General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is up with this in awe of distance thing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-07-10 7:27 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Subject: RE: What is up with this in awe of distance thing
People tend to be in awe of things that they can't do, things that take a lot of talent, things that take a lot of work, and things that take a lot of time. When I started doing half marathons, I felt that those who did marathons were a little more AWEsome. It's more work and it takes more time. I have worked in and traveled in a number of developing countries. I found it interesting that people who were overweight were considered attractive. Here, where being overweight is easy, people who are slim are generally considered attractive. (not saying I agree with this, just making an observation) I seems that it's like this is because it's harder.
Having said that, you can be in awe of whoever or whatever you want but my opinion is that the important thing is that you be in awe of yourself. I'm going to cross the finish line on Sunday, pat myself on the back, wear a grin so big that I'll hardly fit through the finish line standards and think to myself, "you're awesome."

2013-07-10 9:38 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by DanielG

Wow, people have to be competitive even about being competitive?

How about just finding your happy place and working it.

Agree just complete the distances you enjoy and be done with it. As far as the televised portion of the argument: I think the longer distances (IM,marathon,ect) are televised over shorter course races because people can't relate to the distance. People see a 5k and think "I can do that" paying no attention to just how difficult it is to do it at 13:xx. The average SportsCenter viewer see's 26.2 miles and doesn't differentiate a 2:15 from a 3 hour just says "holy crap that's a long way". Just my unwanted .02
2013-07-10 10:02 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Originally posted by rjrankin83
Originally posted by DanielG Wow, people have to be competitive even about being competitive? How about just finding your happy place and working it.
Agree just complete the distances you enjoy and be done with it. As far as the televised portion of the argument: I think the longer distances (IM,marathon,ect) are televised over shorter course races because people can't relate to the distance. People see a 5k and think "I can do that" paying no attention to just how difficult it is to do it at 13:xx. The average SportsCenter viewer see's 26.2 miles and doesn't differentiate a 2:15 from a 3 hour just says "holy crap that's a long way". Just my unwanted .02

Next time you talk to someone who doesn't know about triathlons, tell them you did a 1:55 Oly and a 8 hour HIM.  I bet they won't know the difference.

Likewise, we recently got a new coworker that paddles 6 man/woman canoe.  We were talking at lunch and our first question to her was if she did the famous 42 mile race from Molokai to Oahu.  She did, and we were all impressed.  We didn't bother asking her how long it took her team or what place they finished in.  I mean...why would we care? 

2013-07-10 10:31 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by rjrankin83
Originally posted by DanielG Wow, people have to be competitive even about being competitive? How about just finding your happy place and working it.

Next time you talk to someone who doesn't know about triathlons, tell them you did a 1:55 Oly and a 8 hour HIM.  I bet they won't know the difference.

Likewise, we recently got a new coworker that paddles 6 man/woman canoe.  We were talking at lunch and our first question to her was if she did the famous 42 mile race from Molokai to Oahu.  She did, and we were all impressed.  We didn't bother asking her how long it took her team or what place they finished in.  I mean...why would we care? 

That's exactly my point. No one I work with does triathlons. When asked I say I hope to finish in around 12 hours but it being my first my ultimate goal is just to finish. They could care less about time. If you don't do it apparently the mileage alone is a lot to wrap your head around. I could tell them 9 hour or 17 hour finish and it would mean the same thing, "you swim 2.4 miles, then ride 112, AND THEN run 26.2?"
2013-07-10 10:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by Left Brain

Personally, there are lots of things to be in awe of in life......people who run triathlons is not one of them.

I think it's pretty cool to take care of yourself physically, no matter what you choose to do....but it ends right there for me.

Go run around the world or around your block.....just do something!

. The irony here is that you are in awe of your own children's triathlon accomplishments. I'm not saying you shouldn't be, as I'm in awe of my 10yo daughters swim times.... Just pointing out that from reading your posts about your kids tri achievements, you are in fact in awe of them....so yeah it's possible to be in awe of triathletes :-)

Actually, I'm in awe of the work they put in, how disciplined they've become at such a young age, and how naturally gifted they are, especially as runners.....it's cool that it happens to be triathlon because I enjoy working out with them, but that's not what makes me proud of them.  But yeah, I see the point you're trying to make.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-07-10 10:59 PM
2013-07-10 11:23 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Racing IM Whistler this year... and ITU Sprint Worlds next year... Training volume won't be much different but way higher intensity.

