General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Husband's hilarious HIM spectator race report Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-07-16 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: Husband's hilarious HIM spectator race report
My husband is the publisher of our hometown paper. He wrote his column this week about his experience during my first HIM, Muncie 70.3, on Saturday. For those of us who have very giving, and forgiving, spouses in this sport, I thought you all would get a kick out of his story.

http://timesgazette.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=382&Artic...

As fate would have it, I'm wearing a light blue t-shirt which is identical in color to the t-shirts worn by the countless volunteers helping out at the race. Several times throughout the day, people stop me to ask information, including young volunteers who assume I'm a volunteer supervisor. I finally get tired of explaining that I'm not, and just start answering their questions.

An older couple, tugging a little black terrier on a red leash, walks up to me and asks, "Are dogs allowed on the beach?"

I say, "Absolutely. Make yourselves at home." They go away very happy.

A young girl in a volunteer shirt runs up to me and says, "Sir, do you know what time I'm supposed to be at my station?"

"Uh, what's your name?"

"Julie."

"Oh, yeah. Ten minutes ago."

She makes a "Yikes!" face and dashes off.

Edited by Lora109 2013-07-16 9:03 AM

2013-07-16 8:55 AM
in reply to: Lora109

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: Husband's hilarious HIM spectator race report
now i feel really bad for every race i've made my husband attend...
2013-07-16 9:14 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Veteran
Broomall, PA
hahaha that was a great write up! anything passed sprint, i tell people not to brother coming!
2013-07-16 9:27 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Very well written.....spectating is tough especially on longer races.

My first HIM, my husband and 3 of our kids were stuck in a park without any food, and it was a long day for them.

2013-07-16 9:30 AM
in reply to: MFConlon

User image

Extreme Veteran
What a great write up. Do you mind if I share this as I am sure my family would get a hoot out of this as I am sure they shared the same feelings as your husband.
2013-07-16 9:31 AM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
A few funny parts but seemed to be a lot of complaining while trying to pass it as funny. Maybe I just don't get his humor. I'd tell him to HTFU and get out of the truck.

2013-07-16 9:34 AM

User image

Great article!!! Love this and makes me appreciate how much my fiancé (Coach Booger) loves to spectate and cheer. We are very lucky women!!!

Patti
2013-07-16 9:34 AM

User image

Great article!!! Love this and makes me appreciate how much my fiancé (Coach Booger) loves to spectate and cheer. We are very lucky women!!!

Patti
2013-07-16 9:43 AM
in reply to: pugpenny

User image

That was a great article. My husband is always with me 100% even when I call him my Sherpa. He is taking the pictures and offering encouragment. Doesn't complain when we leave the house at 6am and he has to check my bike tires in the cold. He always enjoys a great nap at the end of the day. I really know I couldn't do it without his support.
2013-07-16 9:46 AM
in reply to: pugpenny

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

That was very cute. 

When my mom and my friend's family came to spectate at our first HIM, they ran all over the course to cheer us on at different points. I saw them a few times during the bike and and at least 10 times on the run (seriously!).  They were also exhausted at the end, but I don't think they were bored

2013-07-16 9:56 AM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by papson14 A few funny parts but seemed to be a lot of complaining while trying to pass it as funny. Maybe I just don't get his humor. I'd tell him to HTFU and get out of the truck.

Boooooo to your wet blanket statement - this was hilarious and very insightful as to what our spectators go through.

Loved this part:

I glance at my phone. It's 9:30 a.m. I again pull the lever to recline the seat to its most horizontal position, and fall asleep. What seems like two hours later, I wake up and check the time. It's 9:45. 

2013-07-16 10:58 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Not a wet blanket statement, just my take. If I told my wife I may bag the run, she wouldn't secretly hope I do so she could go home, she'd tell me to keep fighting and trust in my training, my kids would do the same.

I guess some can only dream of the kind of support I get. No complaints, no whining, and people travel all over the globe....and I'm not good, so they wait a fair bit of time. Then they tell me how great it was and bug me for the next race date.
2013-07-16 11:01 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by papson14 A few funny parts but seemed to be a lot of complaining while trying to pass it as funny. Maybe I just don't get his humor. I'd tell him to HTFU and get out of the truck.

Boooooo to your wet blanket statement - this was hilarious and very insightful as to what our spectators go through.

Loved this part:

I glance at my phone. It's 9:30 a.m. I again pull the lever to recline the seat to its most horizontal position, and fall asleep. What seems like two hours later, I wake up and check the time. It's 9:45. 

I'm with papson.  While I appreciate the humor and all, if my spouse wrote that I'd say just stay at home the next time if it's that horribly painful.  wah, wah, wah

2013-07-16 11:01 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-07-16 11:05 AM
in reply to: papson14

Payson, AZ

Originally posted by papson14 Not a wet blanket statement, just my take. If I told my wife I may bag the run, she wouldn't secretly hope I do so she could go home, she'd tell me to keep fighting and trust in my training, my kids would do the same. I guess some can only dream of the kind of support I get. No complaints, no whining, and people travel all over the globe....and I'm not good, so they wait a fair bit of time. Then they tell me how great it was and bug me for the next race date.

