Other Resources The Political Joe » What would you do? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-07-12 9:35 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: What would you do?
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/11/justice/florida-rape-case/index.html?...

If you were the homeowners in this situation what would you do?

2013-07-12 9:50 AM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: What would you do?
Have my husband get his gun, let her in, and slam the door. Call 911. 
2013-07-12 10:16 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
As a woman (who lives alone) I would have a hard time leaving another woman outside like that. But my spidey senses would also be totally UP. I probably would have called my big burley next door neighbor and had him come over to help - while calling 911 of course.
2013-07-12 11:45 AM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by KateTri1Have my husband get his gun, let her in, and slam the door. Call 911. 
Yeah, this. Or I woulda just grabbed a gun. Then I'd pour her a whiskey, get her a robe and sit back and watch my bigazz dogs work the SOB over.
2013-07-12 11:55 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
I think it really depends.  If I'm home with just the baby and me, I couldn't let her in.  If just me (no baby) or if husband is home (with baby), I'd be more comfortable with it.  It's a really tough situation, and I can totally understand why the homeowners made the decision they did. 
2013-07-12 12:19 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Expert
North Cackalacky
This happened to me many years ago, only instead of rape it was "help, they're trying to kill me." I was living in an apartment with my wife, no kids yet. I did the following:

1. Let her in, said "Sit right there, and keep quiet," locked door, did cursory inspection for obvious injuries, etc.
2. Got my pistol.
3. Called the police (interestingly, the dispatch operator said I should think twice in the future about taking Step 1)

The police came and retrieved the lady. My wife never woke up through the whole thing.

Now that I have children, I imagine that my response would be nearly identical, in the hopes of ensuring my children some karmic assistance should one them unfortunately ever find herself in a situation like this.

2013-07-12 12:25 PM
in reply to: ScudRunner

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Now we ALL want guns!!!

Would be a tough call and I can understand their fear! Glad the guy was caught!

2013-07-12 12:51 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by jford2309

Now we ALL want guns!!!

Just those of you who don't already have them. Suckas
2013-07-12 1:15 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Originally posted by switch

Now we ALL want guns!!!

You should have seen LA in '92. The same Volvo driving people who demanded a waiting period, "Whaddya mean I've got to wait 15 days? They're RIOTING out there."

Had buddies who were literally laughing at neighbours who came over to borrow a shotgun or two.

Yeah, but people who think ahead about this stuff are unreasonable.

2013-07-12 3:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by DanielG

Now we ALL want guns!!!

You should have seen LA in '92. The same Volvo driving people who demanded a waiting period, "Whaddya mean I've got to wait 15 days? They're RIOTING out there."Had buddies who were literally laughing at neighbours who came over to borrow a shotgun or two. Yeah, but people who think ahead about this stuff are unreasonable.
Haha. Exactly! Damn, I have the best gun control Simpsons piece I want to link to right now but am on my phone. Drat. A shotgun is a great little piece of home security. And big loyal dogs. They're the best...give you lead time.

Edited by switch 2013-07-12 3:16 PM
2013-07-15 10:00 AM

User image

There were a group in the Vegas area a while back that did something similar to gain access. I don't remember all the details but primarily a woman would go to a door and pretend to need help and when someone would open the door a man or two would barge in. 

To answer your question, I don't know specifically what I would do, it wold depend on the circumstances. 

2013-07-15 10:00 AM

User image

There were a group in the Vegas area a while back that did something similar to gain access. I don't remember all the details but primarily a woman would go to a door and pretend to need help and when someone would open the door a man or two would barge in. 

To answer your question, I don't know specifically what I would do, it wold depend on the circumstances. 

2013-07-15 10:10 AM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Elite
In general, if I think I need my gun to answer the door... I don't. But in that case, two dogs and a .45, yes, she comes in. I really do not know how people live without both... even though I have never "needed" either. I'm a firm believer dogs are the best thing to make sure I do not need the other.
2013-07-15 10:15 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by DanielG

Now we ALL want guns!!!

You should have seen LA in '92. The same Volvo driving people who demanded a waiting period, "Whaddya mean I've got to wait 15 days? They're RIOTING out there."Had buddies who were literally laughing at neighbours who came over to borrow a shotgun or two. Yeah, but people who think ahead about this stuff are unreasonable.
Haha. Exactly! Damn, I have the best gun control Simpsons piece I want to link to right now but am on my phone. Drat. A shotgun is a great little piece of home security. And big loyal dogs. They're the best...give you lead time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIpLd0WQKCY

2013-07-15 11:35 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I would probably let her in then call the police which is wrong. I should call the police first no mater what.

I would not blame them for making her wait outside. Especially if your in the middle of no where. Main thing is to call the police and get there

2013-07-16 2:57 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I'd unlock the door with my bullpup (a gun with a dog in the name, best of both worlds!) in the ready position then tell her she can open it. She shuts the door behind her and stays exactly where I tell her until I decide she isn't part of a scheme. Cops on the phone.

2013-07-16 3:04 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro

The best response is the one where nobody gets hurt.....sounds like the homeowners did fine to me.  They got help for her and nobody got hurt any more.

I'm sure there may be other responses where nobody would have gotten hurt, but we'll never know, and hindsight is worth jack chit as far as I'm concerned.

2013-07-16 6:35 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Originally posted by Aarondb4

I'd unlock the door with my bullpup (a gun with a dog in the name, best of both worlds!) in the ready position then tell her she can open it. She shuts the door behind her and stays exactly where I tell her until I decide she isn't part of a scheme. Cops on the phone.

you would hold a rape victim at gunpoint?  just leave her outside, damn.

