General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is up with this in awe of distance thing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-07-10 1:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: What is up with this in awe of distance thing
What does everyone seem to think that the longer the race is, the better it is. I've done them all, and I can honestly say that I generally enjoy my sprints and olympics much more than my halfs and my full. Now yes it was a great feeling of accomplishment to finish the full, but at the end of the day, I think I prefer the shorter races.

And it isn't even a training thing. I am probably training more, and harder, for my 'A' race this year (a sprint) than I did for the full IM last year.

I'm just reading these threads that say things like, just sticking to sprints, is that ok? or I'm going to do an Ironman for my first race because the easier ones are a waste of time. To me it seems people are missing the point.

sorry, rant over

2013-07-10 1:37 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: What is up with this in awe of distance thing

I'm with 'ya 100%... I think that a sprint or oly is almost tougher than a half or a full... if you're racing.  I freaking kill myself in shorter stuff and usually am hurtin' the next day.  Sure the long stuff is tough too, but it's just not the same.

2013-07-10 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by dmiller5 What does everyone seem to think that the longer the race is, the better it is. I've done them all, and I can honestly say that I generally enjoy my sprints and olympics much more than my halfs and my full. Now yes it was a great feeling of accomplishment to finish the full, but at the end of the day, I think I prefer the shorter races. And it isn't even a training thing. I am probably training more, and harder, for my 'A' race this year (a sprint) than I did for the full IM last year. I'm just reading these threads that say things like, just sticking to sprints, is that ok? or I'm going to do an Ironman for my first race because the easier ones are a waste of time. To me it seems people are missing the point. sorry, rant over

I'll give you harder, but more?  Really?  A higher volume of training for a sprint than for an IM?  I'm no coach but that seems odd to me.

2013-07-10 1:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Originally posted by noelle1230

Originally posted by dmiller5 What does everyone seem to think that the longer the race is, the better it is. I've done them all, and I can honestly say that I generally enjoy my sprints and olympics much more than my halfs and my full. Now yes it was a great feeling of accomplishment to finish the full, but at the end of the day, I think I prefer the shorter races. And it isn't even a training thing. I am probably training more, and harder, for my 'A' race this year (a sprint) than I did for the full IM last year. I'm just reading these threads that say things like, just sticking to sprints, is that ok? or I'm going to do an Ironman for my first race because the easier ones are a waste of time. To me it seems people are missing the point. sorry, rant over

I'll give you harder, but more?  Really?  A higher volume of training for a sprint than for an IM?  I'm no coach but that seems odd to me.

Well, do you think that Alistair Brownlee trains less than Crowie? As a general thing (not necessarily saying long rides/runs)

ETA: I'm training to win sprints, not just finish them. sure you don't need as much training to finish a sprint as you would to finish an ironman.

Edited by dmiller5 2013-07-10 1:43 PM
2013-07-10 1:58 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Seems nobody in my neck of the woods things longer is better. The last super sprint I entered was $65! Sounds Premium to me.
2013-07-10 2:01 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by dmiller5

Well, do you think that Alistair Brownlee trains less than Crowie? As a general thing (not necessarily saying long rides/runs) ETA: I'm training to win sprints, not just finish them. sure you don't need as much training to finish a sprint as you would to finish an ironman.

I really don't know.  I just don't imagine a sprint triathlete going out on a Saturday for a 100 mile ride followed by a 10 mile run which wouldn't be at all uncommon for someone training for IM.  But like I said, I'm no coach so maybe they do.

Personally my body feels a lot more abused when my sessions are routinely 2-3 plus hours at a moderate or even easy pace (and that was just for a HIM) than it does when routine sessions are under 2 hours, often just one hour with some of that being 100% all out effort speed work.

Edited by noelle1230 2013-07-10 2:01 PM

2013-07-10 2:07 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by dmiller5 What does everyone seem to think that the longer the race is, the better it is.

Where is "everyone" saying that?

2013-07-10 2:12 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by dmiller5 What does everyone seem to think that the longer the race is, the better it is.

You beat me to it-- I don't know where "everyone" came from. LOTS of love here on BT for the shorter courses. The recent poll was dominated by sprint distance events.

2013-07-10 2:16 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Expert
, Michigan
I don't like high intensity stuff, so Ive been sticking to longer races. I enjoy the training at lower intensity. To be challenging requires me to go long.
2013-07-10 2:17 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Personally my body feels a lot more abused when my sessions are routinely 2-3 plus hours at a moderate or even easy pace (and that was just for a HIM) than it does when routine sessions are under 2 hours, often just one hour with some of that being 100% all out effort speed work.

You're not doing something right, then.
2013-07-10 2:21 PM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by zed707

You beat me to it-- I don't know where "everyone" came from. LOTS of love here on BT for the shorter courses. The recent poll was dominated by sprint distance events.

In the "stop at sprints" thread cited by the OP, TWO of the 20 responses suggested trying out more than Sprints. The remainder of the responses indicated that it was purely a personal decision, do what makes you happy, sprints are awesome, etc.

