Set Up Events
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 15m 57s
Overall Rank = 34/166
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/18
Pre-race routine:

Slept over at my friends house <2 miles from the course. Mounted up and rode our bikes over to the race, got marked, did 100m in the pool. Ate 4 anti-fatigues, 1 gu, some gatorade and some coconut water.
Event warmup:

rode to furman and swim in the pool
Swim
  • 04m 18s
  • 250 meters
  • 01m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

There was significant congestion on the pool. I ended up having to breast stroke and walk because the people ahead of me were not swimming as fast as stated. I talked the guy ahead of me trying to pass and he kicked me on the next wall. I recovered and swam passed him and at the end of the lane he box me out with an elbow to the chest and said "there is no passing here". So I just gave up passing and coasted until the last 25 meters. I passed him and 4 others on the stretch.
What would you do differently?:

Project a faster swim because the 20 people ahead of me lied about their swim time. Also, give feedback to setup events to better stagger the pool swim starts.
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Got out of the pool building and much to our surprise it was down-pouring. I decided to put my socks on now instead of the run because they were going to be soaked. I got out of transition which I though was the curb down but 20 feet ahead was the mount line. I waddled my bike to the mount line and got on and road.

Better contingency plan for what to do if it comes out and there is rain.
Bike
  • 46m 10s
  • 16.5 miles
  • 21.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Road a hard tempo and tried to corner and climb as good to the best I could. I struggled climbing the hills. I ended up running a tri spoke front and rear disc with my hill cassette, this was a good setup for conditions.

more practice on hills
Transition 2
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

Really quick in and out, this went fast because I didn't have to mess with my socks

nothing
Run
  • 23m 36s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty much put all I had out on the course, legs were really toast after the bike but held a decent pace. The hills were tough and the sun came out for a bit adding to the humidity. I though I was going faster then a 7:30 pace because I passed 10 people and only got passed once. The course wasn't marked with mile markers.

Pick up the pace
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line met up with the wives, got some fruit and banana and water. We walked up to race start to watch friend come in on the bike. this took about 20 minutes of waiting and I felt good and stretched out so I decided I would push him through a 5k.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

slow people in the pool not stating accurate swim times, rain on the bike, and hills on the bike and the run. I had a goal of 1:15 so I missed it by under a minute.

Event comments:

With some small modifications to the swim start line and some redesign of the bike course to cut out some of the unnecessary roads. this would be a great race.

Last updated: 2013-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:18 | 250 meters | 01m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/18
Overall: 44/166
Performance: Below average
Suit: Orca tri suit
Course: 6 laps in the pool 1st and last were single lane and the middle 4 were down and back.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:21
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:46:10 | 16.5 miles | 21.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/18
Overall: 26/166
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills with some cornering on a very wet track
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:36 | 03.1 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/18
Overall: 47/166
Performance: Below average
Course: run around furman campus up heartattack hill and about a 1 mile clip on swamp rabbit trail
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-14 8:16 PM

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
Subject: Tri the Swamp Rabbit at Furman

2013-07-14 8:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Tri the Swamp Rabbit at Furman
i thought this was one of the smoothest pool races setup has ever had.. .but then again i didn't have a guy kick me or box me in. that's ridiculous. i wasn't too far behind you in #, 85, and im kind of glad i wasn't around that guy. not sure what i would have done in that situation.

i ran into a group like you are describing though, and the only thing to do in these swims is to hit the gas for a few yards and get past the group. i think i passed 4 people at once because no one wanted to force a pass.

congrats on the race though and sticking through the rain

Edited by Clempson 2013-07-14 8:33 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Swamp Rabbit at Furman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri the Swamp Rabbit at Furman

Started by WoodrowCall
Views: 923 Posts: 2

2013-07-15 5:59 AM slornow

Started by Clempson
Views: 885 Posts: 2

2013-07-14 7:00 PM smithat05

Started by WoodrowCall
Views: 1326 Posts: 2

2012-07-16 2:55 PM slornow

Started by RKornackiPSU
Views: 862 Posts: 1

2012-07-15 7:35 PM RKornackiPSU

Started by Clempson
Views: 1118 Posts: 1

2012-07-14 11:52 PM Clempson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.