General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero bars on rental bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-09 2:11 PM

User image

Regular
Alaska
Subject: Aero bars on rental bike
So, I'm renting a bike in Chicago for the 70.3 in Racine, WI. I asked the guy if I can bring my aero bars and put them on that bike for the race. He said I could, but I'm afraid that I'll mess up my shifters, and I have no idea what I'm doing. Any tips? What does everybody else do when they rent a bike without aero bars? (I haven't found anybody who rents a bike with them already installed)

2013-07-09 2:57 PM
in reply to: davidm724

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northbrook
Subject: RE: Aero bars on rental bike
I rented a bike for a race only once and that was for the San Francisco Escape from the Rock tri, no need for aero bars there .

From what I remember, Racine is pretty flat so aero bars might not be needed, but even if you want to put them on, it shouldn't mess up your shifters in any way.
2013-07-09 3:52 PM
in reply to: Maks Tri

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Are you saying you want to put on your own cockpit (Base Bar with shifters/brakes, aero extensions etc.) onto a rental bike or simply put bolt-on aero bars onto the rental?  If it's the former-a decent bike shop could do that. Shouldn't hurt your shifters at all.  If it's the latter-YOU can do that yourself.  Just make sure the aero bars don't damage the tape/handlebar of the rental bike.
2013-07-11 5:37 AM
in reply to: davidm724

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Before anything else, what kind of bike are you renting? A road bike, a tri bike? The answer would be very different...

For a road bike, you would need ITU (aka. Shortie) clip-on, which has nothing to do with the shifters at all... These types of aerobars will allow you to still ride the bike with a good balance (i.e. like a road bike, with the weight rearward).

For a tri bike, as long as the aerobars that's already on the bike are adjustable enough (and most are) to fit you, don't mess with it and change them out to your own... More than likely, you're not going to ride the bike a few weeks before the race, so cable stretch would be a major concern... you don't want to have a bike during the race that doesn't shift properly.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero bars on rental bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Comments on my Road Bike with Aero Bars and My Aero Positon

Started by Lukester1980
Views: 4014 Posts: 6

2008-06-02 12:16 PM Lukester1980

Handle bar + Aero bars for a tri bike

Started by Plissken74
Views: 928 Posts: 3

2008-05-31 11:02 AM newbz

Aluminum Base Bar and Aero Bar Suggestions

Started by ipull400watts
Views: 884 Posts: 3

2008-04-24 10:11 PM newbz

aero bars + bar tape question

Started by tkbslc
Views: 641 Posts: 2

2007-04-03 5:13 PM runpuddrun

profile century bar aero bar?

Started by autumn
Views: 988 Posts: 3

2004-09-23 9:53 PM Laerka
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?

date : August 7, 2009
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?
date : May 25, 2009
comments : 0
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : June 11, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 3
A brief history on aero bar evolution with a review on the bars that I own and love.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
You can spend a small fortune on these pre-wrapped bundles of energy, thinking they offer magic ingredients-not true. “Energy” simply means “provides calories” and not “will make you feel energetic."

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.