Musselman Triathlon
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 39m 59s
Overall Rank = 447/718
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 26/51
Pre-race routine:

We drove to just south of Williamsport on Friday and stayed over there to break up the trip. Saturday morning, we arrived around 10:30 and did check in and unloaded our things into the on-campus townhouses where we were staying. They were no frills, but were convenient, had what we needed and were cheap.

Laura Cortina and I did a short brick and we all showered and hit Wegmans for lunch before some of us drove the bike course. We went to the pre-race meeting and then to the athlete's dinner on campus. We went back to our condo, got our things together and dropped our bikes off. Took some Tylenol PM to get to sleep.

Sunday, the alarm was off at 4:30 am and we left around 5:20 am. I had a good sized breakfast of a bottled iced coffee (Thanks Tim!) and some Wegman's bread with PB. We got our tires pumped, set up our transition area, hit the port-o-potties, took some pictures and were ready to go. I had a banana and a GU before the swim.
Event warmup:

Me, Cortina, Laura, and Amy were all in the same swim wave (one after the boys and 2 before Heidi). We said our good lucks and walked out to the wade swim start.
Swim
  • 33m 12s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

After my marginal swim at CdA, I have been trying to focus on pushing the swim. I feel like sometimes, I worry more about good navigation and just put my body on autopilot. From the start, I consciously tried to work and push the swim. I was focused on my swim form and had good navigation. I think I was swimming next to Laura Straub and Laura Cortina for a few random parts of the swim. Really cool! We made the second turn and were going right into the sun at that point. I still had solid navigation and kept trying to stay focused on my effort. We entered the channel and things got a tad more congested along with having vegetation in the water (which was getting stuck on my arms, feet, etc). The channel wasn't nearly as nasty smelling/tasting as a few years ago. The water was considerably warmer and it was pretty crowded because of how thin the area was. I was happy with my decision to wear the sleeveless wetsuit. I kept swimming until I hit the boat ramp and could stand up.
What would you do differently?:

In swim training, work on pushing myself. I have been trying to do that since CdA and feel I could see some improvements here (and will hopefully continue to see improvements).
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

I heard our support crew cheering from the side of the transition area. Jeff (who was doing his first HIM) was racked right near me (he started in the wave in front of me). He was at his bike when I ran by and I knew he had a great swim which was awesome to see. I sat to put my socks/shoes/helmet on so I could pee before getting on the bike. Quick re-lube of chamois butter. I didn't wear gloves, but slid my arm coolers on my wrists (already rolled up) and would work them up as I got up to speed.

Nothing. Good T1 for me. Even with sitting. :)
Bike
  • 3h 24m 44s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.44 mile/hr
Comments:

Goal was to ride 80%. I knew the first 14 miles or so are net uphill and just told myself to be patient and ride at 80%. Cortina passed me on the first climb and I just put it in my easiest gear and spun up. It's interesting to ride with a constant focus on power numbers. To a certain extent, it makes the time go fast because I am focused on riding consistently. On the other hand, it could get a little maddening.

I started the ride with 2 bottles of Roctane and my aerobottle with water. I planned on eating 4 Chomps every 30 minutes and taking 2 salt tabs every hour. This plan worked for the entire ride and I felt like I had enough energy, but wasn't nauseous.

Around mile 17 or so, Heidi passed me and we exchanged our good lucks. I hit the half way point along Cayuga Lake and felt myself fading a bit. I was having some saddle discomfort and was trying to stay focused. I saw Lindsay Wholers out there who was supporting her hubby. Nice to see a familiar teammate/face. My power number started to drop here and I questioned whether or not I could hold 80% and still have a solid run. Sometimes, I think I hold back out of fear of what will happen. I told myself to trust the number, try my hardest to ride at 80% and see what happened.

We hit the downhill stretch which was a nice boost of speed before getting onto the bumpy road (that's no longer a road) for a few miles. It smoothed out and I knew I was within the final 10 miles or so of the ride. It was getting warm and I continued to drink Roctane and water and dump water on my head, back and arm coolers. Came into T2 with a slight headache (probably a mix of the sun, temperatures and needing more fluids).

Hydrate more on the bike. This is always a struggle for me. I don't know why I have to force myself to drink.

Also, trust my numbers and don't be afraid to go for it.
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Tried to move through T2 as quickly as possible. Vaselined my crevices before grabbing my hand held water bottle, putting my Chomps and salt tabs in my pocket and I was off.

