General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Perform at Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-14 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Ironman Perform at Race
I did the Muncie HIM yesterday and had issues with the Ironman Perform on the bike course. I had been drinking Ironman Perform in training as I knew this was what was on the course on race day. I got the perform at an aid station on the bike and it tasted awful and nothing like the mix (or the perform that was at the check-in the day before). Today I had some of the Perform from the course left and some mix left in my refrigerator from the day before. The drink I had mixed tasted and smelled like the drink the race had at check-in. The bottled drink had a bitter smell and taste that was quite sickening. From the attached photo, it can be seen that the bottled drink is very discolored as well compared to the mix. Has anybody else noticed differences from mix and bottle?

(perform_small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
perform_small.jpg (21KB - 21 downloads)

2013-07-14 1:47 PM
in reply to: nickster

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Perform at Race
Your version looks way too clear. I did the same thing as well for a HIM. Are you sure you're putting enough in? Mine looks pretty yellow and I mixed in my water bottle, 3 scopes if I remember right. The real stuff and powdered made versions always taste different though, even for gatoraid. Think they use syrup for pre-bottleed stuff instead of powder.
2013-07-14 2:37 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
My mix was 8 scoops for 64 oz. The color and taste matched what was served at the Powerbar booth. The stuff at the race smelled and tasted horrible, like it had gone bad.
2013-07-14 6:30 PM

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
I've never used the powdered stuff, but I grabbed a bottle of yellow Perform from an aid station in Syracuse, and it tasted like medicine. I'm not sure how anyone can drink that.
2013-07-14 6:43 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
I think the stuff takes like it has gone bad all the time.
2013-07-14 9:56 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I trained with the powdered Perform to prepare for an IM, then bought a few bottles 8 weeks out and found taste quite different and bad. At the time, ingredients were different between the powdered and the ready to drink. I opted to go with another option for calories.

From being on BT when WTC switched to Peform, going thru what I did, I have heard many others that don't like the taste of the bottles and find the taste different.

Look at the labels and see how they compare.

2013-07-15 8:06 AM
in reply to: KathyG

Going to follow this thread in hopes others with IM experience chime in. I've been using the powdered Perform while training for IM Louisville. I mix 2-3 scoops in a 20oz bottle. Taste is fine as long as it's cold. Once it gets warm, I don't care for it. After reading this, I am debating putting two extra bottles in my special needs bag with just powder in them and adding cold water from aid stations on the course. Was really hoping to be able to use course nutrition during the race.
2013-07-15 9:05 AM
in reply to: jkintn

User image

Pro
Houston
My husband did IMFL and at the finish guys were talking about how different the Perform on the course tasted how it was rancid like cough syrup gone bad. This worries me with IMAZ on the horizon.
2013-07-15 10:09 AM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I have sent an email to the race site and Powerbar. I'll let people know what they say.
2013-07-15 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Im using it exclusively in my training for IMFL. It would really be a bummer to have to rethink my nutrition now!!!
I really like the taste of the powdered mix. I too will probably keep the powder in the special needs bag as well.
2013-07-15 10:42 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I just got off the phone with a nutritionist at PowerBar. I described the color of the bottled drink and said that did not sound like what it should look like. He gave me an email address that would accept photos that he would get and sent to their quality control department showing the mixed and bottled Perform. He also is sending me a mailer so I can send PowerBar the remaining Perform in the bottle I saved from the race.

2013-07-15 11:02 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by nickster

I just got off the phone with a nutritionist at PowerBar. I described the color of the bottled drink and said that did not sound like what it should look like. He gave me an email address that would accept photos that he would get and sent to their quality control department showing the mixed and bottled Perform. He also is sending me a mailer so I can send PowerBar the remaining Perform in the bottle I saved from the race.

Thank you for this. I hope they can work out this issue. Considering how much we spend I don't think it's too much to ask for nutrition that is not rancid.
2013-07-15 11:58 AM

Plano, TX
I've done one HIM and one IM and relied upon Perform for both races. On neither did I experience what you're describing as far as a bad taste like it had gone bad. I'm somewhat picky, but I never had a problem with it taste-wise in powder form or in bottled form like what you get on course. What I DID have a problem with is that seemingly there are different flavors on course than what I can purchase retail (in-store at LBS or online) in powder form. Just a shock I was not ready for, but after the initial shock I was fine. Ironically, I used to love gatorade, but now it's way too sweet for me after getting used to perform over the last year....not sure what that's going to do to me in different races that have gatorade or powerade!

Sorry you experienced this, but hopefully this is an isolated experience going forward and it least is sounds like they're trying to take you seriously.