This thread topic comes up periodically and I never understand it. My personal thought is that some folks are internalizing and personalizing some comments irrationally. Just because I like the IM distance and do multiple IMs - that doesn't mean I think everyone should, or think less of people who chose not to. 

2013-07-10 2:29 PM
in reply to: zed707

User image

I totally get where you're coming from, but you can't deny that longer races get more coverage, more attention, and more praise than shorter ones.  The NYC marathon gets race coverage on national TV.  The Boston marathon winners get mentioned on Sportscenter.  Kona gets coverage on national TV as well.  When someone attempts to swim across a channel, or an ocean, or whatever...it gets attention.  When some guy jumps out of a hot air balloon from near the edges of space, it's on TV.

It's not to say that longer races or events actually are better, or that shorter races don't require as much training.  It's just human nature for people who don't truely understand the sport that longer or farther is more worthy of praise...or more impressive.

2013-07-10 2:34 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

Personally, there are lots of things to be in awe of in life......people who run triathlons is not one of them.

I think it's pretty cool to take care of yourself physically, no matter what you choose to do....but it ends right there for me.

Go run around the world or around your block.....just do something!

2013-07-10 2:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Originally posted by Jason N

I totally get where you're coming from, but you can't deny that longer races get more coverage, more attention, and more praise than shorter ones.  The NYC marathon gets race coverage on national TV.  The Boston marathon winners get mentioned on Sportscenter.  Kona gets coverage on national TV as well.  When someone attempts to swim across a channel, or an ocean, or whatever...it gets attention.  When some guy jumps out of a hot air balloon from near the edges of space, it's on TV.

It's not to say that longer races or events actually are better, or that shorter races don't require as much training.  It's just human nature for people who don't truely understand the sport that longer or farther is more worthy of praise...or more impressive.

Precisely.

I find it difficult to find the Cycling Monuments on Television, but the TDF, shown 3 times a day. 1 mile or 5000m work championships? Wouldn't know where to find coverage. Boston Marathon is plastered on the major networks for weeks beforehand.

And even in the forums, constantly I read "I am planning on doing a sprint and then moving to olympics, with a goal of a HIM next year *fingers crossed*." Like the other races are stepping stones. Which I guess is fine; I just don't quite get it.
2013-07-10 2:39 PM

User image

My .02 which is actually worth .00.  I don't get the IM distance is everything feel either.  And I don't believe one distance or another is better or worse.  But you (the royal you) cannot ignore the differences in training and commitment that are required to complete an IM vs. a sprint.

Personally, and it's just my opinion, but I think that for an experienced triathlete completing an IM is a bigger accomplishment than completing a sprint.  Most every day in the last several years I've been doing tris, I could get out of bed, on my worst day, and complete a sprint.  Maybe even race for a place nearish the front.  Not true for IM.

Now, racing and competing for a podium in a sprint is much more difficult and painful than completing.  But you can't compare racing a sprint and completing an IM.  Nor can you campare racing either distance.   Lots of folks can race and place a sprint.  Much fewer can race and place in an IM

And in a way, it's really like two different sports to me.  Can't compare a 1500 meter guy with a marathoner.  totally different systems at work. 

YMMV

Edited by ChrisM 2013-07-10 2:40 PM
2013-07-10 2:42 PM

User image

Originally posted by dmiller5 And even in the forums, constantly I read "I am planning on doing a sprint and then moving to olympics, with a goal of a HIM next year *fingers crossed*." Like the other races are stepping stones. Which I guess is fine; I just don't quite get it.

Meh...it's just people finding a way to test themselves.  Not everyone is interested in getting to the podium.  For a MOPer, they may not find as much joy trying to improve from 45th/70 AG to 32nd/70 and decide to just tackle a new distance while racing against themselves.  Crossing the finish line at a new distance may provide a whole new level of satisfaction similar to a FOP athlete winning a shorter race.

Different strokes for different folks.

ETA: Also, not everyone is interested in being in the sport long term.  Many just want to build up to a certain level, and they may never race again.  Nothing wrong with that.  Nobody said when you sign up for your first triathlon that your signing up to be a triathlete for life or minimum X years.

Edited by Jason N 2013-07-10 2:46 PM

2013-07-10 2:50 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by JohnnyKay
Originally posted by noelle1230 Personally my body feels a lot more abused when my sessions are routinely 2-3 plus hours at a moderate or even easy pace (and that was just for a HIM) than it does when routine sessions are under 2 hours, often just one hour with some of that being 100% all out effort speed work.

You're going to tell me that a 5K at 100% effort is going to be tougher on a body than an IM at a moderate pace?  I'm not buying that.

I can run a mile so hard that I make myself puke.  That's still never going to compare to how I feel after running 26.  The best coach on the planet isn't going to change that.

2013-07-10 2:53 PM

User image

Master

What does everyone seem to think that the longer the race is, the better it is. I've done them all, and I can honestly say that I generally enjoy my sprints and olympics much more than my halfs and my full.
sorry, rant over

I'm not sure that "everyone" does.

To each their own.

