General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding on US 27( Okeechobee) in Dade / Broward? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-18 7:47 AM

Subject: Riding on US 27( Okeechobee) in Dade / Broward?
Ok, so after some time of riding other locations, i decided to venture out this weekend to US27 by Medley and ride up to Griffin and back (would've been about a 40 miler)... Well, 7 miles in, I get a flat, no biggie, pull over, change, and I'm on my way... "what are the chances of getting a second flat on one trip"? I thought, lol... I have been veryyyyyyyyy fortunate when it comes to getting flats... Well, 2 miles later, the front now goes flat... and no spare nor other repair kit, lol... Fortunately, pulled over under a tree, and had my trusty / dependable wife come pick me up...

I see riders all the time riding on US27, I can't imagine they get as many flats at I did in ten miles. Off of Medley, I was riding to to right of the white line where it says "bike path", then just kind of stayed to the right of that white stripe, kind of knowing that all the debris blows to the side, but with trucks passing by , I figured it was best. My next ride out, i feel like just staying more on the stree, to the left of the white line..

What is the normal practice for those that either ride that path or ride other major roads to avoid flats?

2013-07-24 1:33 PM
in reply to: wuaname

Subject: RE: Riding on US 27( Okeechobee) in Dade / Broward?
27 isn't that bad, as long as you stay to the right of the white line. You have to be OK w/ BIG trucks whizzing right by you, and that unnerves some. I've taken it all the way to Clewiston, and it's OK. Some rough spots and lots of road debris, but it's really the only way to get to Lk. Okeechobee from points south.

As an aside, Do NOT EVER EVER EVER RIDE YOUR BIKE ON KROME AVENUE!!!!!!!!!!!!! No shoulder, a.m. fog, hellacious traffic.....it's always ranked by FLDOT as one of the state's most dangerous roads. Never ride there, no matter what.
2013-07-24 2:52 PM
in reply to: danimal123

Subject: RE: Riding on US 27( Okeechobee) in Dade / Broward?
There is a lot of debris of all shapes and sizes on the side of the road. I would venture a guess you got unlucky.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding on US 27( Okeechobee) in Dade / Broward? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Okeechobee Fun Bike Ride & Social Gathering - January 15th, 2011

Started by velorider62
Views: 2122 Posts: 11

2012-01-16 9:01 AM velorider62

Loop the Lake (Lake Okeechobee) 2/25/12

Started by cardenas1
Views: 1820 Posts: 11

2012-02-21 11:20 AM cardenas1

120 mile Lake Okeechobee ride April 2nd

Started by cardenas1
Views: 1265 Posts: 5

2011-04-04 2:43 PM velorider62

Miami-Dade Riding Routes

Started by mykle15
Views: 4197 Posts: 15

2010-03-13 7:56 AM velorider62

Josh Kuck Memorial Ride, Dade City, this Saturday the 17th

Started by Tri Take Me Away
Views: 666 Posts: 1

2007-11-15 5:13 PM Tri Take Me Away
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
Is gear overlap from the big to small ring a consideration? Will the ratio increment of the compact setup be very beneficial to my riding?

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).