2013-07-10 11:25 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Great White North
7 weeks here. Damn.
2013-07-10 11:28 PM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Veteran
Great White North

Swimming 3800m - easy... swimming 200m fly under 2:10 not so easy.

Originally posted by erik.norgaard

Originally posted by dmiller5

What does everyone seem to think that the longer the race is, the better it is.

Many reasons:

Whether you agree with the message you can't deny that Ironman(TM) has done a great job selling the Ironman, and in particular Ironman Hawaii, as the ultimate physical test, building a legend with the Ironwar and what have you. And, they've had years lead, triathlon debuted at the olympics in 2000.

It's only a sprint? Well, only, because you have to do less. You only have to swim 750m, not 3800m, etc. And we fall for it too, when people say I'm crazy, I have to assure them that it's only a sprint, as in I'm not /that/ crazy. And well, if you just left the couch, shorter distance races are stepping stones to longer distance races. You can complete these with less training and I see far more beginners in short distance races, so it's only natural to build the perception that shorter is easier.

All that said, if you're here to win, don't assume shorter distance to be easier. You should throw in as much time as you can in training, regardless of the distance, every extra minute you can train can give you the edge you need. Do Brownlee train harder than Crowie? Weird question, they train different. Do they train as much? Quite possibly in terms of hours.

If you podium in one distance, can you expect to podium in the double or half distance? No, you need to train different. Even if HIM and IM are both "long" distance races only one have been able to win both the same year. Macca won IM in 2010 and focused 2011 on qualifying for the olympics and failed.

Each distance is a different beast and if you're here to win, all are hard in their own way, and have their own merits.
2013-07-11 12:06 AM
in reply to: ras26

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
There's also speed vs. distance people. For ME, the longer the better, because I'm more of a longer/slower person. My tri club nicknamed me The Energizer Bunny I still go back and work on shorter stuff to gain speed. By the end of this year I will have 1 IM, 3 HIM, 1 Oly and 1 Sprint. I want to do at least one of each per year.
2013-07-11 3:05 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Originally posted by simpsonbo

Swimming 3800m - easy... swimming 200m fly under 2:10 not so easy.

Is that a reasonable comparison? You set no time goal for the 3800m OWS. Swimming 3800m under 48min not so easy.

Anyway the point was that if you're here to complete, shorter distances are easier, 200m fly is easier than 3800m freestyle. If you're here to win, any distance has it's merits and deserves respect, and you can't really compare how "hard" each distance is.
2013-07-11 5:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by dmiller5
Originally posted by noelle1230

Originally posted by JohnnyKay
Originally posted by noelle1230 Personally my body feels a lot more abused when my sessions are routinely 2-3 plus hours at a moderate or even easy pace (and that was just for a HIM) than it does when routine sessions are under 2 hours, often just one hour with some of that being 100% all out effort speed work.
You're not doing something right, then.

You're going to tell me that a 5K at 100% effort is going to be tougher on a body than an IM at a moderate pace?  I'm not buying that.

I can run a mile so hard that I make myself puke.  That's still never going to compare to how I feel after running 26.  The best coach on the planet isn't going to change that.

It isn't about race day. I'm saying that the cumulative effect of my training on a day to day basis has been wearing on my body more than ironman training, because of the intensity, and because I've been pushing my volume. My training for Ironman had very little intensity, but similar volume so I have found this to be more difficult. I might be missing the longer runs and rides, but that isn't the only thing that makes training difficult. Also I don't know why you keep mentioning coaches somehow in relation to how hard things are.

I understand what you're saying.  The point I'm trying to make is that I'm an average age grouper and to be the fastest little age grouper I can be, there's no way I'm ever putting in as much time per week in s/b/r as I would to be the best age grouper I can be for IM.  I would venture to say that anyone on this board who is just the average joe triathlete is going to put in a much smaller weekly training volume for a 60-90 minute race as they are for a 10-15+ hour race.

The reason I brought up coaching is because Johnny implied that if I find long endurance work tougher on my body than short speed work that I must be doing something wrong.  Well, not even implied.

