General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why I'm Considering Selling Tri Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2013-07-09 6:58 PM

Subject: Why I'm Considering Selling Tri Bike
I have 2x bikes. A road bike and a tri bike.

I've had the road bike for 4 years since I started triathlon. I've had the tri bike for just under 1 year.

Since I started in triathlon doing races I had always dreamt of getting a tri bike, they looked so cool, I knew all about the benefits of the fit, speed, etc. I've moved more into longer events over the past year so it suited me well. I use the road bike for all outdoor training, so all training in summer and then weekend training over winter. I use my tri bike for indoor trainer workouts during the week and only outside for races.

However, at heart I'm a minimalist type person and hate having clutter and "stuff."

At most I cycle 3-4 times per week so only use each bike 1-2 times per week.

I bought the tri bike with all the intentions, saved up for almost a year with my part time college/university jobs to buy it brand new but it now just sits there in our garage and gets used for just windtrainers and about 2-3 races per year.

It hardly seems worth keeping it.

I really looked forward to buying it but now I own it, I've almost become depressed owning it and knowing I've spend $3000 on it.

I genuinely think I will be happy if I sold it.

Thoughts?

2013-07-09 7:01 PM
in reply to: Flying Kiwi

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Why I'm Considering Selling Tri Bike
Any reason why you don't ride it more, or off the wind trainer?
2013-07-09 7:26 PM

User image

If you've alread invested $3k into the bike, I would suggest holding onto it for the rest of the season and see if you are happy racing on your road bike.  If so, then you can decide if you want to sell it or not.  I bought my tri bike used, and frankly I hate to ride it compared to my road bike.  But I'll never sell it knowing how much I want it on race day.  A tri bike is designed for a specific purpose.  It's not uncommon for people to own tri bikes and ride them very rarely.
2013-07-09 7:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
He's a miserable douche! Don't let an idiot into your head, do YOUR thing, whatever that thing is and enjoy the hell out of it. Someone does that to me, I latch on their wheel and quietly sit there and let them pull me for MILES!
2013-07-09 7:33 PM
in reply to: Coach Gil

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
Oops, wrong thread lol!
2013-07-09 7:42 PM
in reply to: 0

There are a few other issues to consider in this question: Are you faster on the tri bike? If you don't know, then you need to rotate the bicycles on the indoor trainer for several months, comparing performances over a set distance/time. Are you more comfortable on the tri bike? Some of us are are prefer the resting on the elbows to the "push-up" position found on the road bike. It is possible to improve on the comfort and performance items for the tri-bike with slight adjustments-time- and "work". Some of us sold off the road bike and use the tri bike for all road riding without any issue.

Edited by Billyk 2013-07-09 7:44 PM

2013-07-09 8:05 PM
in reply to: the bear

Originally posted by the bear

Any reason why you don't ride it more, or off the wind trainer?

I have to fit in 3x swims, 3x runs and 2x gyms as well as these bike rides and a full time job. I don't have time to ride any more than this.

I don't ride it off the windtrainer as I live in the city and the road bike is more versatile around the streets.
2013-07-09 8:15 PM
in reply to: Billyk

Originally posted by Billyk

Are you faster on the tri bike?

Are you more comfortable on the tri bike?

Yes.

I'm more comfortable on the tri bike for indoor cycling and on the flats/in the country. I'm more comfortable on the road bike for hilly routes and round the city streets.

I've also considered putting road bars onto my tri bike. Something like this picture

(chris_rag_1000km.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
chris_rag_1000km.JPG (127KB - 22 downloads)
2013-07-09 8:41 PM

Master
, California

So many things wrong in that picture.  It's not a position I'd want, especially for longer distance events.

As far as your tri bike goes... don't forget you'll probably get back a lot less than $3k if you sell it.

You get a decent amount of use out of your tri bike.  I split time between my two bikes and I enjoy both of them.  I put even less time on my race wheels, but I don't regret the purchase.

