General Discussion Race Reports! » Jacksonville Sprint Triathlon Series #2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jacksonville Sprint Triathlon Series #2 - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fernandina Beach, Florida
United States
DRC Sports
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 4s
Overall Rank = 75/296
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

2 hour drive to race site
Event warmup:

little swim in the ocean
Swim
  • 08m 4s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started in the front and sprinted into the ocean when the horn went off. I started swimming when the water got to just above my waist. The fast swimmers were fast today! I can usually hang with the lead pack for the first 100 yards or so, but today I got dropped by the 50 yard point. No matter, the large amount of fellow green swim caps told me I was still in the main pack, which is always my ultimate goal in any swim. I felt great in the water and had a good, quick pace (for me) without gassing myself. Before I knew it I made the last turn buoy and headed back to shore. Unlike last month, my return to shore was smooth without incident. I emerged from the Atlantic Ocean and ran up the beach toward transition. Swim time includes run up the beach
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

the race director was not able to get the showers before transition turned on, so I had to put on my cycling shoes with sandy feet. Oh well, nothing I could do about that, and wasn't about to take the time to clean my feet. Besides, I wear my shoes sockless. Put on the hot pink aero helmet, grabbed my bike and headed to the bike mount line

Nothing
Bike
  • 46m 47s
  • 16 miles
  • 20.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Didn't luck out with the wind at my back the whole time like I did last month, but the wind wasn't that bad. I rode hard as usual, really focusing on my head position to get use out of the aero helmet. Even with all the recent long, slow, distance rides I still feel like I rode fairly fast. I need to put in more time on the fluid trainer, that much I know from this race. Once again the course was long, but every person racing had to deal with it so no big deal.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Racked the bike, exchanged the pink aero helmet for a running hat, flicked off the cycling shoes and slipped on the Zoots. Grabbed my race number belt and put it on while exiting transition

nothing
Run
  • 23m 3s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Just like last month, I can say the run is where the lack of speed work really shows. I was moving as quickly as I could and it hurt, and it was nowhere near what I know I have the ability to do. After the turn-a-round point I saw Liz heading to the turn-a-round and we exchanged a big high five. Left Fort Clinch State Park and made the last 2 turns to the finish line. Was relieved to see the finish line

Run faster
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with my husband, ate some food. Found out I placed 3rd so hung around for awards

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of speedwork

Event comments:

DRC sports puts on excellent races

Last updated: 2013-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:04 | 440 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/296
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: rectangle
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:59
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:47 | 16 miles | 20.53 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:03 | 03 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-22 6:11 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Subject: Jacksonville Sprint Triathlon Series #2
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jacksonville Sprint Triathlon Series #2 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jacksonville Sprint Triathlon Series #2

Started by autigers_1998
Views: 985 Posts: 1

2012-07-23 7:06 AM autigers_1998

Jacksonville Sprint Triathlon Series #2

Started by coastie82
Views: 690 Posts: 1

2012-07-22 2:10 PM coastie82

Jacksonville Sprint Triathlon Series #1

Started by coastie82
Views: 625 Posts: 1

2012-06-24 3:20 PM coastie82

Started by naiad
Views: 642 Posts: 1

2012-06-24 1:57 PM naiad

Started by jaxbamf73
Views: 1235 Posts: 2

2012-06-24 2:03 PM ropkins
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.