Let me put it this way.  If I'm training for a sprint tri and my Saturday workout is a 5K at 100% effort, like maybe a race, I'll go all out as hard as I can go; and if I compare that to a 15+ mile run which is let's say 25% slower, at an effort that feels easy, and assuming I built up to that distance slowly over weeks, the 15 miles will still leave my body hurting more.  And will leave it hurting for longer.  And will make me feel more physically tired.

Longer endurance is tougher on my body than shorter speed.  I just don't know why Johnny has to imply (as usual) that it must be because I'm training wrong.  Different bodies are suited for different things.  Don't know why that's so hard to believe. 

And to your original point, people in general--athletes and non athletes alike, not just people on this board--are just going to be more in awe of a 10-15 hour race than one that's little over an hour because most people can imagine themselves racing for an hour; most people cannot imagine themselves racing for 15 hours.

Edited by noelle1230 2013-07-11 5:12 AM

2013-07-11 7:25 AM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by simpsonbo Swimming 3800m - easy... swimming 200m fly under 2:10 not so easy.
Is that a reasonable comparison? You set no time goal for the 3800m OWS. Swimming 3800m under 48min not so easy. Anyway the point was that if you're here to complete, shorter distances are easier, 200m fly is easier than 3800m freestyle. If you're here to win, any distance has it's merits and deserves respect, and you can't really compare how "hard" each distance is.

The omission of a time on the 3,800m was the point. That's how many make the comparison between the various distances. It's harder to just complete the farther of any distances chosen when completion is the only thing for both. And generally it's harder to put up a really fast time in a shorter event than to just complete a longer one, even a much longer one. The work put in is glossed over (perhaps unintentionally) and only the event itself is looked at.

2013-07-11 7:56 AM
in reply to: blbriley

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by blbriley
Originally posted by zed707
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by dmiller5 What does everyone seem to think that the longer the race is, the better it is.

Where is "everyone" saying that?

You beat me to it-- I don't know where "everyone" came from. LOTS of love here on BT for the shorter courses. The recent poll was dominated by sprint distance events.

I totally get where you're coming from, but you can't deny that longer races get more coverage, more attention, and more praise than shorter ones.  The NYC marathon gets race coverage on national TV.  The Boston marathon winners get mentioned on Sportscenter.  Kona gets coverage on national TV as well.  When someone attempts to swim across a channel, or an ocean, or whatever...it gets attention.  When some guy jumps out of a hot air balloon from near the edges of space, it's on TV.

It's not to say that longer races or events actually are better, or that shorter races don't require as much training.  It's just human nature for people who don't truely understand the sport that longer or farther is more worthy of praise...or more impressive.

Usain Bolt disagrees with you.

Probably, but something to note is that the event he's most noted for is in the exact opposite direction.

2013-07-11 7:57 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by simpsonbo Swimming 3800m - easy... swimming 200m fly under 2:10 not so easy.
Is that a reasonable comparison? You set no time goal for the 3800m OWS. Swimming 3800m under 48min not so easy. Anyway the point was that if you're here to complete, shorter distances are easier, 200m fly is easier than 3800m freestyle. If you're here to win, any distance has it's merits and deserves respect, and you can't really compare how "hard" each distance is.

The omission of a time on the 3,800m was the point. That's how many make the comparison between the various distances. It's harder to just complete the farther of any distances chosen when completion is the only thing for both. And generally it's harder to put up a really fast time in a shorter event than to just complete a longer one, even a much longer one. The work put in is glossed over (perhaps unintentionally) and only the event itself is looked at.

times like this I was doing my PhD in Sports Psychology, not I/O Psych (workplace) because I would love to do a study (or two or more) about triathlons - motivations, perceptions etc...It seems in my research to be an under-studied area
2013-07-11 8:25 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-07-11 8:30 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Expert
Wendell, NC

Originally posted by dmiller5 And even in the forums, constantly I read "I am planning on doing a sprint and then moving to olympics, with a goal of a HIM next year *fingers crossed*." Like the other races are stepping stones. Which I guess is fine; I just don't quite get it.

