General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First DNF Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-14 2:23 PM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: First DNF
Rough one today at the litchfield hills Olympic distance triathlon in CT.

After nearly 40 races I finally had my first DNF. I had a great swim, one of my best ever at this distance, and I was doing well on the bike until mile 9... I got a flat. I quickly changed the tube and was on my way after only losing a couple minutes. I got a second one at mile 11... I took a little more time on this one and tried to carefully inspect the wheel and tire. The, at mile 13.5... You guessed it, another flat. At this moment I finally decided that with no tubes left in my bag, it just wasn't my day. I got a ride back to transition, turned in my chip and number and in an effort to salvage at least part of the day I went out on the run course and ran about 5 miles, including hill repeats on a side road I found.

It sucks to have to take the DNF, but I didn't have many options, I know I'm pretty lucky to have completed so many races over the years of all distances, but it is still a bit of a let down.

2013-07-14 2:29 PM
in reply to: mscotthall

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: First DNF
Sucks, but sounds like you have the right attitude about it.  Also sounds like you didn't have much choice given that most folks never carry more then two spares.  Time to find the source of those flats though.  any ideas?  rim tape maybe?
2013-07-14 3:06 PM
in reply to: mscotthall

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
That's too bad.  I've never had the misfortune to have that happen in a race but it did on a training ride a few months ago.  Had to call for a ride after going through my spare tubes.  Carefully inspected tire before trying again.  Never did find the cause so just bought a new tire.  Must have been something small embedded because it was fine after that.
2013-07-14 7:29 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Bronze member

I flatted in a race this year for the first time too. I took my spares off and left them in the van since it was only a sprint so I couldn't change my tube and I ride 650 wheels so no one that offered a spare tube had one my size. I had to get a ride back to transition then did the same as you, turned in my chip and ran anyway.

Your right, it is a let down, but if you have completed 40 races you know you will be right back out there to try again!

2013-07-15 5:30 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Just in the interest of a discussion did you think to ask another competitor for one of theirs? I'm just trying to think of a way that you could have got it done.

I almost certainly would have done what you did but I would also almost certainly hand a spare to someone that asked me for one.

I think there's a little of bit of triathlon glory for those that finish against the odds and some room for massive kudos to the person who handed you their spare taking some personal risk in the process. There are quite a few stories of pro's helping each other out in this way (Keat helping Wellington springs to mind).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First DNF Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First IM first DNF Pages: 1 2

Started by stretchdew
Views: 3940 Posts: 32

2014-09-26 6:36 AM Hot Runner

My first DNF in 18 years....

Started by miami9296
Views: 1350 Posts: 12

2006-06-27 4:05 PM Daremo

my first DNF

Started by trish123
Views: 1009 Posts: 17

2006-06-19 7:17 AM summer_2005

My first DNF....ARRGH!!!

Started by bmacmanus
Views: 1226 Posts: 9

2005-10-18 6:43 AM isis54

First Tri -- First DNF

Started by feagajk
Views: 1441 Posts: 14

2005-08-22 1:39 PM Mottyl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.
date : June 7, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 3
Clearing my head after failing to finish

date : February 5, 2010
author : jswayland
comments : 7
On the day of the race my chain jumped off again and got wrapped so tightly around my crank that I couldn’t finish. I DNF'ed my first triathlon.
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
comments : 0
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.