General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you own a road bike for training & a tri bike for races? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-19 3:50 PM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: Do you own a road bike for training & a tri bike for races?
I am just getting started in triathlon training & I am still riding my converted mountain bike. I look around on the trails I ride on & see very few tri bikes, but a lot of road bikes. I know that tri bikes are taboo in group rides & difficult in congested areas, but I am the kind of person who likes to train the same way I would race.

It got me thinking...How many people own two completely separate bikes & do most of their training on a road bike & then train some on their race day tri bike? At a few grand a pop, I can't imagine this is a very affordable choice, but when I see so few tri bikes out there, it makes me wonder.

2013-07-19 4:00 PM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Subject: RE: Do you own a road bike for training & a tri bike for races?
I do:

Specialized SHIV
Litespeed C3 aero
Specialized Stumpjumper HT 29er

I ride the Litespeed and will soon be riding the SHIV (just got it last weekend, build is almost complete)... but I also ride road races here and there... I find that there are certain types of riding that are really not convenient to do with a tri bike... such as practicing sprints or standing hill repeats, certain technical riding. Tri bikes are just too gangly to do that stuff on. Further, I find that riding a road vs. tri bike puts a little bit different stress on the muscles in certain areas... you stress out more of the psoas and hip flexor muscles in aero position than on the road bike, but on the road you can hit higher watt numbers for hill repeats, as well as stressing the muscle differently... it works for me... Also, I find that I get stronger on the road bike sitting up on the hoods, fighting the wind, instead of trying to hide from it. The mountain bike I just picked up... have never owned one before... I forgot what an all over body workout it can give you, like when you motocross, using core muscles to maintain balance and flexibility, and leg speed.
2013-07-19 4:00 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I own 4 bikes including two road bikes (one is a touring bike) and ride them all at viarous times for various reasons. I put the most miles on my tri bike (train like you race like you said), but I don't do groups rides.
2013-07-19 4:02 PM
in reply to: tomspharmacy

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
I primarily ride my road bike, race on my tri bike. Lots of my riding is done with my friends, so that is hard on a tri bike. About a month or so out (maybe longer for longer races), I'll train on my own on my tri bike to remember the feel of it.
2013-07-19 4:08 PM

User image

I own both a road bike and tri bike.  I do have a specific purpose for both as I do tris, time trials, and also do road racing where a road bike is required.

I primarily train on my road bike.  I try to do as much group riding as possible and will sometimes commute to work.  Even if I am training solo, I still prefer my road bike as I usually tend to seek out some hills and IMO, riding a road bike is just more fun.

You're going to get opinions on both sides...especially on a triathlete website where you're going to see more people that only own a tri bike.  The key question to ask yourself is "why do you ride?"  Then go from there.

2013-07-19 4:14 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by Jason N
You're going to get opinions on both sides...especially on a triathlete website where you're going to see more people that only own a tri bike.

That's what I am hoping for. I am not biased one way or the other as I don't own either yet. I am just trying to get an idea/feel for the majority since I am so new. I know the easy answer is "get a road bike with clip on aero bars", and that may be what I end up doing, but I wanted to see how many folks own multiple bikes rather than frankensteining their one bike.

2013-07-19 4:16 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Meathead

I am just getting started in triathlon training & I am still riding my converted mountain bike. I look around on the trails I ride on & see very few tri bikes, but a lot of road bikes. I know that tri bikes are taboo in group rides & difficult in congested areas, but I am the kind of person who likes to train the same way I would race.

It got me thinking...How many people own two completely separate bikes & do most of their training on a road bike & then train some on their race day tri bike? At a few grand a pop, I can't imagine this is a very affordable choice, but when I see so few tri bikes out there, it makes me wonder.

I own a Tri-bike which i use on mostly level elevation rides and Tri's. If majority of the course is hilly I use my roadbike even on Tri's.
I strongly suggest use your mountain bike just to see of you like Tri's. When finish your first Tri then reward yourself with your first Tri-bike.

Goodluck Man!!!!
2013-07-19 4:29 PM

User image

Phoenix AZ
i own a road bike and a triathlon/tt bike.

i do the majority of my riding on the road bike. but i'll ride the tt bike to train for upcoming triathlons and time trials.

if i had to choose just one, i would obviously keep the road bike. much more versatile. i only own both because i got a great deal on an entry-level triathlon bike. the road bike is where i splurged.

2013-07-19 4:32 PM
in reply to: Bunsbert Montcroff

Regular
Corona
Originally posted by Bunsbert Montcroff

i own a road bike and a triathlon/tt bike.

i do the majority of my riding on the road bike. but i'll ride the tt bike to train for upcoming triathlons and time trials.

if i had to choose just one, i would obviously keep the road bike. much more versatile. i only own both because i got a great deal on an entry-level triathlon bike. the road bike is where i splurged.

Word.

2013-07-19 4:59 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
bikes, my favorite topic.

I have a roadie, and tri...and 29er mtb.

If I could get it all done on my 29er, that would be fine with me, but alas I can't and so I must have more bikes!

next fav is the roadie, and typically ride it when not close to any tri events.

then as the tri approaches, I will train on the TT bike.
I do believe the geometry affects the muscles, and focus training on the gear I will race on.

initially I did get the tri bike first, then added the roadie
2013-07-19 4:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
dp

Edited by metafizx 2013-07-19 4:59 PM

2013-07-19 5:30 PM

I own 2 also... A cyclocross, and a road bike.
I do most of my training on gravel roads with my cyclocross.
But on race day I throw some aero bars on my roadie and it feels like you're flying on the pavement.
2013-07-19 5:32 PM

User image

Master
Do you own a road bike for training & a tri bike for races? YES
2013-07-19 6:45 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by Meathead

The fact that you're looking on bike trails might be relevant.

