General Discussion Race Reports! » Heart of the Lakes Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Heart of the Lakes Triathlon - Short Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Annandale, Minnesota
United States
Heart of the Lakes Triathlon
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 347/426
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 26/34
Pre-race routine:

Same as always, set up, get body marked, and wait in the long port-a-potty line.
Event warmup:

Just a quick out and back swim. Not much.

Note: When I refer to the last time I raced here, I mean 2011, not 2012. In 2012, My sister had two flats on the bike that I stopped to help her with. That caused skewed results, so I'm comparing the previous year instead.
Swim
  • 09m 15s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a truly enjoyable swim. I honestly can't remember better swim conditions in a race, for me. It was overcast, so sun was not an issue. The water was 80 degrees, which was awesome, and the air was cooler with lower humidity, so NO GOGGLE FOGGING. Yay!

No wet suit. Just ran in, drafted well at the beginning, and just stayed out of the fray the rest of the way. Felt really good, especially given that I've been in the pool about 4 times this summer.
What would you do differently?:

I probably could have stayed a bit closer to the buoys on the way out, but other than that, not much. I'm pretty happy with 3rd in my AG.
Transition 1
  • 03m 7s
Comments:

Meh. This was ok, as usual. I actually ran from the beach to T1, where I usually don't on this course. My previous T1 time was 3:30, so it made a little difference.

Well, run faster, but you know...not my strong suit.
Bike
  • 32m 15s
  • 9 miles
  • 16.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent bike ride. Nothing stupendous, but not terrible. Although 16.8 is pretty fast for me, this is a fast course, so really it's not that great, as shown by the 27/34 AG rank.

I figured out in the first couple miles, though, that one of my gear shifters was not working. I couldn't shift to the small chain ring, so I was in the big ring the whole time. It was fine because there aren't really any big hills on this course, but there were a couple of times that I might have switched if I could.

(Yesterday when testing out a minor chain fix, I fell just as I was getting back to the garage. (P.S. Those new cleats work like a champ! :-P) I was too busy tending to some scrapes and the massive bruise on my butt to really make sure the bike was ok then. And I didn't warm up on it today, so I didn't even know it was broken until I was out on the bike course. Such an amateur. lol)

Well, actually test my bike after falling on it, for one thing. And train more, which always goes without saying.

This is exactly the same avg pace as my last race. The overall times are only 3 seconds different. Consistency is where it's at.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Nothing to see here, move along... Again with the consistency. Last time was 2:03, this time was 2:04.

I should use speed laces. Same song, different day
Run
  • 30m 32s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 12m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, in a slight change of pace (heh...punny!) I actually was slightly less glacial for this run than last time. Although 12:12/mile is still very slow, it's better than the 14:08 average from two years ago. I know I was doing a lot of walking with my sister in that race, but I don't think I wouldn't have run much more than that even if she hadn't been with me. I actually remember being glad she was there to use as an excuse for walking. :-/

So, I ran a lot more this time than either of the last couple of years, and I think I may have actually passed a couple people. The weather was SO. MUCH. better (cooler and less humid) than year than the last two, that I'm sure that helped.

Push myself more when I stopped and walked. There were a couple times when I probably could have kept going, but I'd say "It's an uphill, it's ok to walk..." I'd think about it and then start running again shortly, but I really shouldn't have walked at all.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Again, nothing new here... training and weight.

Event comments:

As always, this is a great race and venue. Despite still being undertrained and slower than molasses, I was actually fairly pleased with this race. I cut about 5 minutes from two years ago, so hey, I'll take it.

Last updated: 2013-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:15 | 440 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/34
Overall: 132/426
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: rectangle course--out, across, and then back in
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:32:15 | 09 miles | 16.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/34
Overall: 344/426
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:30:32 | 02.5 miles | 12m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/34
Overall: 393/426
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-22 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Heart of the Lakes Triathlon - Short Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heart of the Lakes Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Heart of the Lakes Triathlon - Short Course

Started by 312in10
Views: 873 Posts: 1

2012-07-28 8:25 PM 312in10

Started by kelpeng
Views: 1434 Posts: 3

2012-07-16 1:00 PM kelpeng

Started by 312in10
Views: 872 Posts: 1

2011-07-19 9:14 PM 312in10

Heart of the Lakes Triathlon - Long Course

Started by jarheadjred
Views: 1667 Posts: 6

2011-07-22 10:10 AM BikerGrrrl

Heart of the Lakes Triathlon - Long Course

Started by shaunjamison
Views: 1481 Posts: 3

2011-09-15 2:04 PM shaunjamison
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.
date : November 4, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Will sustained exercise at or near maximum heart rate increase the risk of heart damage, or heart failure. Is the cardiac muscle also subject to strain and damage as other muscles?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 2, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
From triple bypass to triathlon. I am now just two days away from the Pacific Crest Half-Ironman.