2013-07-16 6:36 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro
Originally posted by mehaner
Originally posted by Aarondb4

you would hold a rape victim at gunpoint?  just leave her outside, damn.

Thanks

2013-07-17 1:25 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
it really would depend on how quickly you can think in that moment.

Luckily with the layout of my house and yard. The person could sit on the front step until help arrived or I could unlock the gate on the side of the house and let them in the back yard. They could relock the gate and be in a secure place, even though it's outside, while I'm still safe in the house watching the situation while talking with police.

I don't blame the couple for not letting the person inside at all. If you can see the person, that means you could also see if anyone comes back.

But it really depends on each individual and how there house is layed out. My sisters house and area... No way I'd let them inside
2013-07-17 5:45 AM
in reply to: Gaarryy

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'd say there's a lot of "it depends" with me as well, with a heavy emphasis on gut feel.  If the lady seemed like a strung out druggie then my response may be to tell her to stay on the porch, get her a blanket (or whatever) and call the police.

If she appeared to be actively in danger with the perp still chasing or coming after her I'd be far more inclined to let her in and it wouldn't be pretty for the bad guy if he tried coming in too. 

OK, now the other part that really makes me want to just go shoot this guy.  In the article it stated that this dude raped her multiple times and then "Responding officers then searched for the suspect and found him with a "known prostitute" in his car, the report said."

OK, I've seen some bad sex addicts in my days but this dude needs to never see the light of day again.  Holy crap.

2013-07-17 6:52 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by tuwood

I'd say there's a lot of "it depends" with me as well, with a heavy emphasis on gut feel.  If the lady seemed like a strung out druggie then my response may be to tell her to stay on the porch, get her a blanket (or whatever) and call the police.

If she appeared to be actively in danger with the perp still chasing or coming after her I'd be far more inclined to let her in and it wouldn't be pretty for the bad guy if he tried coming in too. 

OK, now the other part that really makes me want to just go shoot this guy.  In the article it stated that this dude raped her multiple times and then "Responding officers then searched for the suspect and found him with a "known prostitute" in his car, the report said."

OK, I've seen some bad sex addicts in my days but this dude needs to never see the light of day again.  Holy crap.

Apologies for the thtead hijack. Tony, this guy definitely seems like he has issues, but how do you/does one define "sex addict"?
2013-07-17 8:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Tony.....lemme help you out on this before one of these gals burns you to the ground.  Rape has nothing to do with sex.  Rape is about power.  I realize that I spend someof my days and nights in places you might never go, but this suspect in this case is, in all likelihood, a pimp.  It's pretty standard procedure for his "bottom biatch ", which is a term used to describe a pimp's main prostitute, to bring him prospective prostitutes.  One of the first things he will do is rape her.  In fact, he will usually rape her repeatedly over a number of days.  Some (alot, most.... whatever) of those women have no idea what they are getting into in that regard, and some pimps are just much more violently brutal than others.  From what I have seen, this story is almost assuredly a pimp who raped a prospect who didn't know that was part of the deal, and then got caught with his "bottom biatch " in the area.....likely trying to find the victim.

As for all of the "ideas" of what you should/would do if someone is naked and screaming for help......well, you go help...that's what we do for each other as human beings....or at least it should be.  If you (the collective you) think some naked woman banging on your door screaming for help is trying to set you up, you need to turn your television off, because you watch too much of it.

EDIT - sorry to work around the cursing filter.....but I couldn't post the slang term for her position within a prostitution organization without going around it.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-07-17 9:03 AM
2013-07-17 9:17 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Left Brain

Tony.....lemme help you out on this before one of these gals burns you to the ground.  Rape has nothing to do with sex.  Rape is about power.  I realize that I spend someof my days and nights in places you might never go, but this suspect in this case is, in all likelihood, a pimp.  It's pretty standard procedure for his "bottom biatch ", which is a term used to describe a pimp's main prostitute, to bring him prospective prostitutes.  One of the first things he will do is rape her.  In fact, he will usually rape her repeatedly over a number of days.  Some (alot, most.... whatever) of those women have no idea what they are getting into in that regard, and some pimps are just much more violently brutal than others.  From what I have seen, this story is almost assuredly a pimp who raped a prospect who didn't know that was part of the deal, and then got caught with his "bottom biatch " in the area.....likely trying to find the victim.

As for all of the "ideas" of what you should/would do if someone is naked and screaming for help......well, you go help...that's what we do for each other as human beings....or at least it should be.  If you (the collective you) think some naked woman banging on your door screaming for help is trying to set you up, you need to turn your television off, because you watch too much of it.

EDIT - sorry to work around the cursing filter.....but I couldn't post the slang term for her position within a prostitution organization without going around it.

Thanks LB.  That was, uh, enlightening :/

I still would like to hear more about the definition of "sex addict".  I have to admit, I think I first heard this term with the whole Tiger Woods thing, and I was like, "Uh...yeah, OK, so that's almost every guy I know.  So now he can just say...sorry honey, I'm a sex addict...I'm really struggling with my addiction.  Help me."  I'm not trying to make light of this (well, OK, not really), but I am trying to understand how one gets classified as an addict.  Seems like there could be some pretty fine lines...

2013-07-17 9:20 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by Left Brain

If you (the collective you) think some naked woman banging on your door screaming for help is trying to set you up, you need to turn your television off, because you watch too much of it.

yeah trouble with these what ifs. People tend to over think them. most of the time you would just react and not even think about your ideal plan.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » What would you do? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"