Meh...it's just people finding a way to test themselves.  Not everyone is interested in getting to the podium.  For a MOPer, they may not find as much joy trying to improve from 45th/70 AG to 32nd/70 and decide to just tackle a new distance while racing against themselves.  Crossing the finish line at a new distance may provide a whole new level of satisfaction similar to a FOP athlete winning a shorter race.

Different strokes for different folks.

ETA: Also, not everyone is interested in being in the sport long term.  Many just want to build up to a certain level, and they may never race again.  Nothing wrong with that.  Nobody said when you sign up for your first triathlon that your signing up to be a triathlete for life or minimum X years.

I agree. I'm never gonna be a podium athlete. Never have, never will. My self-challenge is to see how much this body can take. Like your underwear....It's up to ya.

2013-07-11 8:34 AM
in reply to: b2run

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-07-11 9:00 AM

Pro

Personally, there are lots of things to be in awe of in life......people who run triathlons is not one of them.

I think it's pretty cool to take care of yourself physically, no matter what you choose to do....but it ends right there for me.

Go run around the world or around your block.....just do something!

. The irony here is that you are in awe of your own children's triathlon accomplishments. I'm not saying you shouldn't be, as I'm in awe of my 10yo daughters swim times.... Just pointing out that from reading your posts about your kids tri achievements, you are in fact in awe of them....so yeah it's possible to be in awe of triathletes :-)

Actually, I'm in awe of the work they put in, how disciplined they've become at such a young age, and how naturally gifted they are, especially as runners.....it's cool that it happens to be triathlon because I enjoy working out with them, but that's not what makes me proud of them.  But yeah, I see the point you're trying to make.

. Agree with my own kids swimming. It's their work and dedication that make me proud. The swim result in the race is the culmination of the work which is also what I'm in awe of. Guess my real point is that its ok to be in awe of someone doing something, be it your kidos or be it someone else. I also get not being in awe of it all. Having done 5 IMs and 10 HIMs I'm less in awe of it all then I used to be, but it seems to me that its ok either way.

We're getting closer to something we can agree on.....but I have to say, I'm seldom in awe of anything that people do.  In fact, you could go with "almost never" and be pretty close to the mark.  I have 5 kids, only two do triathlon, and as accomplished as my son is at such a young age, and his sister is becoming, neither is the best athlete of my children. If "awe" is the right word then, like I said, I'm in awe of their spirit, determination, and the gifts they've been blessed with.....it doesn't matter what the vessel is, my best athlete is a barrel racer and basketball/volleyball player....I'm not in awe of what she can do with a horse or a ball. 

I'm not in awe of triathletes.....I couldn't care less how many times people swim/bike/run for a long time.  It's not that difficult to do a triathlon.  It's difficult to be really fast, but if there is any "awe" involved there it has to do with the fact that you need help to be REALLY fast....you need some true physical gifts.  I'm in awe of that.

2013-07-11 9:19 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by brigby1

Swimming 3800 with no time constraints is like going for a walk. I'll post my time from IM Whistler in 7 weeks and it will probably be 48-49 assuming its measured right.
2013-07-11 10:22 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I understand what you're saying.  The point I'm trying to make is that I'm an average age grouper and to be the fastest little age grouper I can be, there's no way I'm ever putting in as much time per week in s/b/r as I would to be the best age grouper I can be for IM.  I would venture to say that anyone on this board who is just the average joe triathlete is going to put in a much smaller weekly training volume for a 60-90 minute race as they are for a 10-15+ hour race.

The reason I brought up coaching is because Johnny implied that if I find long endurance work tougher on my body than short speed work that I must be doing something wrong.  Well, not even implied.

Let me put it this way.  If I'm training for a sprint tri and my Saturday workout is a 5K at 100% effort, like maybe a race, I'll go all out as hard as I can go; and if I compare that to a 15+ mile run which is let's say 25% slower, at an effort that feels easy, and assuming I built up to that distance slowly over weeks, the 15 miles will still leave my body hurting more.  And will leave it hurting for longer.  And will make me feel more physically tired.

Longer endurance is tougher on my body than shorter speed.  I just don't know why Johnny has to imply (as usual) that it must be because I'm training wrong.  Different bodies are suited for different things.  Don't know why that's so hard to believe. 

And to your original point, people in general--athletes and non athletes alike, not just people on this board--are just going to be more in awe of a 10-15 hour race than one that's little over an hour because most people can imagine themselves racing for an hour; most people cannot imagine themselves racing for 15 hours.

You seem to be taking my comments quite personally. I apologize if I've offended you as they are not meant that way. All I meant is that your experience in training for shorter races is probably not complete enough to know how your body might feel if your 'routine' workouts were held to somewhat lower levels (really just the longest duration workouts) but consistently had a higher level of intensity.

If you've decided that you WANT to train harder for a longer race and less-hard for a shorter race, then your observations make sense. Otherwise, there's no particular reason that the "average joe" is going to do a substantially different amount of work (volume + intensity, not just hours) dependent upon their race. Only the type of specific race-prep work has to change materially. The rest is choice.

All these races are endurance races, so I don't really buy the "different bodies" argument. I do, however, agree that people find different levels of enjoyment/satisfaction from different types of racing and training.

And, speak for yourself, but I am as much in 'awe' of Usain Bolt as I am of Yiannis Kouros.

Again, no offense intended. I'm not questioning your personal observations. Just how you seemed to be thinking about extrapolating them.
2013-07-11 10:39 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by JohnnyKay You seem to be taking my comments quite personally. I apologize if I've offended you as they are not meant that way. All I meant is that your experience in training for shorter races is probably not complete enough to know how your body might feel if your 'routine' workouts were held to somewhat lower levels (really just the longest duration workouts) but consistently had a higher level of intensity. If you've decided that you WANT to train harder for a longer race and less-hard for a shorter race, then your observations make sense. Otherwise, there's no particular reason that the "average joe" is going to do a substantially different amount of work (volume + intensity, not just hours) dependent upon their race. Only the type of specific race-prep work has to change materially. The rest is choice. All these races are endurance races, so I don't really buy the "different bodies" argument. I do, however, agree that people find different levels of enjoyment/satisfaction from different types of racing and training. And, speak for yourself, but I am as much in 'awe' of Usain Bolt as I am of Yiannis Kouros. Again, no offense intended. I'm not questioning your personal observations. Just how you seemed to be thinking about extrapolating them.

You have beaten up on me a little through the years but I'll stop being a little girl and taking it personally Smile

I understand what you're saying.  My intensity level for short distance will never be like that of a pro or even like that of the top amateurs.

I have just found over the years that higher volume + lower intensity leads to more fatigue, soreness and injury than does lower volume + higher intensity.  I don't feel that is a training plan flaw.  I also don't feel that it's a function of me working harder on one than the other, or enjoying one more than the other.  I conclude that my body just responds better to one than the other likely due mainly to genetic factors.

2013-07-11 10:41 AM

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I conclude that my body just responds better to one than the other likely due mainly to genetic factors.

So some people are different than others?
Who knew?  

2013-07-11 11:05 AM

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by JohnnyKay You seem to be taking my comments quite personally. I apologize if I've offended you as they are not meant that way. All I meant is that your experience in training for shorter races is probably not complete enough to know how your body might feel if your 'routine' workouts were held to somewhat lower levels (really just the longest duration workouts) but consistently had a higher level of intensity. If you've decided that you WANT to train harder for a longer race and less-hard for a shorter race, then your observations make sense. Otherwise, there's no particular reason that the "average joe" is going to do a substantially different amount of work (volume + intensity, not just hours) dependent upon their race. Only the type of specific race-prep work has to change materially. The rest is choice. All these races are endurance races, so I don't really buy the "different bodies" argument. I do, however, agree that people find different levels of enjoyment/satisfaction from different types of racing and training. And, speak for yourself, but I am as much in 'awe' of Usain Bolt as I am of Yiannis Kouros. Again, no offense intended. I'm not questioning your personal observations. Just how you seemed to be thinking about extrapolating them.

You have beaten up on me a little through the years but I'll stop being a little girl and taking it personally Smile

I understand what you're saying.  My intensity level for short distance will never be like that of a pro or even like that of the top amateurs.

I have just found over the years that higher volume + lower intensity leads to more fatigue, soreness and injury than does lower volume + higher intensity.  I don't feel that is a training plan flaw.  I also don't feel that it's a function of me working harder on one than the other, or enjoying one more than the other.  I conclude that my body just responds better to one than the other likely due mainly to genetic factors.