Yeah, but that would make for a fairly boring article.  You seem to be taking what I personally thought as a funny story a little to personal.  But to each their own

2013-07-16 11:08 AM
in reply to: krazytallchick

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Originally posted by krazytallchick

What a great write up. Do you mind if I share this as I am sure my family would get a hoot out of this as I am sure they shared the same feelings as your husband.

Glad you enjoyed. Don't mind you sharing at all.

2013-07-16 11:14 AM
in reply to: bzgl40

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by bzgl40

Originally posted by papson14 Not a wet blanket statement, just my take. If I told my wife I may bag the run, she wouldn't secretly hope I do so she could go home, she'd tell me to keep fighting and trust in my training, my kids would do the same. I guess some can only dream of the kind of support I get. No complaints, no whining, and people travel all over the globe....and I'm not good, so they wait a fair bit of time. Then they tell me how great it was and bug me for the next race date.

Yeah, but that would make for a fairly boring article.  You seem to be taking what I personally thought as a funny story a little to personal.  But to each their own

x2

I also get amazing support from my family, they also travel around the country to sit around for 17 hours getting 2-second glimpses of me "racing" - but I'm not naive enough to think that they aren't bored at certain/most points during the day, struggling to entertain the kiddos in the middle of nowhere, or really wishing I would hurry up and finish so we can all go out to dinner or what not.

Have you ever been a spectator at a race? Even I can admit it's pretty boring.

2013-07-16 11:17 AM

Hah awesome!

Seriously, I'm well aware of the agony of spectating endurance events, so I actually insist that my spouse and family do NOT come to cheer me on for triathlons, even Olympic distance ones, since there's so much down time for them between setup, racing, and finish.

ALthough, yes, it would be pretty sweet to see them there as well, but I do enough of 'em that I'm going to spare them the suffering.
2013-07-16 11:19 AM

Pro

That's a fun article....my wife won't come near an age group triathlon.....I don't blame her one bit.  She leaves me alone to train...that's all the support I need.

If you want to watch triathlon, find a draft legal ITU race near you.....it's a blast to watch.

2013-07-16 11:24 AM

Expert
, New Hampshire
Great write up about his day! My longest race to date was a half marathon, and luckily my husband could ride his bike along the course and not be bored out of mind. I'm worried about my upcoming oly because I'm slow and he'll be at the park for a while. I imagine he'll nap on the grass or head out for a short ride on the motorcycle while I'm on the bike. (Course will not be closed to traffic.)

Hope you don't mind me sharing this article with some friends who have acted as race sherpas!
2013-07-16 11:24 AM

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
AWESOME! Love it! Thanks for sharing this!

2013-07-16 11:33 AM

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Daaannng he married UP!
2013-07-16 11:44 AM

Master
Loveland, Ohio

x2

I also get amazing support from my family, they also travel around the country to sit around for 17 hours getting 2-second glimpses of me "racing" - but I'm not naive enough to think that they aren't bored at certain/most points during the day, struggling to entertain the kiddos in the middle of nowhere, or really wishing I would hurry up and finish so we can all go out to dinner or what not.

x3, lisac957 Thanks.
2013-07-16 11:45 AM
in reply to: thebigb

Next article: Loved the free time doing whatever pleased me in the city based triathlon while the other half worked their butt off completing the 70.3 mile event.
2013-07-16 11:47 AM

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

x2

If someone cannot have fun spectating at an event with hundreds to thousands of people around, hundreds to thousands of participants out there, etc then they are a recluse. It's not difficult to have fun in an atmosphere like that.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Husband's hilarious HIM spectator race report Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Kona 2011 Volunteer/spectator report (really really long...) Pages: 1 2

Started by axteraa
Views: 3507 Posts: 42

2012-03-23 8:18 AM Mike_D

Family Spectators at your Race? Pages: 1 2

Started by shmoggy
Views: 2424 Posts: 29

2010-01-30 6:15 PM southwestmba

Kona Spectator's Report

Started by Rollin' Thunder
Views: 1312 Posts: 9

2009-10-15 2:35 PM Writebrained

Race day logistical question for spectators

Started by louiskie
Views: 1276 Posts: 4

2008-07-25 11:07 AM louiskie

my husband's new bike

Started by autumn
Views: 716 Posts: 8

2004-09-28 11:17 AM CptnJackSparrow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : IManTagalong
comments : 2
This is an article about my experience as a husband of a triathlete, while she trained for the Orangeman Triathlon

date : July 11, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
"Fandom" in triathlon compared to other sports. If you're a sports fan and simply love to follow sport, why pick a sport that may offer a view of the start, the finish and a few moments in between?
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : July 23, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
See the Musselman, Mini-Mussel, the ITU Race and the Mussel Kids race video feeds, race reports and pictures.
date : June 6, 2007
comments : 4
Coverage of the entire Mooseman Triathlon Festival with race video feeds, race reports and pictures.

date : July 2, 2006
author : susietri
comments : 6
Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.
date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 0
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.

date : August 31, 2004
comments : 38
Know how to get around BT. Some essentials on emails, passwords, pictures, login problems and more.