General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me choose a wetsuit, TYR vs HUUB vs all the others Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-15 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Subject: Help me choose a wetsuit, TYR vs HUUB vs all the others
Hi,

Sorry for asking this question again... A few months back I asked for advice on a wetsuit for a strong swimmer. I decided on a HUUB Archimedes but they couldn't deliver by the time I needed it, so I ended up with a Zone 3 Vanquish. Not a success, I returned it and got a refund.

I did learn some lessons with the Vanquish though:

- the number one selling argument for just about all wetsuits is what bothers me most: Buoyancy. They say balanced buoyancy, I say corrective. While I'm not accustomed to wearing a wetsuit I felt that the corrective buoyancy impairs my sighting abilities.

- I want a wetsuit to keep me warm, swimming in 17C is a no go without a wetsuit, but the wetsuits doesn't mention how well they keep the swimmer warm. What I know from surf wetsuits, I doubt I'd Aquasphere swim skin is enough.

So what's the doubt, why not just order the Archimedes? Well, pricetag for one thing, I tried to compare with the Aerious and the only difference - at least in listed key features - are the bicep and calf release panels - worth another £150? While I don't care so much about the bicep release - ok they look cool - I do care about calf release for fast transition.

And to mess up my mind, it turns out that the Tyr C5 is available with discounts at about the same price as the Aerious... Tyr writes their wetsuits are 5mm upper body, core and legs, the same buoyancy throughout, as in 5:5? While Huub is available in 4:4. The Tyr may be too hot, and too(!?) buoyant even if it is actually balanced, and 5 in the legs I suppose it can be hard to get off if that includes the lower legs. I don't know how the Aerious is in terms of not getting stuck around the ankles...

How do the two compare?

Thanks, Erik

2013-07-15 10:58 AM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Subject: RE: Help me choose a wetsuit, TYR vs HUUB vs all the others
Whichever one fits best is the one to go with. I would put buoyancy, warmth and pretty much everything else starting at item number four with the first three things being Fit, Fit, and Fit.

2013-07-15 11:18 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
I have a 4:4 Aerious.  I have no more trouble getting it off than I did with my Xterra.  As for buoyancy, I do find it a bit less than my Xterra (Vector Pro) was.
2013-07-15 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
I race wetsuit legal races in the TYR Cat 5. I can't recommend this suit enough, I just bought one for my fiancee. I've had and older Zoot and the TYR Cat 1.
The Cat 5 is much more flexible in the shoulders than the other two. The material, though much thinner than the Cat 1, is much more durable. The Cat 1 is full of nicks and I have yet to nick the Cat 5.
With the thinner material, the Cat 5 is not as warm as the Cat 1.
I also like the "buoyancy panels" in the Cat 5. They are positioned on the abs, thighs and lower back, and they make me horizontal in the water. The Cat 1 seems to lift you everywhere and I feel like my lower legs are too high.

FWIW - One of our local OWS guys just got a Roka "Maverick". He loves it and says its the fastest wetsuit he's worn, but he hates the neck. He gets horrible chaffing and his neck looks like hamburger after a 3k swim.
2013-07-15 6:30 PM

User image

When I first put on my wetsuit, I feel like I've been violated, it's so tight! After I get in the water I hold open the neck area. As soon as I get some water into the suit, I can shift it around and reposition it so that my arms have no restrictions. After that, it feels like a second skin!
2013-07-15 9:45 PM
in reply to: Macguyverguy

User image

Veteran
Broomall, PA
Strong swimmer and I use the HUUB Archimedes 3:5. I would have gotten the 4:4, but I got an insane deal on the 3:5. I was initially concerned since I already have good balance in the water, but It actually works perfectly for me. I also have a xterra vector pro and I found that to be WAY more buoyant in the legs compared to the HUUB. I don't LOVE the shoulder flexibility, but I also have big broad shoulders, so I bet I'd find any suit to feel restrictive. In general though, it's a great wetsuit.

2013-07-17 7:37 AM

I have a Huub Aerious and really like it. I have the 3:5 since for some reason I am like a brick in the water. I haven't had any issues getting the suit off of the ankles, but I do have small ankles though. I find the sizing is pretty good as well since the suit is so stretchy. I sometimes forget that I am even wearing it in the water.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me choose a wetsuit, TYR vs HUUB vs all the others Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New vs used, local vs online, rent vs buy - Wetsuits for Southerners with limited funds

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 1282 Posts: 5

2011-09-30 5:21 PM MacMadame

HR Training vs distance vs time vs...

Started by fester808
Views: 1610 Posts: 9

2009-04-15 1:29 PM fester808

Bibjohn's vs Sleeveless vs. Full Wetsuits

Started by klowman
Views: 1403 Posts: 16

2009-03-31 10:34 AM JohnnyKay

Giant vs Felt vs QR vs Cervelo Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Newbie5317
Views: 7191 Posts: 65

2008-02-21 12:04 PM karhooligan

PowerTap vs Ergomo vs Computrainer vs ?

Started by TypeA Girl Pilot
Views: 1845 Posts: 18

2006-11-15 4:39 PM AusVirgin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 14, 2010
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.

date : February 4, 2010
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.
date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : June 27, 2007
Questions and answers on sleeve vs sleeveless wetsuits, benefits of bilateral breathing and practicing it, technique drills, sighting practice, paddle use, weight training and flip turn help.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.