Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Naked and Afraid Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-22 6:59 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: Naked and Afraid
This is my new favorite thing on Discovery Channel.
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/naked-and-afraid/episode-guide.ht...

React, BT!

2013-07-22 7:06 PM
in reply to: Slidell4life

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Naked and Afraid

Iwatch it too. It's a trainwreck! The episode last night was good. That man was a COMPLAINER. At least he realized she saved his weak a$$! She was quite clever.

The only thing I kept wondering was why they waited 3? 4? days to make fire and try for fresh water?

2013-07-22 8:55 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by Slidell4life

This is my new favorite thing on Discovery Channel.
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/naked-and-afraid/episode-guide.ht...

React, BT!
A friend of mine turned me on to it last week. I DVRed some of the past episodes and love it, That and "Top shot" are my two favorite shows right now.
I am glad Puma didn't die but D@MN he was a dumb @$$.
Also why did they get off the plat form in the middle of the the night? They knew the wild pigs were nocturnal and mean, and they were naked. What were they thinking?
2013-07-22 8:59 PM
in reply to: verga

User image

Pro
Houston
We have watched 3-4 episodes and with one exception it seems at least mentally the women handle the stress MUCH better than the men.

2013-07-23 6:16 AM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

Pro
What goofy azz show will they come up with next. This show is trainwreck, I couldn't look away.
2013-07-23 9:43 AM
in reply to: Iowaman

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Eh I can't bring myself to watch it.

2013-07-23 10:45 AM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

We saw the first episode and were hooked.  I don't know how real it is, but if it's as real as Discovery makes it seem, that is some hard core $hit.  Makes Survivor look like a trip to Disney.

I can't imagine what's make people want to do something like this, and it doesn't even appear that they get money or a prize for making the whole period.

I'm all for backpacking and going somewhere remote for a few days.  But bushwhacking through dense forest full of bugs, snakes and other critters with no shoes on?  I'd tap out right there, two minutes into the show.

2013-07-23 11:18 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I haven't paid much attention to TV as of late, but I saw this an another naked survival show on TV. Why the naked? The blurs are distracting. I can understand if it makes everything that much harder and such, but I'm not a fan of the naked. Now if "naked" was more of a reference to the fact that they don't have anything on them and they're being thrown into an ungodly situation with no tools, then yes, naked, ok. And maybe it's a double meaning. But the blurs, come on, it's annoying.
2013-07-23 12:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

I'm saving all of my TV time to watch one of the other new shows: 'Pregnant and Dating'

edited because the scarcasm font was not showing up

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-07-23 12:09 PM
2013-07-23 1:57 PM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Originally posted by Comet

Iwatch it too. It's a trainwreck! The episode last night was good. That man was a COMPLAINER. At least he realized she saved his weak a$$! She was quite clever.

The only thing I kept wondering was why they waited 3? 4? days to make fire and try for fresh water?

That guy was a mess. His one piece of gear was goggles but he wouldn't go in the effing water??? Wouldn't hunt a caiman, wouldn't eat the urchin, WTF?!?!

Agree too that they waited way too long to build a fire. They could have been doing much better with a fire earlier.

In general I like the show but the effect of the nakedness part is lost to the viewers with the blurring. Sure, they feel more vulnerable naked, but if they are blurred out to the viewers they might as well be wearing clothes so the effect is lost IMO.
2013-07-23 2:04 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by mrbbrad

That guy was a mess. His one piece of gear was goggles but he wouldn't go in the effing water??? Wouldn't hunt a caiman, wouldn't eat the urchin, WTF?!?! Agree too that they waited way too long to build a fire. They could have been doing much better with a fire earlier. In general I like the show but the effect of the nakedness part is lost to the viewers with the blurring. Sure, they feel more vulnerable naked, but if they are blurred out to the viewers they might as well be wearing clothes so the effect is lost IMO.

