General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hamilton Township, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 44m 2s
Overall Rank = 534/1069
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 17/43
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:15am, ate PB on an english muffin and a banana, and drank soy milk and coffee. Out the door at 6am and got to the park around 6:30am. Parking was quick and easy and we headed over to the transition area, where I found that the section of racks I was assigned to (by number) was almost completely full already. Managed to slide in and get everything set up quickly, then did the porta potty thing and walked over to the swim start area. Travis and my parents found me soon thereafter. Listened to the pre-race meeting, ate a Honey Stinger gel and drank some water, hit the porta potty one last time, and soon it was time for my wave to start at 7:55.
Event warmup:

Treaded water while waiting for my wave to start. After several exhausting days in a row, I needed to conserve what little energy I had left!
Swim
  • 30m 29s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water was SO WARM. Yuck. Placed myself about 2 or 3 people in right near the inside buoy. Got off to a strong start without a lot of carnage, and within about 200M had plenty of open water to myself. Got on a girl's feet for another several hundred meters but lost them around one of the buoys when we caught some of the guys from the back of the wave ahead of us. The rest of the swim was largely uneventful - I was always within 2 feet of all the buoys and within a foot of the turn buoys. Was a little difficult to get into a comfortable breathing/HR zone, but I was able to manage. Frankly, after the first several hundred meters I just wanted OUT of that hot water. Came up on the same girl's feet again with about 300M to go, so I decided to stay behind her until the last 100M, when I really kicked it in hard.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Very satisfied with this, considering my lack of hard/structured swim training, my residual fatigue, and the hot water.
Transition 1
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

Includes a long haul (probably at least 1/4 mile) from the transition area up a hilly grass path to the mount line on the road. Ran up from the lake to my rack, put on my socks, shoes, sunglasses, and helmet, wiped my face off, grabbed the package of Honey Stinger chews I had already opened, and I was off.

T1 rank 355/1069 overall, so it was good enough for me.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 13s
  • 22.5 miles
  • 18.44 mile/hr
Comments:

Spun easy for the first mile to get my legs warmed up, then rode at a just harder than comfortable pace for most of the rest of the ride. Legs were tired for the first several miles but loosened up and felt good thereafter. Really enjoyed most of the course and ride in general, though by about mile 20 I was DONE sitting on the saddle in tri shorts. Drank 24 oz of water and ate the package of Honey Stinger chews at around 35 minutes in. Was passed a lot (mostly by men) but also passed some other people too.

I was pleased with this. I never really train "enough" on the bike, but over the past 2 months I've definitely put in more 20+ mile rides than I have before other olys. If I rode a lot more and had a tri bike and/or race wheels, I could probably get closer to a 20mph average (on a flat course like this anyway).
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Racked my bike, switched shoes, grabbed the Gu Roctane gel, my race number belt and visor, and ran out of there. Put the # belt and visor on as I ran out of transition.

T2 rank 272/1069 overall and 9th in my AG, so I was moving pretty quickly.
Run
  • 55m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m  min/mile
Comments:

So. Hot. So. Tired. Naturally, the sun decided to come out just as I started the run, and the temperature jumped up at least 8 degrees, without any break in the humidity. Honestly, the first mile felt ok once I shook out the brick feeling. Looked at the time on my watch at the first mile markers and thought, "oops! Probably too fast." Ate my Gu Roctane gel just before the first water stop (~ 1.25 miles in). Second mile felt a bit tougher but I was still hanging in and maintained a still very respectable pace. Kept trying to calm down my breathing rate and HR, both of which seemed to remain higher than comfortable. The course looped back by the transition area before beginning the next out-and-back, so I saw my parents and Travis. Their cheering gave me a little boost. As I ran by, I said, "This was fun until the run!" A little after mile 3 the wheels really started to fall off - legs just felt like they had no juice left, and I was alternating between feeling like I was overheating when in the sun and getting a tingly sensation (almost like chills but not quite) when in the shade, especially if a small breeze came. I thought, "Well, here's the fatigue I've been anticipating as a result of all the craziness and lack of sleep the last few days!" I had been drinking water at each of the water stops thus far but decided to start taking small sips of Heed too, as I feared my electrolytes may have been too low despite the gels (should've put Endurolytes in my water bottle or taken the capsules while on the bike). I don't particularly like the taste of Heed but used to drink it while training in CO so I knew I'd tolerate it just fine. The cold washcloths they handed out at the water stop just before mile 5 felt WONDERFUL. Wiped my face and neck down. From then until the 6 mile marker my goal was to just hang on and not blow up. Just before the 6 mile marker I managed to pass another girl from my age group, so my goal thereafter was to keep pushing hard so she wouldn't pass me again (small victories are big when you feel like crap! haha), and hope I wouldn't collapse or throw up at the finish line. Managed to kick it in strong without either of those happening (albeit barely for the latter). SO relieved to be done!

Mile splits: 8:24, 8:38, 9:02, 9:05, 9:40, 9:14, 1:31 (last 0.2)

Other than trying to get in more electrolytes earlier on (which may or may not have made a difference), this was probably all I would have had today anyway given all the activity of the last few days. Frankly, I'm amazed I made it that far into the race before I ran out of gas.
Post race
Warm down:

Kept walking for a while past the finish line until I hit some shade. My parents and Travis met me there and then we walked around the expo for a bit. Ate most of a Philly soft pretzel, slice of watermelon, and yogurt and drank a ton of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, humidity, and the fact that my brother's wedding was only 2 days prior! I knew I was a bit crazy for even attempting an oly 2 days after that but the timing was otherwise too perfect, since I was already in NJ. My parents haven't been able to see me race a tri since 2008, so they really enjoyed being there too.

Only complaint about this race was that the bike course unfortunately was 2.3 miles short (of the usual oly distance) due to road construction. So while this is a PR, it's not a "true" PR. Still, given my pace on the bike, the extra 2.3 miles probably would've only added about 6 minutes to my time, so it would still have been a huge PR (previous oly PR was 3:02). Largely thanks to a much flatter course than any of my previous olys.

Event comments:

Great race, as expected. CGI puts on very well organized, well thought-out races. Never any doubt as to the correct direction to go on the bike or run courses - plenty of signage, volunteers, and police support. Was also impressed by the buoys on the swim course that were marked every 100M - I've never seen that before at any other race.

Last updated: 2013-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:29 | 1500 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/43
Overall: 363/1069
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Big loop in the Mercer County Park lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 89F / 32C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:16
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:13 | 22.5 miles | 18.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/43
Overall: 757/1069
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops around mostly flat country roads. 2.3 miles shorter than the usual oly distance due to road construction.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:55:35 | 06.21 miles | 09m  min/mile
Age Group: 17/43
Overall: 538/1069
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 out-and-back sections within the park. Mostly on shaded trails with a few unfortunate wide open sunny spots. Mostly flat.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-22 10:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course

2013-07-22 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4810605

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course
Awesome job in the insanity of the week leading up to race day & in that heat!!  Well paced!
2013-07-23 5:11 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Woohoo!  Fabulous job!  I wish I could get back up there at some point to race this...good excuse to go home. :D
2013-07-23 10:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Great job! Awesome RR. The run sounded miserable, but you def had a great PR.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by cruzanvi
Views: 1315 Posts: 1

2013-07-22 9:28 AM cruzanvi

Started by mnbrickx
Views: 1031 Posts: 1

2013-07-22 7:59 AM mnbrickx

Started by stevepiv
Views: 1021 Posts: 1

2013-07-21 1:57 PM stevepiv

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by stevepiv
Views: 1295 Posts: 1

2013-07-20 1:30 PM stevepiv

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Hesketh
Views: 947 Posts: 1

2012-09-17 10:15 AM Hesketh
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
comments : 0
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.