General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Prep - Heat and Humidity Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-17 1:13 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Race Prep - Heat and Humidity
So, I am racing this weekend - NJ State Tri (Sprint). The weather on Saturday is supposed to be hot an humid, as it has been all week. I have had a terrible time acclimating to the humidity this season. any suggestions for race day? Last year it was in the high 60's with low humidity at the start of the race, so this is going to be different!

2013-07-17 1:30 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Race Prep - Heat and Humidity

Originally posted by hessma So, I am racing this weekend - NJ State Tri (Sprint). The weather on Saturday is supposed to be hot an humid, as it has been all week. I have had a terrible time acclimating to the humidity this season. any suggestions for race day? Last year it was in the high 60's with low humidity at the start of the race, so this is going to be different!

You are a little close to race day to be trying to prep for this..............Spend some time in a sauna tho it might help although 3 days is notmuch time to make progress on this

2013-07-17 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Heat and humidity are a fact of life here in Iowa.  We can't escape it and we can only deal with it.  I make sure that I when I get out of the swim I take a big drink of water.  Then out on the bike I'm constantly taking small sips from my aero bottle.  I never miss a water station on the run too. 

Good thing it's a sprint so it will be over fast.  Bad thing is that during a sprint it's GO TIME RED LINED the WHOLE TIME so you can really burn energy and sweat. 

Not much to prep for in three days though.  I have seen people take a small hand towel, wet it and freeze it.  By the time they start their race, it has melted enough to form around their neck for the ride.  Seems like a lot of hassel to me though.

2013-07-17 3:16 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
I saw a lot of triathletes at Kona dumping ice in their shorts/tops. Maybe if there's ice at the aid stations, take some and do like the pros? Good luck on Saturday. I'm in southern VT and it's 105 with the humidity. I feel your pain!
2013-07-17 3:30 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Yeah, given the time that's left, there's not much you can do to acclimate (and I wouldn't advise trying to and wearing yourself out in the few days prior to the race). On hotter races over the last few years, I've taken to carrying water with me on a fuel belt (even for shorter races, where the conventional wisdom is to travel light). I can drink easier out of the spout on the bottle than the cup and then at water stations one or two cups of nice cold water go straight on the ol' noggin, which keeps me cool for at least a few minutes.
2013-07-17 3:32 PM
in reply to: Ershk

User image

Expert
Chicago
Originally posted by Ershk

Yeah, given the time that's left, there's not much you can do to acclimate (and I wouldn't advise trying to and wearing yourself out in the few days prior to the race). On hotter races over the last few years, I've taken to carrying water with me on a fuel belt (even for shorter races, where the conventional wisdom is to travel light). I can drink easier out of the spout on the bottle than the cup and then at water stations one or two cups of nice cold water go straight on the ol' noggin, which keeps me cool for at least a few minutes.

. . . I should add that this has only backfired once . . . but the Gatorade wasn't colored and there was no stickiness that a shower didn't take care of.

2013-07-17 4:08 PM
in reply to: Ershk

User image

Not much you can do about acclimating at this point, it usually takes at least I few weeks I would think. I did read an interesting article a while ago about drinking a slushy (blended ice) drink before working out in the heat. They found that it lowers the core body temp a few degrees and helps athletes cope with heat. I would be a little worried what it might do to your digestion if you're not used to it, but might be worth a shot. Also, wearing a hat on the run and throwing ice in to it can help too.

http://running.competitor.com/2013/07/nutrition/have-a-slushie-befo...
2013-07-17 4:11 PM
in reply to: tripazardly

User image

Master
NJ

For the Oly they have sponges on run course - may want to inquire @ sprint amenities.  Drink a lot leading up to Sat. so you are fully hydrated. Run is semi shady so that should help.  Good luck and have fun.

2013-07-17 4:13 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
There isn't much you can do with only three days left.  It takes about two weeks for most people to acclimate to heat & humidity.  If you had asked this question three weeks ago, I would have said to do some of your runs in the heat of the day if possible, but keep your intensity lower until you acclimate.  With so little time, about the only thing you can do is make sure you're well hydrated going in, and practice some of the techniques for staying cool during the race such as dumping water over your head, ice down your top, shorts, and under your cap, plus if it's a hilly race, walking or slowing your pace on the steepest hills to avoid overheating.  Once you overheat, it's hard to recover, but if you can avoid it in the first place by slowing down, it can result in a faster overall time than if you had tried to race through it at paces you could have sustained in cooler conditions.
2013-07-17 4:59 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
, Michigan
Slushy idea sounds like something to try.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Prep - Heat and Humidity Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HR Training in heat & humidity Pages: 1 2

Started by jsnowash
Views: 2487 Posts: 28

2010-07-07 2:55 PM RedCorvette

High heat/humidity and running

Started by imim
Views: 2311 Posts: 16

2010-07-07 6:51 AM imim

Race Day Forecast: High Heat and Humidity

Started by amykmo
Views: 1257 Posts: 8

2010-06-09 9:31 AM moxie

HR training frustration in the heat and humidity

Started by TriMike
Views: 1240 Posts: 7

2007-05-23 9:07 AM TriMike

Heat, Humidity and HR

Started by txthorns
Views: 861 Posts: 5

2004-07-07 1:27 PM txthorns
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 31, 2011
author : Curt Chesney
comments : 0
Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat

date : September 17, 2008
author : AMSSM
Heat stress, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke: How do these relate to hydration? Can I be well hydrated and still suffer heat stress?
date : September 8, 2008
author : ValleyCoach.com
Because of potential heat injury and sun damage, there are certain precautions that should be taken. Here are some tips to avoid heat injury.

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?
date : May 30, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day butterflies, long Ironman training bricks, training in the heat, hydration, going hard in a short race, and hammering the swim.

date : July 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 3
In part one the focus was the packing phase of a race. Here are a few more ideas to help with a successful race.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 5
As race day apporaches anxiety builds. Don't let packing add to that list of worries. Part 1 is a checklist compiled by many that I have used on race day.