I own a road bike and a tri bike (and a commuter bike - weighs a ton). I mostly ride the road bike, move to the tri bike in the build up to races. But I would never train on my tri bike on a mixed-use trail. Far too dangerous. The bike is fast, the visibility and handling is poorer, and the trail users are more unpredictable (and mostly plugged into iPods etc.). I mostly train indoors, but if I ride the tri bike outdoors, I'll find a quiet road circuit where I can rely on nice wide margins.
2013-07-19 7:04 PM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Minneapolis, MN
I only own a tri bike. For group rides I stay on the brakes unless I am pulling.

I also ride in aero 99% of the time when I am solo. I hear of others talking about not being able to stay in aero. I pass people in races all the time that are more powerful than me but do t stay down on the aerobars nearly as much as me.

I feel it is important to train on what you race on.

Sure there are uses and values for a road bike and/or owning both. Personally I prefer a tri bike.
2013-07-19 7:13 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Both. Road bike for group rides and a lot of off season stuff, tri bike for solo, race specific stuff. Cruiser bike for beers at the bar.

2013-07-19 7:15 PM

User image

Expert

I origionally purchased a road bike. Now I regret that. I pretty much like to train alone and do all of it on my tri-bike. My nice roadie just sits in the garage. 

My husband owns a road bike. It's perfect for him because he is very social and loves to go on group bike rides. 

If you are more of a solo person, I'd vote on getting the best fitted tri-bike possible and eventually bling it.

If you decide you want a roadie in the future, they are much easier to buy used on Craigslist. 

Edited by KateTri1 2013-07-19 7:18 PM
2013-07-19 7:17 PM

User image

Expert
dp

Edited by KateTri1 2013-07-19 7:17 PM
2013-07-19 8:39 PM
in reply to: KateTri1

I have a road (Blue AC1 SL) and tri (Argon 18 E-112). Love to ride both depending on situations that have all been listed above.
2013-07-19 8:44 PM

Veteran
i'm in almost the same spot you're in. looking for a new bike, first one is a road. now i want to get into tri's, but main thing is i train alone 99% of the time. however i like hills. cant decide between a cervelo s2 and p2. you could get a tri bike and put road bars on it, crissie wellington did it. even pics of it on the web. you would just have to be able to change over the bars/brifters yourself. could see it being a pain to take to the shop all the time and get expensive.

Edited by brash69 2013-07-19 8:46 PM
2013-07-19 8:44 PM

Veteran
dp

Edited by brash69 2013-07-19 8:47 PM

2013-07-19 9:00 PM
in reply to: brash69

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I bought the road bike used three years ago to start racing and the tri bike I got as a gift over xmas this year. I primarily use my road bike indoors on the trainer and my tri bike for longer rides and racing. I like both and plan on keeping two bikes for as long as I can.
2013-07-19 9:20 PM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

X2

I did all the research I guess most do, talked to guys at LBS and went the roadie. . I was pretty sure I was only going to ride to train/race and not do group rides and such. Fast forward 5 years and I have never done a group ride and pretty much ride solo. The only time I go out with someone they also are training for a tri. I don't dislike my road bike but do regret not going with what my gut felt and just getting a tri bike. Now I am In the market for a tri bike and the only thing holding me back is I just can't justify two bikes. Well that's not totally true but its still holding me back. Dam kids college funds.
My only advice is as someone else said use whatever you got for first race or two and then decide. Then again what do I know, I'm going to test out another bike next week. Bike shopping is fun so good luck, enjoy!
2013-07-19 9:47 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I had a MTB that I bought for dinking around.
Decided to buy a "real bike"...bought a tri bike. Figured, even if I hated tris, I had no desire to ride with groups, so it didn't matter.
For 3-4 years, that was my only bike (aside from MTB).
Didn't hate multisport. Still had no desire to ride with people. Bought road bike.
Bought lots of other bikes.

So, I have more bikes than I need. I don't ride with other people. I just like bikes. And I have a short attention span. My tri bike lives on the trainer. Outdoors, I ride either my cx bike, my road bikes, or the MTBs.
2013-07-19 10:45 PM
in reply to: tomspharmacy

Extreme Veteran
yep, just picked up a 29r myself and did a xterra.. what a blast but man what a different workout!
I mix it up between the tri and road depending on what i'm doing, solo will be tri or if it's a tri group then tri. normal group ride, roadie. MTB, for fun and with my son on the trails.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you own a road bike for training & a tri bike for races? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Who owns both a Tri and a Road bike Pages: 1 2 3

Started by dbrawders
Views: 2704 Posts: 53

2009-08-07 9:12 PM dbrawders

Train on road bike, race with a tri bike

Started by drtrouta
Views: 2201 Posts: 20

2009-01-27 10:19 PM agarose2000

To train on road bike or tri bike

Started by bartturner
Views: 2825 Posts: 18

2008-10-15 3:25 PM Daremo

Road bike or Tri bike for hilly race

Started by rzzqb8
Views: 1034 Posts: 4

2008-08-07 9:54 AM Ace5880

tri bike vs road bike for HIM and IM races

Started by smhammond
Views: 1102 Posts: 7

2008-02-15 2:33 AM RDub in Kona
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : February 3, 2009
On my road bike after 45 minutes, I develop pain between my shoulder blades. It still persists unless I am on my tri bike.
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.