Overall Rank = 1200/1540
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 175/203
Pre-race routine:

Nothing Special here,
Raisin Bran and Yogurt for breakfast
setup transition fine...
Event warmup:

Swam around in wetsuit trying to stay warm in the water as the air Temp was in the 60's
Swim
  • 47m 30s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was grateful for the wet suit legal temps as I HATE hot water... I did not push at all on the swim did my best to stay relaxed and focused on breathing. I ended up swimming 1.4 miles accoring to the watch, this was mainly due to the sun on the way back, it seemed like the return trip was split... and I could not figure out which group to follow. Everyone was having a hard time as there was a lot of traffic crossing back and forth.

NEVER once stopped at a kayak, confident swim. Heard James as I got out of the water cheering me on... thanks James! great love that T3 support!
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to push... take a closer look at the course in terms of layout... I just could not see the bouys on the way back...
Transition 1
  • 06m 45s
Comments:

When I pulled the bike off the rack the aero bottle strap broke and I fiddled with it for longer than I should have...

strap that bottle on and be a little more careful when unracking the bike
Bike
  • 2h 59m 37s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Broke my elbow pad mount on the left side about mile 30 when I dug in for a pass... One of the screws broke... It was still attached but it took some leaning adjustments to use the TT position.

Then the bad part of the day... about mile 53 on the roughest part of the course, I yelled out on your left to a guy I had been battling for the past 10 miles... he moved over a bit and lost a tire off the road... the last thing a remember was there was a bike in front of me on the ground and I had not where to go... Had to at least be rolling 20-22mph as I was passing him... I somewhat remember flying over the handle bars... but thats about it.... I may have blacked out for a second, but it took me about 6 minutes to get up... I heard riders passing by telling us both they would send help... After laying still on the road for (according to the pause time on the garmn about 6 minutes, I got up as heard the ambulance coming... I asked the other guy if he was OK, took a quick look at my bike... the handle bars were dinged up and I had a little paint exchange, but nothing serious... So I jumped on passed the ambulance, because I knew if I was still there when they arrivd they would want to check me out... So I mounted up and head to transition...dripping blood off my elbow... It was a rough ride there... It crossed my mind for about 2 seconds to not run... but that went away real quick... I laced them up wiped the blood off my arm and leg and headed out on the run.

leave more room to pass...LOL!
Transition 2
  • 07m 17s
Comments:

Took me a while to get cleaned up...

Don't leave the GLIDE out in the sun... it turns to liquid...
Run
  • 2h 46m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Hip and ribs hurt with everystep and every brat... Took some drugs to ease the pain... I got into the Ironman TROT and kept moving forward slow and steady. The temp kept getting hotter and hotter... I did start to feel better the 2nd half of the run and managed to pull off a negative split. I saw Pat just past the turn around... although he still beat me in overall time... The fact that he was coming after me made me push... Thanks Pat! Heard James as I came into the finish chute... Love that support!

Train more bricks....at least more than 1...
Post race
Warm down:

Kristina advised me to go to the medical tent.. which i did... They said I had a deep tissue bruise on my quad and a hip pointer, and possibly some bruised ribs and elbow... But nothing was broke...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

CRASH and Lack of training

Event comments:

Would be nice to have somewhere to sit to eat food...

Last updated: 2013-07-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:30 | 2112 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 160/203
Overall: 1148/1540
Performance: Good
Suit: Xtera sleeveless
Course: Odd shaped rectagle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:45
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:59:37 | 56 miles | 18.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 154/203
Overall: 1005/1540
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly flat witha few rollers.... Fast and down hill with a tail wind on the return trip
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:17
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:46:55 | 13.1 miles | 12m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 175/203
Overall: 1200/1540
Performance: Below average
Course: HOT, great volunteers... a few minor hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-07-15 8:55 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Muncie

2013-07-20 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4804160

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Muncie
Wow sorry to hear about your issues on the bike. Things went from annoying w/ the bottle mount to aggravating w/ the arm pad falling apart to all hell breaking loose with the crash. Glad you weren't seriously hurt and were able to salvage your race.

I didn't see any major issues out there on the bike on race day but the new section of road certainly didn't help the safety factor any.
2013-07-20 11:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Muncie
Oops double post...

Edited by wbattaile 2013-07-20 11:50 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Muncie Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by miyutris
Views: 2441 Posts: 7

2011-07-10 7:48 PM wallico

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by beadams
Views: 2126 Posts: 3

2011-07-10 7:41 PM Oldteen

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by marathongirl11
Views: 2441 Posts: 7

2011-07-12 4:41 PM jillian_o

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by
Views: 1056 Posts: 1

2011-07-10 8:18 AM

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by brendon_moody
Views: 2874 Posts: 7

2013-01-05 7:24 PM MFConlon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.