General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First tri coming up Saturday... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-18 9:29 AM

Subject: First tri coming up Saturday...
I'm 43, and before last July I hadn't exercised regularly in about 15 years. (shame on me) Started running with the couch to 5K program in order to a Warrior Dash with my son, and kept doing it. I've now worked my way up to about 20 mpw with a long run of 5-7. Lost about 50 lbs. this year too, though I'm still not what you'd call in really good shape.

Anyway a colleague talked me into doing a sprint with him and it's this Saturday. 400m swim, 10 mile bike, 5K run. Started training in April. I knew how to swim and am comfortable in the water, plenty of snorkeling, etc. But had never swam (swum?) before as exercise. Couldn't go a lap without gasping for air, but now I can go 800-1000 yds pretty comfortably, though I am S L O W. Whatever, I'll keep working on it.

Bike? Meh. I'll be on a borrowed cheap hybrid. I've really enjoyed the limited bike training I've been able to do, and I want to keep it going, get a decent starter road bike, etc. 10 miles is easy to do on a bike even with no training if you're not worried much about speed, so I focused more on the swim and the running.

Anyway no point to this other than to say wish me luck, and thanks for all the great tips I've gotten from the site just by lurking.

Edited by RollTideTri 2013-07-18 9:30 AM

2013-07-18 6:57 PM
in reply to: RollTideTri

User image

Pro
NJ
Subject: RE: First tri coming up Saturday...

Welcome to BT! This site is a terrific resource for new and experienced triathletes. It sounds like you're on a good path for training and doing races with your kids is a great way to keep the entire family involved. No worries about borrowed hybrid bikes for your first (and second, third etc) races.  You'll find plenty of information/advice here when you're ready to purchase a road bike. Until then, enjoy.

Good luck at your race this weekend! Smile, thank the volunteers and have a terrific day. 

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First tri coming up Saturday... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

first tri coming up - Chicago

Started by mhapner
Views: 517 Posts: 2

2007-07-27 5:03 PM Roaddoc

My first tri coming up in two days!

Started by swmmer608
Views: 696 Posts: 9

2007-07-10 11:53 AM Ron

First tri coming fast- anxious, excited, nervous

Started by cornelius300
Views: 557 Posts: 7

2006-06-07 12:35 PM cornelius300

First tri coming up

Started by d_creasman
Views: 478 Posts: 3

2006-03-27 9:12 AM marmadaddy

First Tri Coming in May

Started by wsmatia
Views: 894 Posts: 9

2004-12-30 4:46 PM gocorey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : June 27, 2011
author : FlashBang
comments : 1
Feeling confident and cocky, after finally losing some weight, I got off my back side and into triathlon.
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
comments : 0
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.