General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Waking up to body pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-22 10:37 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Waking up to body pain
Hi folks,

Not sure if this is just an iron distance training thing or maybe an age thing (currently in mid-30s) but I'm waking up to considerable body pain every morning. Not sure if pain is the right term but it just feels like a morning after a race day, every morning. My whole body aches but is mostly concentrated on the upper body, back shoulders area. Strange thing though, it last for about 30-45 and then I'm just normal exhausted. I average about 5-6 hours of sleep which can't be good. I can't seem to go any longer than 6 hours but my body doesn't feel any different on the off chance I get to sleep for 7-8 hours.

I can manage to get a workout in the mornings about 3-4x a week - mostly cycling. But if I even think about a morning run, my legs involuntarily seem to lock in place. I've tried to force runs in the morning but my running legs are never ready before 10am.

I'm training for IMAZ on November 17 but I can't imagine going through the next 16 weeks with mornings like this. Any recovery tips? Maybe a change in diet? I trained for IM St. George on its last full year as a 140.6 in 2012 but don't recall the constant aches and pains I'm feeling this year.

Thanks in advance!

2013-07-22 12:28 PM
in reply to: nrodrigo

New user
Boulder, CO
Subject: RE: Waking up to body pain
Have you always gotten such little sleep? You may want to look at your diet and cut out caffeine after noon or all together. The body needs many nights of good sleep to recover from sleep depravation. So even if you did get one 8 hour sleep it is not that strange that you felt the same when you woke. Another option to get in 8 hours of sleep is a mid day nap to fill in the hour or two you missed at night.
2013-07-22 2:13 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

1-I would try to get more sleep

2-Go see your doc and be sure there is nothing more serious going on esp as you trained for IMSG in the past and this did not happen. 

2013-08-04 8:27 PM

User image

New user

Thanks for the tips folks. Eventually, I knew my body would force itself to get more rest so I ended up getting sick last week and getting lots of good sleep. I also spoke to a friend that also happens to be a tri-coach. She mentioned that a big factor may have been the extreme humidity that we've been experiencing in Las Vegas over the past 4-5 weeks (...extreme for Vegas anyway). The weather has been odd to say the least but the clouds have allowed me to eek out a few more hours each week... at the cost of extreme morning body pain.

I will also be going in for my regular doctors checkup next week. But overall, I think I need to chalk most of it up to IM training and being a little older. If training for 140.6 was easy, everybody would be doing it.
2013-08-05 12:36 PM

User image

Regular
Did you take any real time off after IMStG.
I'm no doctor but it sounds like the body is trying to get you to rest, PROPERLY!!! and recover PROPERLY!!! more protien may help, Milk after every workout perhaps.
2013-08-05 1:24 PM

Regular
What do you do AFTER your bike and run workouts? If you do not cool-down properly and/or stretch, that might be the problem. Also, I always stop 1 mile into my run and lightly stretch my calves and hamstrings. That does wonders for the remainder of the run and how I feel the following day.

2013-08-07 2:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Aside from what's already been mentioned above....... I would add that several years ago in my mid-30's I started waking up just being stiff, sore and with general body aches. I went and bought one of the Select Comfort (Sleep Number) beds and within a week the issue was gone. We're still sleeping on the same bed years later and love it.
So, it wouldn't hurt to take a look at some quality beds of different varieties and see if it helps out....
2013-08-28 11:33 PM
in reply to: soretaint

User image

New user

@Maxwelltri

Good call. When I think about it, I really try to have a race or two on my schedule every 3-4 months apart. And even Ironman itself is a 24-week stretch for training. Adjusting my schedule to get more sleep has helped significantly however my recovery is just not that fast anymore. I will absolutely take your advice to heart and get some good ol' RnR after IMAZ.

@riltri

I try to cool down as much as I possibly can. Biking over summer in the Vegas heat with temps of 100 by 7am make for a really long cool down period. You may have hit the nail on the head though. IMSG was a May race. I trained through winter. IMAZ is in November and am now training through summer. That's the difference! Taking everyone's advice into account (more sleep, better recovery, more time for cool down, etc) basically points too - I just need to take better care of myself. Thanks!

@soretaint

Nice! Yes - sleep is one of those things that just don't always go so well. If I know I'll be dealing with six hours of sleep for some time, I better make it a damn good six hours.
2013-08-29 3:48 AM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by nrodrigo
sleep is one of those things that just don't always go so well. If I know I'll be dealing with six hours of sleep for some time, I better make it a damn good six hours.

is it insomnia ? or some other reason?

I take a natural sleep aid that works for me called Super Snooze by Sundown.

Dark is good and if light or noise are bothering you, definitely take steps to eliminate.

Sleep is vital to recovery.
2014-01-13 2:28 AM
in reply to: Lurch

Originally posted by Lurch

Have you always gotten such little sleep? You may want to look at your diet and cut out caffeine after noon or all together. The body needs many nights of good sleep to recover from sleep depravation. So even if you did get one 8 hour sleep it is not that strange that you felt the same when you woke. Another option to get in 8 hours of sleep is a mid day nap to fill in the hour or two you missed at night.

Proper sleep, proper diet and proper exercise are the top secrets to live a healthy lifestyle. When we talk about sleep, a happiness feeling comes in our mind but one should take at least 6 hours sleep daily.

my response
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Waking up to body pain Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Normal body glide vs womens body glide

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 5068 Posts: 5

2012-06-19 10:40 AM SEADOCHA

CdA meet-ups

Started by Tri Take Me Away
Views: 1740 Posts: 23

2008-06-20 7:55 PM SweetK

Wake up IM Wisconsinites!!!!!!!

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 1439 Posts: 10

2007-07-09 11:01 PM firstnet911

IMLP 2008 sign-ups

Started by JohnnyKay
Views: 1365 Posts: 6

2007-05-07 1:55 PM TimmyMay

IMCDA 2006 Sign ups

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 1260 Posts: 3

2005-08-16 9:48 PM PGoldberger
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 21, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!

date : March 23, 2011
comments : 0
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.
date : December 28, 2009
I have a very annoying pain under my knee cap. It does not hurt when I run or ride. It hurts a lot when I swim and when I walk up or down stairs. The pain is a searing pain. Help!

date : January 3, 2008
Hip or pelvic pain is a common complaint for runners and can range from severe problems, such as stress fractures or arthritis, to mild problems, such as muscle strains or bursitis.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Video on what body marking is all about during check-in.

date : June 5, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
When trying to understand what your body is telling you with a sensation of pain, it is helpful to be analytical. Pay close attention to the characteristics of the pain to help with diagnosis.
date : October 31, 2004
author : ewkfit
I may not have pre-pubescent hips or breasts and at 36 that would be ridiculous. I do not need to have an "airbrushed body" and why do I revere that?

date : October 10, 2004
author : FIN16
The human body can endure extreme physical hardships but a trained, confident mind can endure much more.