In my bottles (20oz) when I'm mixing, I put in 2.5 scoops (1 scoop per 8oz), fwiw, and looks more like the stuff pictured on the right as far as the darkness of the color. The cup on the left looks like an extremely watered down version...
2013-07-15 12:08 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
definitely worth looking into.
I personally miss Gatorade, as Perform just isn't good to me. Warm Perform, which they handed out last 70.3, was really gross.

I couldn't find an ingredient list for the liquid Perform, but Gatorade has a difference in ingredients comparing the powder to liquid.
That's primarily why I use the powder, as the liquid has weird stuff in it like ester gum and preservatives. Pretty sure they removed the Brominated Vegetable oil (finally).
2013-07-15 12:13 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA

In 2011 in CDA I had trained with powder...then got the bottle on course...GROSS!  I could only take 2 sips and tossed it.  The bottled stuff seems so different...and the fact they don't sell the bottled stuff is a concern.  Seems like they make it only for races.  I do the powder per instructions, so I know it should be different because of concentration.  I'll be trying to carry my own nutrition on the course.  I agree I miss gadorade...as I can use that in a pinch...

Ann

2013-07-15 12:13 PM
in reply to: jte463

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Originally posted by jte463

I've done one HIM and one IM and relied upon Perform for both races. On neither did I experience what you're describing as far as a bad taste like it had gone bad. I'm somewhat picky, but I never had a problem with it taste-wise in powder form or in bottled form like what you get on course. What I DID have a problem with is that seemingly there are different flavors on course than what I can purchase retail (in-store at LBS or online) in powder form. Just a shock I was not ready for, but after the initial shock I was fine. Ironically, I used to love gatorade, but now it's way too sweet for me after getting used to perform over the last year....not sure what that's going to do to me in different races that have gatorade or powerade!

Sorry you experienced this, but hopefully this is an isolated experience going forward and it least is sounds like they're trying to take you seriously.

In my bottles (20oz) when I'm mixing, I put in 2.5 scoops (1 scoop per 8oz), fwiw, and looks more like the stuff pictured on the right as far as the darkness of the color. The cup on the left looks like an extremely watered down version...

I will remix an 8 oz glass of the mix making sure I have one full scoop when I get home and take another photo with a better background. Note that the glasses I used were plastic and were faded and had a whitish appearance. I'll use better glassware for the next photos.

2013-07-15 4:21 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I got home from work and carefully made 8 ounces of Perform by carefully measuring 8 oz of water and one level scoop of mix. I used nice clear glasses to put equal amounts of the bottled perform and the mixed perform. The color difference is quite apparent.

I did check the ingredients for the bottle and mix and there are differences, including the coloring agents used:
Bottle: Water, dual source energy blend (Maltodextrin, Fructose, Dextrose), less than 1% Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Natural Flavor, Salt, Potassium Citrate, Beta Carotene (color).

Mix: C2Max Blend (Maltodextrin, Dextrose, Fructose), Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Salt, Calcium Silicate, Potassium Citrate, Natural Flavor, Turmeric Extract (color).

Checking again, the mix has essentially no odor. The bottled version has an unpleasant odor.

(Perform_2_small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Perform_2_small.jpg (23KB - 23 downloads)
2013-07-15 8:01 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Perform at Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene 2013 Race Report (first Ironman!)

Started by GatorDeb
Views: 4563 Posts: 24

2013-06-29 7:04 PM GatorDeb

Ironman Perform sport bottles

Started by zaugfear
Views: 2387 Posts: 8

2013-11-11 3:05 PM Curtisb

Ironman Perform

Started by GoFaster
Views: 2161 Posts: 14

2011-08-24 10:58 PM Khyron

Ironman Perform and GI Issues

Started by dodgersmom
Views: 3703 Posts: 15

2011-03-25 4:09 PM CRunner10

Powerbar Perform vs Endurance

Started by link5485
Views: 671 Posts: 5

2010-09-14 2:56 PM KathyG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : October 10, 2009
author : qt2systems
In this fourth video of Training for an Ironman, Jesse Kropelnicki will discuss Ironman nutrition before and during the race. Includes carboloading and your race breakfast.
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : January 14, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 12
This is a 3 step program on learning how to do flip turns. Also discussed is the importance of using flip turns during lap swimming.
date : January 3, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 8
I’m not going to sugar coat my experience and tell you that it was a piece of cake, but I am going to attempt to give you some advice and useful information that I wish I had before participating.

date : November 7, 2006
author : mikericci
Training our bodies to work efficiently in Zone 2 will help us keep our HR and pace even throughout an Ironman. This theory would hold true for the bike and run portion of an Ironman race.