I prefer long course races, largely because I feel like the short races are over before they get really fun. But I certainly don't think mine is the only perspective, or even the "right" one.
2013-07-10 3:09 PM

User image

Regular
NW
I've always believed (and I'm not a FOP'er so this is speculation) that to place in the top of any distance race takes the same amount of determination, commitment, abilities, etc.

Personally I'm more of a complete than compete guy. I've done three IM's and absolutely love them. When I say I don't compete, that isn't completely true because each time I tried to break the 12-hr mark and all three times I've finished 12:35 +/- :05. Last year I thought I would do my last IM and stick to HIM, Olympic, and Sprints but honestly I just can't get excited about it. There is something about the IM distance that gets me out of bed in the morning to put in the training year round for fear that I won't complete the distance. There might be a correlation between me being an engineer and engineers being highly represented in IM distances.

Are any of them better than the other? Absolutely not. Do I enjoy the vanity of being "an Ironman"? I did until a year or so ago when someone had the post of the century on here about not calling yourself an Ironman, but rather calling yourself grateful that you have the support, health, time, etc. I tried to find that post because it really changed my outlook for the better.

So whatever the distance/race that you enjoy, go for it and keep on keepin on. We all do this wonderful sport for different reasons. Don't fall into the trap of doing it for what others may be thinking.
2013-07-10 3:11 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Not intending to speak for the OP, but I think that largely "everyone" is nearly all of those outside of the tri community and even many of those in the tri community.  Hell, I did a sprint this past weekend and even my wife (who is not a triathlete, but has run 15 marathons) said "oh so its just a short one" like it was no big deal.  I had to tell her sure it was a "short" one but that I'd basically be going balls to the wall for an hour and a half so it was most certainly not no big deal.
2013-07-10 3:35 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by noelle1230 Personally my body feels a lot more abused when my sessions are routinely 2-3 plus hours at a moderate or even easy pace (and that was just for a HIM) than it does when routine sessions are under 2 hours, often just one hour with some of that being 100% all out effort speed work.

You're going to tell me that a 5K at 100% effort is going to be tougher on a body than an IM at a moderate pace?  I'm not buying that.

I can run a mile so hard that I make myself puke.  That's still never going to compare to how I feel after running 26.  The best coach on the planet isn't going to change that.

The races do feel significantly different, but *generally* to become as fast as possible at any of them you put in what time you have available. Crowie and Alistair do put in similar volumes, but they divide it up differently because the demands for their races is different. Alistair races at a higher intensity, so may do more work there and may not go as long at one time as Crowie does because he doesn't need that adaptation.

2013-07-10 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
And even in the forums, constantly I read "I am planning on doing a sprint and then moving to olympics, with a goal of a HIM next year *fingers crossed*." Like the other races are stepping stones. Which I guess is fine; I just don't quite get it.

What is there to get?
Going long is a lot of peoples goals. A lot of people will work up to an Ironman, complete it, and then never do another triathlon again. (nothing wrong with that)

I don't get the whole "Going short is better than going long" or "I work just as hard as you"

Who cares?
Do what makes you happy.
2013-07-10 3:40 PM

User image

Expert
I also think that YOU'RE missing the point

Your way isn't the right way for everyone..
2013-07-10 3:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

It isn't about race day. I'm saying that the cumulative effect of my training on a day to day basis has been wearing on my body more than ironman training, because of the intensity, and because I've been pushing my volume. My training for Ironman had very little intensity, but similar volume so I have found this to be more difficult. I might be missing the longer runs and rides, but that isn't the only thing that makes training difficult.

Also I don't know why you keep mentioning coaches somehow in relation to how hard things are.
2013-07-10 3:43 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
I don't think anyone is trying to marginalize the training and effort that can go into really racing a short course race. I think if you said "I trained 15 hours this week" people would be impressed, no matter what distance you were training for. I kind of think you're being sensitive because YOU prefer short course and don't feel like you get the admiration for the hard work you're doing to prepare for said races. The bottom line is that "people" are more in awe of long course because many people could train a little and complete a sprint, whereas a more limited number of people can train a whole lot, and are not guaranteed to complete a long course race. That's it. To each their own.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is up with this in awe of distance thing Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

upping the distance.

Started by jennifer65
Views: 901 Posts: 5

2011-08-27 5:25 AM jennifer65

Am i doing the right thing?

Started by cj1212
Views: 934 Posts: 3

2009-07-26 9:00 PM breckview

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3071 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

Am I ready for Oly distance?

Started by jessicadawn
Views: 1311 Posts: 18

2007-07-03 4:34 PM jackjack

10k, 1/2 Marathon warm ups?

Started by autumn
Views: 1196 Posts: 4

2004-09-30 9:40 PM slow&steady
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.

date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
comments : 0
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.

date : March 5, 2006
author : TH3_FRB
The goal is to get stronger while your swim, bike and run training schedule is relatively light and you can afford to hit the weights hard a couple times each week.
date : September 11, 2004
author : econway
The goal of this section is to give others ideas on workouts for specific purposes.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.