If you feel I've 'beaten you up', it's only because I happened to disagree with things you were stating and (typically) I keep my responses brief and pointed--leaving them open to wide reader-interpretation of intent/tone. Just so you know, my intent is simply to disagree with a statement. And my tone is most definitely not abrasive. (At least until someone gets abrasive with me.)

Not to disappoint this time either, I'll just leave it at me (respectfully) disagreeing with your conclusions on training flaws and genetics. I can't prove my opinion any more than you can prove yours. But, like you, I have a basis for my belief.
2013-07-11 11:10 AM

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Originally posted by b2runPeople tend to be in awe of things that they can't do, things that take a lot of talent, things that take a lot of work, and things that take a lot of time. When I started doing half marathons, I felt that those who did marathons were a little more AWEsome. It's more work and it takes more time. I have worked in and traveled in a number of developing countries. I found it interesting that people who were overweight were considered attractive. Here, where being overweight is easy, people who are slim are generally considered attractive. (not saying I agree with this, just making an observation) I seems that it's like this is because it's harder. Having said that, you can be in awe of whoever or whatever you want but my opinion is that the important thing is that you be in awe of yourself. I'm going to cross the finish line on Sunday, pat myself on the back, wear a grin so big that I'll hardly fit through the finish line standards and think to myself, "you're awesome."
. It's funny I've been on BT a long time and I've been far less active this year. Having said that I replied a bunch of times in your thread so thanks for the start of a good discussion. I don't agree that it's important to be in 'awe of yourself' as I actually think one of the bad raps we as triathletes get is that we are too 'into ourselves' and 'too impressed with ourselves'. The old saying is that 'you know how to spot the triathlete in the room? dont worry, they will let you know lol'. However as you said, it was just your opinion and this is just my opinion. I'm proud of what I've accomplished in triathlon, but definitely not in awe of myself with respect to this.

Excellent reply Fred, and I find it ironic as I made very similar comments to a friend this weekend. Whether you are a triathlete, hiker, climber, etc. What you do is your accomplishment and be proud of it and respect of others accomplishments. I did IMWI for the 2nd time last year, a week later my buddy came back from climbing Kilimanjaro. I have friends that have climbed some epic walls around the world, some have done crazy hiking adventures. What we have in common is mutual respect for each others doings and the work put in, no one is "greater", or more "gifted" then the other.

Back to the OP, I feel that Ironman has become a "you need to try this" event. From a participant view anyone can chase after one at any time. From a "I want to perform at my very best" I think a large majority of triathletes are way to impatient with the process of building up for an Ironman. Seems like most triathletes I met that do Ironman now have been in the sport 1-2 years.

Ironman is not more difficult then Olympic racing, they are completely different races and each deserves the respect it takes to perform well.

Chris McCormack made a great summary comparing short course vs long course not too long ago but I can't find the article.
2013-07-11 11:24 AM
in reply to: lisac957

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by lisac957

I conclude that my body just responds better to one than the other likely due mainly to genetic factors.

So some people are different than others?
Who knew?  

Yep, that is my point.  Some people are built to handle longer distance training very well and some are built to handle it not as well.  The right training plan may help; however, some people's bodies will break down faster than others even with all training factors being equal.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is up with this in awe of distance thing Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

upping the distance.

Started by jennifer65
Views: 901 Posts: 5

2011-08-27 5:25 AM jennifer65

Am i doing the right thing?

Started by cj1212
Views: 934 Posts: 3

2009-07-26 9:00 PM breckview

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3071 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

Am I ready for Oly distance?

Started by jessicadawn
Views: 1311 Posts: 18

2007-07-03 4:34 PM jackjack

10k, 1/2 Marathon warm ups?

Started by autumn
Views: 1196 Posts: 4

2004-09-30 9:40 PM slow&steady
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.

date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
comments : 0
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.

date : March 5, 2006
author : TH3_FRB
The goal is to get stronger while your swim, bike and run training schedule is relatively light and you can afford to hit the weights hard a couple times each week.
date : September 11, 2004
author : econway
The goal of this section is to give others ideas on workouts for specific purposes.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.