Pat Griskus Triathlon Series
84F / 29C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 15m 55s
Overall Rank = 85/378
Age Group = 50-54M
Age Group Rank = 12/37
Pre-race routine:

get out of work on time and drive in the pouring rain/thunderstorm for over an hour hoping that the race wouldn't be cancelled
Event warmup:

I swam about 4 minutes then got called out of the water when lightning was noticed and the RD told us of the 'contingency' plans-duothon with time trial start vs 10K road race only...please stop the lightning!
Swim
  • 16m 17s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

went well enough at the beginning-I took a wide left being in the third/last wave on the left side of the buoys and went slowly into the water; drafted well in the first half but when we turned I got kicked VERY hard by a 'breast stroker'...ouch and ouch...took my breath away and had to get control of everything but was able to pull it together-whew...

every swim has adventure for me
What would you do differently?:

avoid the 'side kick' from the martial artist disguised as a swimmer
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

very slow transition as it was rainy and there was no carpet during the run up from the water-got a few rocks in the heel which slowed me to a walk...

easily found bike but made tactical error being near the run exit not the bike exit and that cost some time; also decided on socks at the last minute but they were soaked so that was a mistake also

lots of clogged up riders at the bike mount and I carried my bike right past them and jumped on hearing the announcer claim 'that's how you do it!!!'

terrible time for transition with an OA ranking of 145

pick a spot for my transition closer to the bike exit/entrance
go without socks in a sprint
Bike
  • 32m 35s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 19.36 mile/hr
Comments:

pushed hard right from the start and since I was in the last wave and I'm not that strong a swimmer, I felt like the entire field was out there...and I passed hundreds on the bike but because there are a lot of first timers (who drift towards the middle a lot) and it was wet and conditions were sloppy, I was cautious

despite that, I almost went off the side of the road twice-once when someone just cut me off on a corner to the right and they drifted over to the left leaving me no space at all and another when I was hard on the brakes trying to slow down quickly enough--clearly my own fault

the hilly course sapped my energy and I wish I could have had more in the tank to push the hills harder--I did my best hammering the slight downhills and caught many people in clumps on these sections

make a sacrifice to the weather gods ahead of time...

well, nothing really, except train more...you had to be careful out there and I'm still woefully underexperienced in sprint tri racing
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

a bit better in this transition despite the fact I took off my wet socks and ran with no socks which took a few more seconds

OA T2 time was 106th

nothing really
Run
  • 23m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

surprising execution and I'm pleased but still think I could do much better on the run with better fast/brick training

had to slow down on the last mile as my left calf starting to pull again and I was afraid of an DNF so I did not push as hard on the last 1/2 mile as I could have

not have a calf injury 1.5 weeks prior to this race
Post race
Warm down:

my own iced towel and a very cold Newcastle Ale

What limited your ability to perform faster:

weather, injury, training-in that order

Event comments:

I like the open transition area and the relaxed nature of the event with lots of support. It is a good time and everything goes quickly. Mid week races are tough travel-wise and this was one with a big turnout and I'm impressed by that.

There were an awful lot of triathlete's in my AG that were VERY fast. 9 out of the first 33 racers were 50-54M. (#8 in my AG ran 1:09)

Wow. The old guys like this race. I'm going to have to train a bit harder to catch these guys.

Last updated: 2013-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:17 | 880 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/37
Overall: 123/378
Performance: Below average
out to the turn buoys in 7:51 (HR=140) back in 8:40 (HR=143)
Suit: Blue 70 Sleeveless
Course: Two lanes with A/B groups swimming on the left/right of buoys and turn and come back together in the middle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:32:35 | 10.5 miles | 19.36 mile/hr
Overall: 60/378
Performance: Good
first half-HR=149 second half-HR=148
Wind: Some
Course: counter clockwise loop leaving Quassy going right and down the hill and coming back around the lake from the other side
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 90+
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:39 | 03.1 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Overall: 94/378
Performance: Good
I almost even split the run despite it being down the entire first half and up the entire second half HR=145/145/148
Course: straight out of the park and down the road bearing right and then down, down, down to the turn around point then up, up, up... why does every tri race in Middlebury end on that same friggin' hill...it does not stop...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-11 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: Pat Griskus Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pat Griskus Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pat Griskus Sprint Triathlon

Started by BaitBoy
Views: 2150 Posts: 4

2008-07-11 9:57 AM Stone

Started by jperreault171
Views: 1141 Posts: 1

2007-07-17 8:29 PM jperreault171

Started by django7176
Views: 1196 Posts: 1

2007-07-14 8:33 AM django7176

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 1878 Posts: 5

2007-07-13 12:01 PM stumfossil

Started by Bajapat
Views: 1944 Posts: 6

2007-07-13 7:47 AM apw0397
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.