General Discussion Race Reports! » Inter-Rockin Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Inter-Rockin Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Interlochen, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 17m 37s
Overall Rank = 14/117
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/12?
Pre-race routine:

Usual. I was reallly careful to make sure PT was synced and Garmin was working and everything was in order. Thought about going sockless for the whole race but at the last second I decided to go with socks.
Event warmup:

Ran about a half mile. Swam about 400 yards with a couple pickups to perceived race pace
Swim
  • 27m 48s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out good. I was in a pack and felt fast, like I was getting a good draft and moving along. As we rounded the first turn I went a little wide and found myself swimming all alone and feeling significantly slower than I had been. I saw the group I had been swimming with about 10 yards ahead of me an off to the right. I kept trying to put in an acceleration to catch up but was never able to. From that point on I was swimming by myself.

Water was totally still. Sighting was good. I am glad I wore my wetsuit but this is the first time I have ever felt too warm in my wetsuit. By the 1/2 way point I was reaching up to the neck line to let in some water to cool off. It wasn't a problem but it was noticable.

Fastest women (5 minutes behind us at the start) caught me with about 150 yards to go. It is neat to watch good swimmers go by but also frustrating because I just can't do what they can.
What would you do differently?:

Sta with my draft pack. That group finished about 90 seconds in front of me at the end.
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

I am surprised this wasn't longer. I struggled a little bit getting the suit off and putting on socks. It felt like it was taking forever. I decided to put on shoes in T1 instead of doing it on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Nada
Bike
  • 1h 05m 30s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.91 mile/hr
Comments:

As soon as I got on the bike my legs felt "dead." I could definitely feel yesterday's long(ish) ride in my quads. There was also a bit of a headwind and I am a whiny baby, so there.

I started pretty well and just held what I felt I could hold. It was not nearly as much as I wanted to see on the power meter but I didn't feel like I could push a lot harder (this is a common theme in many of my races.....) I was passing people but not a lot. I had one guy, who I know, blow by me about the 5K mark. I kind of thought I was in better shape than him so it was a little disheartening.

About the 10k mark a guy pased me but then sort of promptly slowed down right in front of me. I fell back 4 bike lengths but to stay behind him I was hardly pedaling. So I picked up the pace and passed him back. Instead of falling back he latched on to my back wheel and proceeded to draft off of me for the next 25K or so. He was right on my ass. Every once in awhile he would pass me but he wasn't a strong enough rider to maintain the pace if he was in front so he would slow right down, I would drop back out of the draft zone and then within 30-45 seconds I would pass him again and we would repeat the process. If he would have followed the rules and fallen back four bike lengths I think I would have never seen him again but with him latching on to my wheel I was stuck with him. He was blatantly cheating but at one point when he came by me he said, "I'm really not trying to draft off of you." Me, "well then don't!" I hope people realized that I was following the rules and not participating in this guys shenanigans. Finally at about the 35K mark there were a few sweeping turns that I went through very fast, he fell back and was never able to catch back up to me. I am sure he found someone else to 'use.' Anyways....

Not my best ride but I made it through.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

I've got this part of the race down :)
Run
  • 41m 30s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt like absolute garbage coming off of the bike. My legs had no 'pop' and I was just not in to this psychologically. This was one of those, "why do I do this?" starts to the run. I also knew that there was a monster hill on the course that eveyone had been talking about before the race. I just kind of slogged through the first two miles at about 7:00 pace. When I turned the corner and saw 'the hill' I was a little underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong. It is pretty huge but I have been running up some pretty steep stuff lately so not so big of a deal. Half way up the hill I caught my buddy ho had passed me on the bike and we ran to the top together, about 7:25 pace to get up the hill.

After the turn around while running down hill something clicked and I suddenly started to get in to the race. For the first time in the whole run I started to look ahead and try to pick off runners. I still wasn't blazing fast but I got in to the 6:20s-30s and finished off the last 5K pretty strong.

This run was hot and humid and I was glad to have it behind me.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Pizza. A coke. Needed to get home to family so I left as soon as they would let me get my stuff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Workout the day before.

Something is 'off' a little bit with my body and fitness right now. I just don't feel right. I am hoping that I can train through this and come out stronger on the other side.

Event comments:

I crossed the line and the clock said 2:17:20 but the results have me at 2:17:37/ No big deal but I can't figure out where the extra 17 seconds came from.

Last updated: 2013-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:48 | 1640 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12?
Overall: 17/117
Performance:
Suit: Aquaman wetsuit
Course: big trianglish thing
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:05:30 | 24.85 miles | 22.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/12?
Overall: 16/117
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back with rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:30 | 06.21 miles | 06m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/12?
Overall: 14/117
Course: Out and back, rolling, with a giant 3/4 mile hill from the 2.25 mile mark to the turn around at 3.1.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-07-10 8:38 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: Inter-Rockin Triathlon - Olympic Course

2013-07-10 9:16 AM
in reply to: #4800205

User image

Subject: RE: Inter-Rockin Triathlon - Olympic Course
Loved this report. I am doing my first international distance this Saturday. And I can really relate on the "why do I do this?" attitude. I am finding myself hitting that a lot this training cycle and it is disconcerting. Good on you for powering through!!!!
2013-07-10 6:06 PM
in reply to: pugpenny

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Nice race Jason.

+1 for the "why am I doing this?" feeling LOL

then you cross the finish line and you remember.
2013-07-16 7:31 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama
Great race Jason. Another strong result. Good job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Inter-Rockin Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Inter-Rockin Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Jeff269
Views: 740 Posts: 1

2012-09-06 1:47 PM Jeff269

Inter-Rockin Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by jogo
Views: 1480 Posts: 10

2012-07-11 1:00 PM jmkizer

Inter-Rockin Music Fest Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by lodac
Views: 1496 Posts: 1

2009-07-13 8:54 PM lodac

Started by emd9702
Views: 1387 Posts: 1

2009-07-13 8:08 PM emd9702

Started by Brickey
Views: 1279 Posts: 2

2009-07-13 10:49 AM jazz82482
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.