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 34m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh, the run. By the time I started the run, it was probably mid-80s, sunny and still pretty humid. I saw our cheering squad right out of the transition area and they said Cortina was about 6 minutes in front of me. I tried to keep my pace easy (10'/mile or slower), but my legs didn't have much. I saw the lead racers coming in followed then by Henry, Tim and Brad. Was so nice to see them doing so well and heading for the finish line.

I started walking right before the pretty steep hill that snakes up to the stairs. My breathing was very labored, even when walking, and my heart rate felt high. Walking the stairs were exhausting and I was only at mile 3. Luckily at the top, I saw Laura Straub crushing it, knowing she had only a few miles left. Was a nice pick me up to see her doing so well.

I tried to tell myself to run the flats and downhills and walk the uphills, but even on no incline, my breathing was labored and it felt like I was breathing through a straw. At every aid station, I would dump ice down my top/sports bra, pour water on my head and arm coolers and carry some ice until the next aid station. Albeit slowly, the miles were ticking away. My breathing eventually got a tad more under control, but my legs were just toast. By this point, it was hot and sunny and I felt like I was moving as fast as I could. I tried to run what I could, but my body wasn't really cooperating.

I ate Chomps and took salt along the way. I wish the course had Gatorade or Perform (they only had Heed which I can't stomach). I was periodically drinking Coke, but they ran out. I hit the path along the lake and knew I didn't have much further. I could hear the finish line and then see it, with our crew on the sidelines cheering. I definitely happy to be across the finish line and done.

I'm not sure. I wasn't happy with my run, but after a few hours of post-race reflection, I realized I needed to cut myself some slack. I did an Ironman 3 weeks prior and it was a hot and sunny day (conditions that are really challenging for me).

Maybe I should have done the 8' run/2' walk interval that's worked for me in the past, but I think my body was just over it with the conditions.
Post race
Warm down:

I found Brad (and immediately told him I wasn't doing IM Texas) and signed up for a massage (which I never ended up getting. I grabbed some Red Jacket bottled juices as I could feel a migraine coming on. Cortina and I cleaned up our bikes/transition areas, changed, put stuff in the car and grabbed food and ice cream. We all stuck around for the awards to see Henry get 3rd overall, Tim get 3rd in his age group, Laura get 5th overall and Heidi get 3rd in her age group. So fantastic!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

3 weeks post IM and the heat/sun

Event comments:

This is a great non-WTC HIM. I really got the sense the race director is sincere in caring about each athlete and their experiences. We had done this race in 2009 and I knew we'd be back.

Pros:
Good course (despite the few miles of bumpy road)
Lots of aid stations
Good swag (shampoo, magnets, stickers, samples, flip flops)

Cons:
Athlete dinner was crowded and a tad unorganized and they ran out of some foods
They ran out of coke on the run course
Heed on course (nasty)
Color of the shirt is awful

Last updated: 2013-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:12 | 2112 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/51
Overall: 117/718
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless
Course: In Seneca Lake. Started in the water and swam straight for a few buoys. Made a left 90 degree turn and then another before entering the boating channel
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:24:44 | 56 miles | 16.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/51
Overall: 0/718
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Uphill for ~14 miles before some turns and then along Cayuga Lake. A few more turns to head toward Geneva with the last 10 or so miles on a mix of an old/bumpy road and a road through neighborhoods.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 76
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:34:35 | 13.1 miles | 11m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/51
Overall: 0/718
Performance: Below average
Course: Net uphill for the first 8 miles or so with some decent climbs. First and last 3 miles were along the path along the lake. The rest are through the streets and neighborhoods of Geneva.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-19 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Reston
Subject: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

2013-07-20 5:55 AM
in reply to: #4809021

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon
Nice job only three weeks after an IM, and great detailed report! Congratulations! I agree about the color of the shirts this year too, especially after the nice black ones last year and the bluish grey ones the two years before that.
2013-07-22 9:19 PM
in reply to: #4809021

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon
Great race, you had a plan and you stuck to it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by jazz82482
Views: 7294 Posts: 46

2009-03-23 1:51 AM doctorbob18

Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

Started by Jachlopecki
Views: 2037 Posts: 1

2008-07-14 2:56 PM Jachlopecki

Started by ds97a
Views: 2650 Posts: 1

2008-07-14 2:30 PM ds97a

Started by billsfan200474
Views: 2528 Posts: 1

2008-07-14 2:10 PM billsfan200474

Started by k_hase
Views: 2765 Posts: 7

2008-07-15 12:19 PM Mimir98
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : July 23, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
See the Musselman, Mini-Mussel, the ITU Race and the Mussel Kids race video feeds, race reports and pictures.
date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
Although you can receive all of your vitamins and minerals through foods eaten in the diet, nutritional products used for training may not allow you to meet recommendations on a daily basis.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.