Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-29 3:26 PM
in reply to: dewybuck

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: Naked and Afraid
How much of it this is editing and production enhancing the girl power aspect of the show?

2013-07-29 3:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

They were in a Louisiana swamp.  Almost all underwater.  Only a very few patches of actual land that wasnt underwater.  Their first place got submerged when a storm rolled through.  Snakes everywhere, including many poisonous ones.  Gators galore in deeper areas.  Their feet got infected from little cuts and constantly being in the water.  Nighttime temps got down into the 50s.  With no clothes, that's brutal.

The guy lost 40 pounds in 3 weeks.

I did have to wonder about the woman in that group "finding" a cooking pot.  They brought a knife and a fire starter.  I have a guess that the producers helped her "find" the pot.  Not that they had much to put into it.  But I doubt they would have made it without that assistance.  The eposide was just brutal.

Speaking of weight loss, I find it interesting that the guys consistently lose much more weight than the women.  By about a factor of 2.  I suspect its a higher percentage of body weight too.  Anyone else notice this?

Edited by Ridgelake 2013-07-29 3:36 PM
2013-07-29 3:58 PM
in reply to: Slidell4life

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Originally posted by Slidell4life How much of it this is editing and production enhancing the girl power aspect of the show?

Could be some of that to it, but I hope there's more integrity to a Discovery channel series

2013-07-30 11:34 AM
in reply to: Ridgelake

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by Ridgelake

They were in a Louisiana swamp.  Almost all underwater.  Only a very few patches of actual land that wasnt underwater.  Their first place got submerged when a storm rolled through.  Snakes everywhere, including many poisonous ones.  Gators galore in deeper areas.  Their feet got infected from little cuts and constantly being in the water.  Nighttime temps got down into the 50s.  With no clothes, that's brutal.

The guy lost 40 pounds in 3 weeks.

I did have to wonder about the woman in that group "finding" a cooking pot.  They brought a knife and a fire starter.  I have a guess that the producers helped her "find" the pot.  Not that they had much to put into it.  But I doubt they would have made it without that assistance.  The eposide was just brutal.

Speaking of weight loss, I find it interesting that the guys consistently lose much more weight than the women.  By about a factor of 2.  I suspect its a higher percentage of body weight too.  Anyone else notice this?

Ha, finally caught this episode last night and thought of how I would post about the pot in COJ today but you beat me to it!

Yes, I think there HAS to be some creative editing.  I highly doubt a big network like this would sponsor a show that legitimately directs the participants to wade into gator infested waters if there wasn't some type of safety in place that the audience just doesn't see.

I have no doubts that this is a hardcore environment that is barely survivable for the 21 days but I think they are getting more help than the show lets on.  Even beyond the remarkable pot find Smile

2013-07-30 2:10 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

New user
Grew up in south Louisiana and spent a lot of time in the swamps as well as in my college days doing plant surveys in several low lying parishes. Surviving there would be easier than you think because there are a great deal of edible plants as well as animals. The lucky find pot may have been a "plant" but you would be amazed what I have found in the Louisiana fields including cooking utensils. Heck, I found a still in one time. I was surprised the didn't find a duck blind or deer stand to climb into, they are literally everywhere. As someone else has mentioned being naked and cooler temps make surviving a lot more difficult. All in all I thought it was a good show, those two were tougher than I first thought.
2013-07-30 3:06 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by NXS

Grew up in south Louisiana and spent a lot of time in the swamps as well as in my college days doing plant surveys in several low lying parishes. Surviving there would be easier than you think because there are a great deal of edible plants as well as animals. The lucky find pot may have been a "plant" but you would be amazed what I have found in the Louisiana fields including cooking utensils. Heck, I found a still in one time. I was surprised the didn't find a duck blind or deer stand to climb into, they are literally everywhere. As someone else has mentioned being naked and cooler temps make surviving a lot more difficult. All in all I thought it was a good show, those two were tougher than I first thought.

I grew up in SE Louisiana as well. Can you guess where?

2013-07-30 4:01 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Sooo.... I'm getting the impression that "Naked and Afraid" isn't a pseudonym for "Triathlon Dating Thread v4.0"

2013-07-30 4:40 PM

User image

Long Island, NY
I liked the show, but have to wonder about the found pot in the season final. I would not be surprised that they also told them to head in XX direction to find drier land (after the monsoon). I think they were very close to calling it quits.

One of the producers had his foot amputated because he was bitten by a venomous snake while scouting a location.

Finally, I read that in the episode that they ate the turtle (didn't see that one), the female contestant got very sick and was given food and IV, which was never shown.

Nevertheless, crazy show.

My wife were talking about trying to start a fire with just the bare essentials, wood, knife and string. See if we can do it.

Has anyone started a fire without a flint or other type of accelerator ?
2013-07-30 5:53 PM

New user
Uh, Slidell?
2013-07-30 6:05 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by NXS

Uh, Slidell?

Nailed it.
2013-07-30 6:19 PM

User image

Queen BTich

Originally posted by Slidell4life
Originally posted by NXS Uh, Slidell?
Nailed it.

Dang, I was going to guess Lafayette.

2013-07-30 9:29 PM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Elite
I feel like the producers just dipped their toes into the water to feel out the audience. I give it about 10 more episodes until they bring some really good eye candy out into the wild.
Of course, once that starts happening, uptight folks will start complaining...but(t)...
The beauty of the producers' defense of the show will be priceless. "Where were you when we didn't have model-esque folks on the show baring their bottoms?"

2013-07-31 12:20 PM
in reply to: MarioJW

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Originally posted by MarioJW I liked the show, but have to wonder about the found pot in the season final. I would not be surprised that they also told them to head in XX direction to find drier land (after the monsoon).

I wondered a bit about the move too.  I do think they covered that track fairly well though.  The guy seemed to advocate for it for awhile before she agreed.  And the thought of heading upstream to find higher ground makes a ton of sense.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Naked and Afraid Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Why is everyone afraid of being afraid of things that make them afraid?

Started by pseudoyams
Views: 776 Posts: 7

2009-01-16 8:29 AM ride_like_u_stole_it

I'm COOKING... Be Afraid. Be Very, Very Afraid.

Started by Spokes
Views: 746 Posts: 8

2007-02-20 3:51 PM FishrCutB8

Naked Librarians! Pages: 1 2

Started by possum
Views: 5761 Posts: 36

2006-10-12 11:18 AM Lucy

Naked prosecutor caught on camera

Started by Sharkie
Views: 750 Posts: 6

2006-10-11 4:12 PM Comet

To Mr. Naked.... actually several Misters Naked... Pages: 1 2