General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie in Madison area Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-21 8:16 PM

Subject: Newbie in Madison area

Hello my fellow Sconnies!  I am SO new to triathlons that I haven't ever done one, OR even run a short 5k race  I am a nursing student at UW-Madison, and trying to lose some weight...I love to swim and bike for fun (have always hated running), so I thought I'd set a goal for myself to do a sprint triathlon next summer.  I am currently doing a 5k training program, which is going about as well as I could hope.  I'm just wondering where people in the Madison area like to swim for training...I'm not sure if there are some lakes which I should absolutely stay out of and other places that are OK.  Any other tips or advice would be appreciated as well

Thanks!

2013-07-21 10:33 PM
in reply to: hrmueller

New user

Madison, WI
Subject: RE: Newbie in Madison area
H-

I am new to tri, too. Started training a little last Fall. Got more serious this spring. Shooting for a sprint in September. I swim mostly at Gold's Gym in Fitchburg but do some open water swimming from my pontoon on Lake Mendota (with my wife trying not to run me down). I'd like to hear where folks go for decent beach swimming. Is there a 'marked' course anywhere? An acquaintance used to train in Lake Wingra I think, but I don't know nything about it.

Jeff
2013-07-22 9:00 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Hello, and WELCOME, newbies!
There are a few Madisonian BT members that hopefully can pipe in and add their input since I'm a little outside of MadTown, but do work in the downtown area.
Unless you swim with a buddy, I wouldn't venture into the water myself. Blue-green algae is horrific in the summer for lake swimming, but, people do swim in the lakes at times.
Governor Nelson's State Park has a roped area that you can swim from the dock out for a 100 yards or so, which is okay.
I have a membership at PAC (Prairie Athletic Club in Sun Prairie) which has a 25 yard lap pool.
Knowing that you are at UW Madison, you do have the SERF (next to the Kohl Center) to swim. It is a 50 meter pool but they seperate it for 25 meters during the winter (8 lanes split to make 16, and another 20 yard short pool). Well worth it, but you will need to get the calendar for open lap swimming schedules.
2013-07-22 11:25 AM

I'm pretty new to triathlon also. Capitol View this year was my second. I joined the Endurance House training program for short course triathlons (Spring and Olympic). There are lots of places around here to find running groups if you think that will help you get motivated. Endurance House (both locations) do weekly runs so does Movin' Shoes (Park St) and Berkeley (University).

Consistency is going to be key. Since CapView I haven't ran much and I'm really regretting it right now as I try to rebuild my endurance.

If you ever need anything most of these forums are very helpful.

Best of luck!
-J
2013-08-06 11:50 AM

I concur going to the SERF for free. Otherwise, since you'll likely be on the west side of campus frequently for nursing, the Natitorium has swimming as well. I swim at the Y, and work out there in the winters too. You really won't need to worry about swimming outside until it warms up again next year.

For outdoor swimming, I usually swim at Lake Wingra, just becuase it is two miles from my house. In the middle and ent of summer, it can get pretty weedy, but on the plus side it is a no-wake lake, you won't have to be worried about getting hit by a speedboat...only a high-speed paddleboard or kayak. I've swam in Waubesa in the spring and that is very nice...shallow and sandy on the west side of the lake, but there is boating and fishing traffic. Firemen's Park in Verona is also very popular because it is right on the Ironman bike course. It very small (approximately 200x500 yards), and during the summer, you can swim outside of the ropes when lifegaurds are present (12-7 I think).

Hope that gives you some options.

Have fun!
-Peter
2013-08-06 3:27 PM
in reply to: pnelson

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I never recommend swimming alone, but if you want an easy place to OWS, I would try the quarry in Verona.  YOu can swim outside of the ropes when the lifeguards are not on duty.  Water quality is ok although the water is pretty warm these days.

Plenty of opportunities to train with others, Fleet Feet (Old Sauk Road) has a Multi Sports group that I am part of and it has all levels of participants, newbies to IM.  Look them up!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie in Madison area Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Madison Area People!

Started by possum
Views: 711 Posts: 1

2006-09-15 9:59 AM possum

Madison area source for stuff

Started by DeannaS
Views: 955 Posts: 5

2006-05-16 3:16 PM DeannaS

MADISON AREA WOMEN! Tonight 4/18

Started by possum
Views: 1065 Posts: 9

2006-04-18 11:14 PM jszat

Madison area peeps

Started by possum
Views: 825 Posts: 1

2006-03-27 3:21 PM possum

Outdoor Swim Group in Madison Area

Started by BadgerIronMan
Views: 1431 Posts: 21

2006-05-10 8:40 PM BadgerIronMan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : March 30, 2011
author : mikeinlaguna
comments : 6
I was in the moment, living a dream and on top of the whole world! Honestly, I wish everyone could experience that feeling because it truly cannot be described.
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.
date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!