food by the time I finished was ridiculous - potato chips, bagels and that was about it. This is just like Trinona, where they were selling food to supporters and by the time my DH finished the long course, all they had was cold sandwiches.

I'm with you on the roads and number of racers. I have the Cleveland Tri in 3 weeks, and then the YWCA and MG. Hopefully they're not as frustrating as this one was.

Food was very sub standard compared to previous years. The food you mentioned and bananas and oranges. Not to mention the fact that the food tent was on the other side of the park away from the finish and surrounded by a moat. I know the moat aspect was not the coordinators fault.

2013-07-13 8:12 PM
in reply to: peteweb55403

User image

New user
I was overall disappointed in the food compared to last year. I am impressed with how the organizers handled the weather that was thrown at them, though.

Hopefully MG won't have to deal with the same type of weather!

2013-07-13 9:03 PM

User image

This was my 1st ever tri so I have no means of comparison.  That being said, I was a little disappointed in the fare also.  I've also never gotten such a paper thin t-shirt that makes you look for the fine print to see what it's for.  As everyone knows, the roads were pretty crappy too.

Despite all of that, I really enjoyed it. I think the organizers did a good job moving forward in the face of the weather issues.  I also think 99% of the volunteers were great.  Even the ones that I wouldn't consider great were still decent.  If there are "better" races, I can't wait to give them a whirl.  From what I hear, MG is pretty nice (my next race).

2013-07-13 10:05 PM
in reply to: dbrook1

User image

I had my Garmin going and can confirm the distance of 16.7 miles on the bike. Wasnt a big deal, but would have been nice to include that fact in the announcements prior to the race. That being said, the organizers had a ton on their hands and should be applauded for their work. Agree with the consensus about the post race events/food, pretty weak for being the largest most expensive race in the state. Overall still a great overall event. How cool is it to be rubbing elbows with the pros that this race brings in.

On a personal race note, I was giddy with my results for my 2nd Tri ...improved 25 spots in my age group. Just might be hooked on this great sport!!

Congrats to all the participants!! And hats off to the organizers and volunteers...thank you for your amazing efforts today!!
2013-07-13 10:21 PM
in reply to: goirish1

User image

Minneapolis
Did you guys notice the finisher medal doubles as magnet and bottle opener? Imo, that makes up for the crappy food.
2013-07-13 10:31 PM

User image

Originally posted by frizbplaya Did you guys notice the finisher medal doubles as magnet and bottle opener? Imo, that makes up for the crappy food.

I did not.  Thanks for pointing that out.  That's pretty cool.

2013-07-14 8:26 AM
in reply to: dbrook1

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-07-14 12:57 PM
in reply to: FoggyGoggles

Minneapolis, MN
Originally posted by FoggyGoggles

My Garmin read 16.76 on the bike course and 3.33 on the run course. Not sure how the run course was stretched since it's easily controllable. (Maybe the change in the run out?

Tough swim for sure. I thought I was about to pull a couple of swimmers over to a lifeguard as we rounded the the triangle. It was quite surreal to swim past people just treading water to catch their breath / calm down.

The wind got me on the last 1.5 miles as we headed into transition. (I'd say it was one part wind and one part nutrition as we started 2 hours late.) made for a very tough run that I just suffered through.

Good learning experience for me. I was impressed with the tough decisions that the LTF Team had to make on the spot. I didn't hear any complaining about the changes and the race was extremely well supported.

And yes, the food was disappointing.

Ya so the change in course ( bike doubling back around the lake, and moving the run out location) both added to the distance. 16.6ish seems to be the consensus for the bike and run a little farther than 3.1.

In the results the bike speed is calculated on the original shorter distance, so eveyones listed pace will be slower than it actually was.

All in all the change in the bike course was pretty smart. So that no bikers cross each others paths, while people were on their bikes.

I wish they were more vigilant about keeping early finishers out of transition, too give everyone the same experience.