2013-07-09 9:02 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Originally posted by Flying Kiwi

Originally posted by Billyk

Are you faster on the tri bike?

Are you more comfortable on the tri bike?

Yes.

I'm more comfortable on the tri bike for indoor cycling and on the flats/in the country. I'm more comfortable on the road bike for hilly routes and round the city streets.

I've also considered putting road bars onto my tri bike. Something like this picture

You've got that backwards....if anything, put aerobars on your road bike. That is what is in the picture and would be a much more versatile setup.
2013-07-09 10:32 PM
in reply to: #4799853

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
There's only one solution here, go to the doc and seek out some meds. Two bikes and you need to downsize? You crazy bro!

2013-07-09 10:45 PM

User image

Pro
That picture is scary looking.
2013-07-10 4:04 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Originally posted by spudone

As far as your tri bike goes... don't forget you'll probably get back a lot less than $3k if you sell it.

2x. Don't think about how much you spent on the bike, if you sell it you'll have to accept a loss, and unless it comes with some warranties or you offer to pay a revision by the LBS before selling it then even 1.5K may be stretching it.

Think about how much you'll get if you sell it and think about much would you pay for a tribike (given how much you'll use it)? This is a tricky one to answer honestly. But you might just end up concluding that you appreciate it more than the money you could get.

2013-07-10 5:31 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
You haven't really seen the advantage of the tri bike yet... You'll only get faster on a tri bike if you actually train on a tri bike. Set up one ride per week on it and you'll soon start to see the speed come up. That should be enough to make you want to keep it.
2013-07-10 7:11 AM
in reply to: audiojan

Also, if you're worried about the money you spent on it, realize that half of it is gone if you try to sell it. Just keep the bike.
2013-07-10 8:20 AM
in reply to: VGT

User image

Regular
I was in our team's shop the other day and casually mentioned to one of the coaches that I have two bikes: a cheap beater I leave on the trainer and my race bike, which I ride outside on, because it's easier than constantly swapping out rear wheels. His eyes went a bit wide, and he went "oh nonono, you should be training on what you plan to race on. Your muscles learn a position and when you throw them something else, it takes time to adapt. Not something you want to do on race day."

So the beater sits on the wall, and I just suck it up and swap the wheels.

2013-07-10 9:17 AM
in reply to: H20man

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Originally posted by H20man

I was in our team's shop the other day and casually mentioned to one of the coaches that I have two bikes: a cheap beater I leave on the trainer and my race bike, which I ride outside on, because it's easier than constantly swapping out rear wheels. His eyes went a bit wide, and he went "oh nonono, you should be training on what you plan to race on. Your muscles learn a position and when you throw them something else, it takes time to adapt. Not something you want to do on race day."

Or you know...you could have a good position on both bikes and be fine.
2013-07-10 10:51 AM

User image

New Egypt, NJ
I try to be a minimalist also and only race duathlons. Right now I have a 2005 Allez triple w/ sora, but am shopping for a new road bike. I only do sprint distance and just got some short aerobars that worked out ok for my last race. I have been going back and forth between buying a tri bike, but I'm not a competitive age grouper (weak runner), so the bike speed difference shouldn't hurt me much..
2013-07-10 11:50 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Expert
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by H20man

Or you know...you could have a good position on both bikes and be fine.

ya, I'm not sure I'm a fan of all of your time on one bike deal. I split my time across my Cyclocross bike, Track bike, Road bike, and Tri bike. My legs and back fell better when I mix things up. If I'm building for a Tri I'll do focused workouts and aero bar time on the Tri bike, then toss in the Road or Cyclocross bike for easier days/weeks. Plus I find it more fun to ride and enjoy each bike as they all ride differently. Even during the winter trainer months I will change out the bike on the trainer every couple of weeks.

