Without Limits Productions
74F / 23C
Precipitation
Total Time = 54m 24s
Overall Rank = 12/999
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/55
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at friends' in Falmouth (one of whom raced with). Got up slightly less silly early than if I had to drive a few hours, ate a bagel and almond butter, had some coffee, etc. Drove to town, parked and rode about a mile to the transition (in the mist, which turned to drizzle, which turned to rain). Got transition set up in rain and, after a turn through the port-o-johns, got the suit on and hit the water. Saw a bunch of folks before the race (best part!).
Event warmup:

Rode from parking to the race (1 mile), ran about 0.5 miles or a bit more with some strides, swam about 200 yds with some pickups.
Swim
  • 06m 27s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

RD said there was a current going R-L, so line up to the right. Watched a few waves of racers (as an old guy, I have the benefit of lots of pace-booty/current testers out front, being in wave TEN), and didn't see a lot current, so took the inside (left).

MOTORED out at the start (trying something new with that approach) and was in second through the first buoy and on the first place guy's feet. Not sure what happened, but I took like 3 strokes and was of a sudden off 10' to the right of the course. Had to pull it back on course and got on feet of second or third place person, but could have done better had I not mental lapsed for a second there. EVERY second counts in a sprint (another good lesson).

Overall, very happy with this swim. First time I've tried to swim HARD (been concerned about losing my breath and not getting it back), but all the swimming in training helped (duh!).
What would you do differently?:

Not space out and lose some fast feet!
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Longish run through a long parking lot, then into T1 and longish run through same lot to bike. Ouch.

Got suit off quickly at same time as put helmet on (never would've thought of that if it was an option on these RR's - thanks BT!!). Grabbed bike and ran to the mount line through a MOB of people. Had shoes on with elastics. Swung leg over and onto pedal and rolled out into the mayhem of a thousand cyclists...

Not much. Was happy with this one.
Bike
  • 23m 39s
  • 9.65 miles
  • 24.76 mile/hr
Comments:

This was one CROWDED course. Add the poor conditions, and there were unfortunately some wrecks. Thankfully, I was not among them or causing them.

Pushed hard the whole way. Sooooo different from what I did on the Oly a couple weeks back or even the longer bike sprint. Just kept pushing… Had a great bike - and didn't blow up on the run.

Not sure if my run (which was truthfully OK, but not stellar), was hard because of the bike or because I didn't rest at all for this race (after two of my biggest weeks of training yet). Just need to do more to find out - FUN!!!

Not much. Lots of challenges on this one, and I really enjoyed them.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

About a 2 second delay scouting for my spot, so much better than last race! Had a tongue on my R shoe fold over, so another 2-3 seconds on that.

Ummmm, still going with the Mylar balloon at my spot as the best idea going.
Run
  • 21m 38s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

This one was a push for me, but had some good guys to run with. Traded lead a couple times with guys I thought might be in my AG (three were, two weren't). One guy went with about a mile and I couldn't stay with him - fell back about 50'. Reeled him in slowly until he was 3 feet in front of me with another guy (first one wasn't in my AG, other was), then we hit the sand.

Wasn't expecting THAT twist at the end. No way to kick in that stuff (the soft, white, sugar sand that I otherwise love really stinks for a race finish!).

So, shame on me for not scouting the finish with more detail and thinking about a finishing kick. I'd have gone a bit earlier and at least tried to get in front before the 90 degree sand turns. That said, one guy was younger and the other was in the Masters' division - so I was officially the first in my AG (after a second place OA and the Masters guy). Even got the trophy… :)

Scout the finish and THINK about how what I saw (as I did actually scout it) might be important in the race (lunkhead). Otherwise, not much except maybe rest a tiny bit more before the race. All in, I was really happy to put down this run.
Post race
Warm down:

Grab a bottle of water, congratulate the dudes I was running with, jog back to near the finish to find friends and literally cheer myself hoarse as people were coming across the line! Not much of a warmdown, but a BLAST. Got so cold I was shivering in the rain, but wasn't about to leave this one early!

I love these races.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A bit more rest would've helped, but I am SUPER happy with the result.

Event comments:

Awesome day. Such a great venue and what a scene! Biggest race I've done yet, but that gave it a carnival atmosphere… Very cool.

Got to run with new and old friends, so it just doesn't get much more fun.

Also, I'm very happy with the results!

Last updated: 2013-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:27 | 586 yards | 01m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/55
Overall: 0/999
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU T:3
Course: CCW rectangle. No bouys floating away this year, so that was good. A bit of chop coming from front left on first leg, front right on second, and tailing on the way in (which was nice)
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:35
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:23:39 | 9.65 miles | 24.76 mile/hr
Nope - Garmin bottonology problem (user error). Was so focused on racing that I just didn't care enough at that point to push a button!! Figured they have timing chips for a reason. ;)
Wind: Some
Course: Wet, sandy, super crowded, open to traffic, some cranker turns and LOTS of people who didn't care about yellow lines or riding anywhere near the right side of the road (even when there was no one else around). So, it was combat cycling on this course (although I continued to say hi and thanks to folks).
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:38 | 03.1 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Course: Out and back along the beach (Surf Road and then a bike path). GORGEOUS course, but still a bit foggy - could just see the Vineyard (although I was NOT able to look up much!). Finished on sand for last ~100 yds (with a couple turns) and a Slip-n-Slide. I didn't like the sand finish, as you just can't kick and pass on a narrow, windy, deep sugar-sand finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-13 3:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: Falmouth Sprint Triathlon

2013-07-13 6:32 PM
in reply to: #4803269

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: RE: Falmouth Sprint Triathlon
Outstanding! Your excitement and love of the sport comes through in this report. Very encouraging. Thanks!
2013-07-13 7:03 PM

User image

FAST!!!

That's all I got.

2013-07-13 7:39 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Wow, nice showing out there today. Very fast. Congrats!!!
2013-07-14 7:27 AM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Payson, AZ
Nice job
2013-07-16 12:14 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago
Great job! Your excitement really shows. Congrats on the win!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Falmouth Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Falmouth Sprint Triathlon

Started by capewavedancer
Views: 1150 Posts: 1

2008-07-21 9:03 PM capewavedancer

Started by rcberto
Views: 2143 Posts: 9

2008-07-25 7:22 PM Socks

Started by devo
Views: 1305 Posts: 1

2007-08-29 9:04 AM devo

My First TRI: Falmouth Sprint Triathlon

Started by debnewbie
Views: 1119 Posts: 7

2004-07-27 2:00 PM COgirl

falmouth sprint triathlon

Started by c2fd
Views: 758 Posts: 5

2004-07-27 9:53 PM c2fd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.