2013-07-14 3:52 PM

New user

It looks like the official results have been updated and now calculate bike speed properly
2013-07-14 7:57 PM

New user
Originally posted by frizbplaya

Did you guys notice the finisher medal doubles as magnet and bottle opener? Imo, that makes up for the crappy food.

I cannot get it off my fridge!

As a newbie I found the swim difficult with the amount of people and the wind/waves/current. Hoping for a better swim performance in Chisago
2013-07-14 11:58 PM

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
They tried mightily but the self-entitlement of many triathletes was very overpowering. "I need my bike to catch a flight" is what I heard about 20 or so times.
2013-07-15 9:25 PM
in reply to: trying2swim

New user
The swim was difficult, especially with the wind pushing us around. I'm hoping that the weather will cooperate next month when I swim it again for the YWCA.

And hey, for your first tri, you've proven you can swim ANYTHING!

2013-07-15 9:38 PM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
Maple Grove

Originally posted by bcagle25 They tried mightily but the self-entitlement of many triathletes was very overpowering. "I need my bike to catch a flight" is what I heard about 20 or so times.

I thought they were fairly reasonable about it, only letting 5 in for 5 out. I wandered around for an hour after the race, then had to wait 15 minutes just to get in. It's usually not that much of an issue because the sprinters generally start an hour later but take an hour less time to finish. But because everyone did the sprint, you were going to have speedy oly distance people finish at 10:20, which was before some people probably even started. I held out till noon, but it was my wedding anniversary and I had to get goingFoot in mouth 

As to the course being crowded, it was likely due to the compression of the TT start, with people going off 2 at a time, and the lack of a break between waves. The food was certainly disappointing, but the chocolate zico hit the spot, right at the finish line. 

There was one thing I found very surprising looking at the results. All of the age groupers did the same course. I finished 29/106 in my AG and 179 out of 769 overall, comparing only to others who signed up to race olympic. However, had I actually signed up for the sprint, I would have finished 21 overall and 2nd in my AG!  I'm really surprised that more speedy people don't sign up for the short course. Is it possible this was some sort of error? Or do more people race the long course due to the opportunity to rub elbows with olympians?

Edited by rdailey1 2013-07-15 9:39 PM
2013-07-16 8:44 AM
in reply to: rdailey1

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Ryan - In my experience, in general, sprint races are almost always raced by less experienced people.  Unless you have a sprint ONLY race, in a good venue (i.e. Lake Minnetonka) will you get more competition.   Lots of folks think sprint is for beginners.   That's why I love doing sprints - I feel like a pro    I will routinely come in last in Olys, but mid-pack in Sprints. 
2013-07-16 1:27 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

Veteran
Maple Grove
Emily, that makes a lot of sense to me. I guess that's why you see those t shirts out there that say "Short course is not a crime." 
2013-07-16 7:53 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

New user
Absolutely, and I wear mine with pride!
2013-07-17 10:32 AM

Minneapolis
I saw this too. LTF was my first non-sprint-only tri and I placed significantly better without actually performing better I was super surprised to see my swim was 66th overall in the sprint so I checked the international results and I would have been like 240th. That's more what I expected!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lifetime tri Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Mpls Lifetime Tri - which bike?

Started by musicmcb
Views: 1498 Posts: 12

2012-06-18 4:01 AM shaunjamison

Lifetime Fitness Tri...Who's Gettin' Nasty Pages: 1 2 3

Started by SneakySpeed
Views: 6637 Posts: 63

2011-07-10 10:07 PM Climbinggonzo

West River Road...Lifetime Tri

Started by Jelly21
Views: 1367 Posts: 11

2010-05-20 3:28 PM mmrocker13

'Celebrity' at Lifetime Fitness Tri...

Started by sparco
Views: 970 Posts: 1

2006-06-26 1:18 PM sparco

FYI - Lifetime Fitness Tri nearly full

Started by Matchman
Views: 801 Posts: 1

2006-05-03 9:30 AM Matchman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.