2013-07-10 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
In your case it's like buying a boat. The happiest days of boat ownership are the day you bought it and the day you sold it. I have a road bike with clip on aerobars, different stem and a FF seatpost. I wish I had two bikes because I'd rather show up to group rides with a true road bike setup and I don't have time to mess with seatposts, stems and aerobars.

But I'm much faster on the triathlon setup so that's how my bike stays for now. When I'm on group rides I still have the aerobars there I just don't drop down into the aero position.

Watch the recording of this morning's Individual Time Trial from the Tour de France, maybe you'll change your mind ....
2013-07-10 1:05 PM

Originally posted by Flying Kiwi

I have 2x bikes. A road bike and a tri bike.

I've had the road bike for 4 years since I started triathlon. I've had the tri bike for just under 1 year.

Since I started in triathlon doing races I had always dreamt of getting a tri bike, they looked so cool, I knew all about the benefits of the fit, speed, etc. I've moved more into longer events over the past year so it suited me well. I use the road bike for all outdoor training, so all training in summer and then weekend training over winter. I use my tri bike for indoor trainer workouts during the week and only outside for races.

However, at heart I'm a minimalist type person and hate having clutter and "stuff."

At most I cycle 3-4 times per week so only use each bike 1-2 times per week.

I bought the tri bike with all the intentions, saved up for almost a year with my part time college/university jobs to buy it brand new but it now just sits there in our garage and gets used for just windtrainers and about 2-3 races per year.

It hardly seems worth keeping it.

I really looked forward to buying it but now I own it, I've almost become depressed owning it and knowing I've spend $3000 on it.

I genuinely think I will be happy if I sold it.

Thoughts?

In reading your post, its not about being better on the bike, its about being a happier person. If your 2 bike "clutter" brings on bad feelings, dump the bike. You're in a different place than others and that's absolutely fine. A monetary loss perhaps, but a life lesson learned.

2013-07-10 2:57 PM

User image

Phoenix AZ
If it's causing you that much mental anguish, then sell it and move on.

OR

You might consider signing up for time trials or stage races/omniums that include time trials. That would force you to get back onto the tri bike more often, and it might not seem like that much of a "waste". Of course, you'd always have it to ride for triathlons.
2013-07-10 4:32 PM

User image

Pro

I could tell the same story.  but now that i have two bikes, I never ride my roadie any more.

Anyone want to buy a nice Orbea Onix with dura ace on it?  size 52.  Seems like overkill to have a bike that just sits on a trainer.  I've worn out a really nice Continental GP4000S rear tire on it.  

2013-07-11 1:59 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
Why don;t you race more?
Race 10 - 15 Tri's a year and you will love that you have 2 bikes ;-)
2013-07-11 2:09 PM
in reply to: timf79

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I ended up selling my tribike after two seasons. I am glad I didn't spend as much as you up front, and I got about half back.  I really thought I needed/wanted a tribike, but I never loved it, and finally realized I was happy to be the girl who does tris on a roadie.  I wanted the money to put into a nicer road bike, coincidentally, and have a few other bikes still.  So my reasons were different but I can relate.  It's just not for everyone.  I think the boat analogy is good!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why I'm Considering Selling Tri Bike Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

Disscusion: Why or Why not a Tri/Road bike Pages: 1 2

Started by LPJmom
Views: 4211 Posts: 36

2012-11-16 4:37 PM metafizx

That's why I'm a cyclist and you're a bike rider Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by saas74
Views: 6999 Posts: 82

2011-07-29 9:40 PM aquagirl

Why a tri bike over a road bike?

Started by dewcubs
Views: 1150 Posts: 10

2009-09-04 9:43 AM aquagirl

Opinions on Bike I'm Considering

Started by TXGreyhoundGuy
Views: 1312 Posts: 10

2008-11-22 11:42 PM audiojan

Selling my bike - I'm sad

Started by 3spd
Views: 705 Posts: 1

2005-05-27 4:22 AM 3spd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.

date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.
date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.