General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Goal setting Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-19 9:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: Goal setting
Does everyone go into a race/ season with a goal time in mind?

I guess if you're competing for a podium or qualification, that would be your goal. But I'm trying to figure out my best approach to this.

Each course is so different, that I'm wondering if people go in with a target, or is it just go "as fast as I possibly can and leave nothing in the tank".

2013-07-19 12:22 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: RE: Goal setting
I think season goals and race goals need to be 2 different approaches.

For the season, I usually try to focus on an overarching goal for my training regardless of discipline. This year, it was train 29/30 days a month during the tri season (working on consistency). In the past, this would be a difficult goal to achieve, regardless of injuries. It's measurable, and impacts every discipline. I think it's good to have a discipline-specific goal as well, as you have plenty of time to work towards it (i.e. Stand alone 5k< 20min)

For race goals, I usually stick to time for each particular course, but understand that the conditions that day will probably greatly impact whether the goal is met. Alternatively, you could come up with goals like "riding at XXX heart rate/ power and stick to my race plan". Time is always a worthy adversary, but again conditions dictate your results to a certain extent. I'm not a fan of the "podium" goals or trying to place within a certain placement, as it is entirely dependent on others and not necessarily your performance. For instance, this weekend I'd like to podium, but if there are 5 guys in my AG that absolutely kill the course beyond my own capabilities, I'd clearly not meet this goal... I think effort goals are awesome, and are usually something I have in my mind every race.
2013-07-19 2:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
One way I set goals or "track progress" is comparing past race performances. Most of the time the courses are the same and the weather is similar. But, being in Kansas, the weather factor is always a toss up.

I've run enough of the events multiple times that I have history at that specific event to compare to. It's easier to compare apples to apples when the terrain is exactly the same (for the most part). If my goal was to better the swim, bike or run or change my training focus, to me it's been a interesting metric to compare past races.

You can't really compare the Kansas 5150 bike leg to Shawnee Mission triathlon bike leg. Elevation and gradients are way different. You can look at things like heart rate, power and a few other metrics to see how your body reacted, but each race is so different, it's hard to say "well, I want an Olympic under 2 hours". Might not be attainable at Kansas 5150, but if you find the right course suited to your abilities, it could be possible.

And Mark is right, you can make a goal to podium, but if the entire Schlegel family comes to an event, good luck cracking the top 3 in any age group. Just focus on your abilities and try to create attainable goals. Maybe keep 150 bpm average on the bike. Stay at 90+ rpm. Peg heart rate at 170 for a short course sprint. It's just difficult with such different courses.
2013-07-19 3:07 PM
in reply to: TriJayhawkRyan

User image

Veteran
Have fun, train consistently, have fun, race hard, have fun.

This is not a job, if it feels like one I will probably stop.
2013-07-19 11:25 PM
in reply to: jlpete98

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by jlpete98

Have fun, train consistently, have fun, race hard, have fun.

This is not a job, if it feels like one I will probably stop.

Pretty much this. With my random way of training I've been able to improve every year over the last 4 years, mainly because its still fun. I like doing well getting to the podium but as others have said, it depends on who shows up. What's important to me is that I improve each year. Goals I set for myself are somewhat based on time. Had I done IMKS 70.3 this year I would have been trying for 5:15 but would have been happy with 5:30 since that would have been a 10 minute PR. I think next years goal will be to not crash on the bike....
2013-07-20 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4808664

User image

Kansas City, Missouri
My goals are simple. Stay injury free and improve. Also keep detailed logs, it really helps tracking progress.

2013-07-20 8:10 PM

User image

Wichita
I always set race specific goals before the season start, like sub 20 5k. Going into each race i set a goal for each discipline and an overall goal.

My goal tomorrow is 8 min swim (400 yard swim); 19.1 mph average bike (12 miles) and 7:15/mile 5k run. I find courses seem to vary in length so I have started setting up goals like that above.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Goal setting Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.

date : April 8, 2010
author : Team BT
Create goals to help you train and lose weight. Our logger will automatically update your goals.
date : March 20, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Making goals achievable is an important part of reaching our end goal. Also, having a bar that is set high is important, so we are always striving for something better.

date : July 26, 2006
author : Ron
How do you know if your strength training is effective? Are you getting stronger? Several training log graphs can lend a clue.
date : January 29, 2006
author : mikericci
Setting goals for your triathlon season is important if you want to improve upon where you are and how you raced last year.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
Now we will add in the focus on how you will enter your hands in the water upon recovery, and how to rotate to the next side.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Team BT
Working only on technique will not make a swimmer much faster; some work must be done at speeds and efforts that could cause technique to deteriorate.

date : March 3, 2005
author : Ron
Configure your log settings to get the most out of your training log.