I feel like the reason they do the naked part is not necessarily for the viewers sake but more to test the participants skills.  They have to figure out how to use whatever they can find in the environment for makeshift clothing and maybe even shoes for protection from the elements.  

On one episode (I think it was the Africa bush?) making a shoe of sorts was one of the first things they did since the brush was full of small and very sharp thorns.  Unfortunately it was after the dude already got one deeply embedded into his foot.

2013-07-23 2:21 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Originally posted by noelle1230

Originally posted by mrbbrad

That guy was a mess. His one piece of gear was goggles but he wouldn't go in the effing water??? Wouldn't hunt a caiman, wouldn't eat the urchin, WTF?!?! Agree too that they waited way too long to build a fire. They could have been doing much better with a fire earlier. In general I like the show but the effect of the nakedness part is lost to the viewers with the blurring. Sure, they feel more vulnerable naked, but if they are blurred out to the viewers they might as well be wearing clothes so the effect is lost IMO.

I feel like the reason they do the naked part is not necessarily for the viewers sake but more to test the participants skills.  They have to figure out how to use whatever they can find in the environment for makeshift clothing and maybe even shoes for protection from the elements.  

On one episode (I think it was the Africa bush?) making a shoe of sorts was one of the first things they did since the brush was full of small and very sharp thorns.  Unfortunately it was after the dude already got one deeply embedded into his foot.

Oh, I don't disagree with you, but think as viewers we become a bit desensitized to their plight because the nudity is mostly hidden from us.
2013-07-23 6:25 PM

User image

Master

I can't imagine what's make people want to do something like this, and it doesn't even appear that they get money or a prize for making the whole period.

I'm all for backpacking and going somewhere remote for a few days.  But bushwhacking through dense forest full of bugs, snakes and other critters with no shoes on?  I'd tap out right there, two minutes into the show.

Wait a minute You train for and compete in Triathlons and you can't understand what makes people want to do something like this. I am willing to bet that if you poll your friends neighbors and co-workers they would say the exact same thing about any of us competing in Tris.
I think there is a certain percentage of the population that will always want to find different ways to test their limits for some it is mountain/ rock climbing, some it is driving a car very fast around an oval track, etc.....
As long as it doesn't involve torturing small animals, beating up old people, or stealing stuff, go for it.
2013-07-23 6:28 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
I'd love to try something like this, but I'm not skilled at all in survival. I wonder how much training it would take to get up to that kind of level.
2013-07-23 7:13 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by verga

Wait a minute You train for and compete in Triathlons and you can't understand what makes people want to do something like this. I am willing to bet that if you poll your friends neighbors and co-workers they would say the exact same thing about any of us competing in Tris. I think there is a certain percentage of the population that will always want to find different ways to test their limits for some it is mountain/ rock climbing, some it is driving a car very fast around an oval track, etc..... As long as it doesn't involve torturing small animals, beating up old people, or stealing stuff, go for it.

Oh man, have you seen the show?  What these people are willing to endure for I believe 20 or so days is insane.  They're surviving on very, very little food and water.  Before the first week is up they can hardly continue doing their daily tasks like hunting for food or chopping firewood because they have little to no strength.  Most of them lose 15-30 pounds in those three weeks.

In the last episode, they couldn't keep the fire going because it flipping monsooned.  The only water source had to be boiled.  The guy was so dehydrated that he broke down and drank the unboiled water.  Ended up stuck in the jungle with a 105 degree fever and some nasty bug and had to wait a day for help to arrive because the camera crews go home at night and the participants only have their handheld cams.  He easily could've died out there.  They're dealing with some majorly dangerous stuff.

I really wouldn't compare that to a leisure activity like triathlon just because I make my muscles work and make my lungs burn daily.  To me there is absolutely no comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the people who want to do something like this, I'm just saying that type of desire is way beyond my realm of thinking.

2013-07-25 10:17 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by Slidell4life I'd love to try something like this, but I'm not skilled at all in survival. I wonder how much training it would take to get up to that kind of level.

Most of the people I've seen thus far don't appear to have much training or at least not much experience with implementing their training.  

I asked my 8 and 10 year old daughters last night to tell me the first things to worry about in one of these survival situations and they both immediately said "fire, water, and food."  I added shelter and then discussed how to priorities those needs depending on the situation.  It is amazing how long the people on the show wait to try to get a fire started - I don't care if it is 108 degrees out, you need a fire.

2013-07-25 11:19 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

its like a real life Hunger Games, albiet without people trying to kill you
2013-07-25 11:23 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by austhokie

its like a real life Hunger Games, albiet without people trying to kill you

The producers seem to be trying to kill the participants.
2013-07-25 11:43 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by Hook'em

Originally posted by Slidell4life I'd love to try something like this, but I'm not skilled at all in survival. I wonder how much training it would take to get up to that kind of level.

Most of the people I've seen thus far don't appear to have much training or at least not much experience with implementing their training.  

I asked my 8 and 10 year old daughters last night to tell me the first things to worry about in one of these survival situations and they both immediately said "fire, water, and food."  I added shelter and then discussed how to priorities those needs depending on the situation.  It is amazing how long the people on the show wait to try to get a fire started - I don't care if it is 108 degrees out, you need a fire.

Awesome, your kids are on their way already!  I'm almost 40 and it took me watching this show several times before realizing that you speak the truth about that fire.

The show just fascinates me.  I still don't know how much I believe regarding the claim that the crew leaves at dusk and doesn't return until dawn; or whether or not they're getting some type of nutrient or supplement or something from the producers off camera.  I'd like to believe it's really what it looks like, full on survival mode with no intervention unless someone's about to die or they voluntarily tap out.  But this is reality TV we're talking about here. 

2013-07-29 9:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Bump! I love this show. The season finale louisiana episode was INSANE. 
2013-07-29 9:57 AM
in reply to: fivecents

User image

Queen BTich
Oh no! I MISSED IT! And I live in the wilds of LA!

2013-07-29 10:00 AM

User image

Queen BTich
I have it set to record on Wed, it's airing again. Whew.

Where in the swamp was it? What part of LA? (off to google...)
2013-07-29 1:06 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I love the twitter updates.  Not sure if they are actually posting live, but most of them are saying:

"Jesus, this guy is a wuss!"  "The women are so much stronger than the men"  "This guy is an idiot, complainer, wimp,"  etc.

I love it.

(from a guy)

2013-07-29 1:32 PM
in reply to: fivecents

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

Originally posted by fivecents Bump! I love this show. The season finale louisiana episode was INSANE. 

I agree!! My feet were hurting through the whole episode. The snakes were INSANE!! 

2013-07-29 3:24 PM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

I've watched all of them with the exception of the finale which I'll be watching later this week.

I think in every episode, the girls have had a much stronger mental approach.  The levels have varied but the majority of moaning has come from the guys.  Found that quite interesting.

I can honestly say I would have gone into something like this with the expectation that I, as a guy, would have to support my partner if they were female and would bring more to the team, after watching this show I seriously doubt that would be the case!

(I do have training and experience in this respect, but I think some of the girls in the shows I've seen definitely have higher PSR than I do!) Laughing

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Naked and Afraid Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Why is everyone afraid of being afraid of things that make them afraid?

Started by pseudoyams
Views: 774 Posts: 7

2009-01-16 8:29 AM ride_like_u_stole_it

I'm COOKING... Be Afraid. Be Very, Very Afraid.

Started by Spokes
Views: 742 Posts: 8

2007-02-20 3:51 PM FishrCutB8

Naked Librarians! Pages: 1 2

Started by possum
Views: 5749 Posts: 36

2006-10-12 11:18 AM Lucy

Naked prosecutor caught on camera

Started by Sharkie
Views: 748 Posts: 6

2006-10-11 4:12 PM Comet

To Mr. Naked.... actually several Misters Naked... Pages: 1 2