General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Out of Towner looking for Running Miles! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-21 8:09 PM

User image

Elite
Utah
Subject: Out of Towner looking for Running Miles!
Hi there neighbors!

Coming into town this week and I need to keep my run plan rolling forward.

Couple of quick questions...

DENVER METRO

I ran Cherry Creek State Park last year, but can't remember, are there water fountains along any of the trails?

Was also thinking of catching Cherry Creek Trail south (need to get 13 miles in). Are there any water stations along the trails heading into Parker?

As well, there a good place to catch the trail short of parking at 24HR and running across Parker Rd? (which is what I did last time)

GLENWOOD SPRINGS

Is the rest stop the only possibility for water on that trail? (no I don't want to drink the Colorado ). Worst case scenario I will just run 2 out and back's from the to refuel. (it's a 17 mile day)
Also, anyone know what the lighting is like on that trail? I need to get started by 6am, but I imagine w/ the canyon and the highway above, there may not be a lot of natural light at that time of the morning.

THANKS!!
-Heather

2013-07-21 10:28 PM
in reply to: geauxtri

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Subject: RE: Out of Towner looking for Running Miles!
Hey Heather!
There aren't drinking fountains on the CCSP trails, though there are rest areas throughout the park that have them. So if you plan your loop according to where those are (should be on the park map) you'll probably be OK. South into Parker I think you're at the mercy of the local parks along the route, but having only rolled through on bike I cant recall much.

Should be enough daylight in Glenwood Canyon on the trail, but wear bright clothes FBO any serious cyclists out there; the sections under the highway are lighted, I don't think you'd need a headlamp but go with your comfort (might want to bring a camera) . We camped at No Name on the 4th(3 miles East of the Hot Springs), its ~13 miles from the campground to the east end and there are 3 (maybe 4?) rest areas along the route, so you should be ok there.
Another run option while in Glenwood is to go to the Rio Grand trail-head in Carbondale and go south along the Roaring Fork, in case you have more than one run planned while you're there.
Have a great trip
2013-07-23 8:35 AM
in reply to: StMaas

User image

Elite
Utah
THANKS STEVE!

I suppose at Cherry Creek I can just run in circles until I hit my mileage.

I thought about the Rio Grande (I think there's even a trail that runs from Glennwood to Carbondale, my sister used to commute in on it) but I had a few worries, like running uphill as I head south and population on the trail both 2 and 4 legged of nature. lol Suppose I should run w/ my pepper spray irregardless.

I checked it out, and our hotel is just a few blocks from the trail head, so I think I'll stick to the Co River Trail and just stage some refills in the car (and pray that my husband doesn't leave with the kids before I finish.)
2013-07-23 5:00 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

At cherry creek, if you park on the west side at Cherry Creek High School, you enter the part at the South West Entrance.  Then if you run around to the North West side and back you will have 12 miles on road, probably 13 on the trail (never done that, only ridden on road).  See pictures.

?

2013-07-23 5:03 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

At cherry creek, if you park on the west side at Cherry Creek High School, you enter the part at the South West Entrance.  Then if you run around to the North West side and back you will have 12 miles on road, probably 13 on the trail (never done that, only ridden on road).  See pictures.

?

(CCPark1.jpg)

(CCPark2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
CCPark1.jpg (90KB - 29 downloads)
CCPark2.jpg (87KB - 26 downloads)
2013-07-29 7:45 PM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Elite
Utah
AWESOME! THank you so much for the maps! Sorry, I didn't get them earlier, but I will save them (as that I'm out here occasionally).
I had an awesome run for a few miles last Thur, but was so tired from Kiss Me Dirty set up and tear down that I slept in and hung out w/ my kiddo's this morning. I think tomorrow I will either head out to Cherry Creek or just hit Tower and run to Powerline Trail, maybe run up Buckley to Mexico (dreading those rollers).

2013-08-07 11:22 AM

User image

if you come out again before mid september let me know.
I live 2 miles from a walk/cycle entrance and you could park at my house and run with me into the reservoir that way.
There are lots of trails out there but i've gotten lost myself as well.. No water really.. i think i saw a fountain once but it was shut off..
i am planning 10 today and will cross parker road at one section coming out and hit the gas station if i need more water then i'm gonna carry.
i ran from the east side which starts 2 miles from my house, all the way to the marina.. and only had 1 bottle of water and it was hot.. bad idea.. had a few bucks and got water/popcycle there.. then got lost, finally made it back to the gas station on parker and ate 2 salt packets because i was so light headed..
so make sure you carry water/salt, because not really any out there..
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Out of Towner looking for Running Miles! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

5 mile run on Saturday

Started by peto_primo
Views: 1569 Posts: 5

2011-02-14 12:19 PM peto_primo

Looking for Running Store

Started by jdbadger
Views: 1842 Posts: 17

2009-11-17 3:15 PM tissuedigester

Boulder Track Work Outs

Started by matthewboin
Views: 1817 Posts: 8

2009-11-15 4:30 PM sublimekid27

The Dick Dime Challenge:Turquoise Lake 20 Mile Showshoe Run 1/5/08

Started by DickDime
Views: 923 Posts: 3

2008-01-04 9:12 AM DickDime

Good place for a 20+ mile run

Started by MikeColorado
Views: 1054 Posts: 11

2007-04-14 7:48 PM MikeColorado
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
How do I know if my cleats need to be adjusted? And how do you know in which direction to adjust them? I have been having medial knee pain and edema but my LBS says the cleat placement is fine.

date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.
date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout