General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why did my Lbs do this? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-23 6:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: Why did my Lbs do this?
I bought a used cervelo dual last year. I was having problems with it shifting smoothly and took it to a Lbs for a tune up. In the process, they messed up my front derailleur. They put a new one on... A shimano Sora. My rear derailleur is a Dura Ace and my crank is a FSA Gossamer... So I've obviously got a Mish mash of components. I think they replaced the front derailleur with the sora because that was what they had one hand.

At the time I knew nothing about bikes and components (still only know a little) but i know enough now to know this sora doesn't 'fit' with everything else. Should I look into replacing it? With what?

For the record I don't go to that bike shop anymore and do not want them touching my bike. They don't seem to be too knowledgeable or nterested in triathlon or road bikes.

2013-07-23 6:34 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Why did my Lbs do this?
Did they consult you at any time or was it simply an "oops, we messed up and had to replace your FD" when you came in to pick it up? It shouldn't have been a surprise and while I wouldn't expect them to replace something old with the brand new equivalent I'd at least want the option to discuss alternatives first.
2013-07-23 6:36 PM
in reply to: #4812197

Malvern, PA
Nothing inherently wrong with the sora FD. If it works, use it. Did you buy the bike with a sora FD? What was the "messed up" FD??

Need more details before I can give more advice.
2013-07-23 6:39 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
No it wasn't really discussed but it wasn't a surprise either. I was in the shop at the time when they were working on it. I have to take blame in that I had no idea what component was there to begin with and the replacement part seemed fine to me at the time (I didn't know any better). I don't think they were trying to rip me off, but I definitely think they put zero thought/effort into determining what the best component for my application was.
Now that I have more knowledge under my belt I can see its kind of screwy setup.
2013-07-23 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
No it wasn't really discussed but it wasn't a surprise either. I was in the shop at the time when they were working on it. I have to take blame in that I had no idea what component was there to begin with and the replacement part seemed fine to me at the time (I didn't know any better). I don't think they were trying to rip me off, but I definitely think they put zero thought/effort into determining what the best component for my application was.
Now that I have more knowledge under my belt I can see its kind of screwy setup.
2013-07-23 6:45 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Two issues here: 1) Does it work? Nothing wrong with a Sora derailleur, especially a front der which does little work and is very simple in design. 2) Does it fit with the rest of your components? Well, it is a bit lower than the FSA Gossamer and way lower than the DA rear der and the Cervelo frame. I suppose this could bother to you and if it does change it out. Lots of us change out components for newer and cooler googas for our steeds. You can get an ultra spiffy DA or Sram Red for ~$100. May last a bit longer than the Sora, but these things wear out really slowly. Won't work any better out of the box than the Sora.

2013-07-23 6:48 PM
in reply to: datlas

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by datlas

Nothing inherently wrong with the sora FD. If it works, use it. Did you buy the bike with a sora FD? What was the "messed up" FD??

I think they broke the FD when they were installing new shifter cables.

It works, but not smoothly. I sometimes have trouble shifting from the small ring to the big ring.
2013-07-23 6:50 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by dprocket

Originally posted by datlas

I think they broke the FD when they were installing new shifter cables.

It works, but not smoothly. I sometimes have trouble shifting from the small ring to the big ring.

Sounds more like it needs an adjustment. Still, I'd be a bit peeved if my LBS did this as I'd want at least a 105 on there and would be happy to split cost at that point.
2013-07-23 6:54 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by Oysterboy

Two issues here: 1) Does it work? Nothing wrong with a Sora derailleur, especially a front der which does little work and is very simple in design. 2) Does it fit with the rest of your components? Well, it is a bit lower than the FSA Gossamer and way lower than the DA rear der and the Cervelo frame. I suppose this could bother to you and if it does change it out. Lots of us change out components for newer and cooler googas for our steeds. You can get an ultra spiffy DA or Sram Red for ~$100. May last a bit longer than the Sora, but these things wear out really slowly. Won't work any better out of the box than the Sora.

Thanks for the feedback. It does bother me a bit but I don't want to be superfluous anyhow considering I constantly preach 'build the engine' to myself. I plan to keep this frame for a while so am not opposed to upgrading components where reasonable. It seems the crank flexes when I'm pushing big power. Not sure if this is normal or not so another thing I'm thinking about.
I am going to another Lbs in a few weeks that specializes in higher end equipment and is well regarded around here, so I plan to get their feedback... But always like the feedback here first.
2013-07-23 6:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I'd bet the Sora was what they had in the shop at the time and they wanted to get you back on the road. No biggie, buy another der (you can get them for a good price on line) and have another LBS install it.
With that said I have a lower-end Campy front der (Centaur?) on my bike that I picked up for $10. Works like a breeze. Wish the engine worked that well

Edited by Oysterboy 2013-07-23 6:58 PM
2013-07-23 6:57 PM

User image

Sora is 9 speed.  If you're using a 10 speed setup you should definitely change it.  I imagine it's possible for it to work with a 10 speed setup but you may get more chain rub when cross chained, resulting in poor shifting quality.  Also keep in mind that a 9 speed FD is designed to work with a 9 speed chain...so shifting quality may suffer for that reason too.  But I haven't tried it.

2013-07-23 10:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
No diff in performance.
2013-07-23 10:24 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Originally posted by simpsonbo

No diff in performance.

wrong
2013-07-23 10:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
A plastic sleeve and adjustment will fix that.
2013-07-23 10:44 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Frankly, I'd be pissed. If my LBS broke something on my bike while working on it I'd expect them to replace it with the identical product free of charge.
2013-07-23 10:46 PM
in reply to: JZig

User image

Regular
did you ask for your old part back? something to keep in mind in the future

2013-07-24 5:27 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by Jason N

Sora is 9 speed.  If you're using a 10 speed setup you should definitely change it.  I imagine it's possible for it to work with a 10 speed setup but you may get more chain rub when cross chained, resulting in poor shifting quality.  Also keep in mind that a 9 speed FD is designed to work with a 9 speed chain...so shifting quality may suffer for that reason too.  But I haven't tried it.

Well, no... actually you would get less chain rub with a 9-speed front derailleur. A 9-speed chain is wider than a 10 speed, so you will actually end up with a little more room. This is a mechanics trick when you work for example Q-rings... a 9 speed derailleur will actually be a little easier to set up. With that said, the ramping is different on a 10 speed, so shifting does suffer a bit, but not a tremendous difference.

With that said, the LBS broke you Dura-Ace front derailleur and replaced it with a Sora... I would be VERY upset about that... Not that Sora wouldn't work, but you once paid of the higher end component when you purchased the bike, so that's what I would expect them to replace it with. It does sound like this happened a while back though, so by now, you probably can't get your LBS to fix the situation.

You can easily find a Dura-Ace 7800 front derailleur for pretty low cost.... at this point, I would wait for a few seasons though unless the Sora is really bothering you... why not wear out what's on the bike already?
2013-07-24 5:47 AM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Originally posted by spie34

did you ask for your old part back? something to keep in mind in the future

Good call. There's a local motorcycle shop here which was doing that type of thing. Wiping off existing parts and charging you for new. Or taking off high end parts for their own bike and putting ion generic ones.

To the OP: They owe you an explination as to why. If you understood why they swapped in that Sora, you'd at least understand it.
2013-07-24 10:29 AM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Veteran
FWIW, my bike came with Sora parts all around and my FD is constantly in need of readjustment. I'd say I get 100-150 miles TOPS before I can't get it to shift into the big ring anymore. I've always assumed it was my shifter cables getting stretched out (I've only had the bike for just over a year now). I take it back in, they readjust, and I'm on my way - but it's just another thing to deal with.
2013-07-24 10:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by JZig

Frankly, I'd be pissed. If my LBS broke something on my bike while working on it I'd expect them to replace it with the identical product free of charge.

That's what I'm thinking. And if the back derailleur is Dura Ace, I kind of doubt the font one was Sorta. Sorta is entry level while Dura Ace is top of the line.

Edited by KSH 2013-07-24 10:31 AM
2013-07-24 10:32 AM
in reply to: CycloneVM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by CycloneVM

FWIW, my bike came with Sora parts all around and my FD is constantly in need of readjustment. I'd say I get 100-150 miles TOPS before I can't get it to shift into the big ring anymore. I've always assumed it was my shifter cables getting stretched out (I've only had the bike for just over a year now). I take it back in, they readjust, and I'm on my way - but it's just another thing to deal with.

I had the exact same issue when I had Sorta on my Trek 1000. I was so happy when I got a bike with Ultegra and didn't have to go get it adjusted constantly.

2013-07-24 2:25 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Originally posted by audiojan
Originally posted by Jason N

Well, no... actually you would get less chain rub with a 9-speed front derailleur. A 9-speed chain is wider than a 10 speed, so you will actually end up with a little more room. This is a mechanics trick when you work for example Q-rings... a 9 speed derailleur will actually be a little easier to set up. With that said, the ramping is different on a 10 speed, so shifting does suffer a bit, but not a tremendous difference. With that said, the LBS broke you Dura-Ace front derailleur and replaced it with a Sora... I would be VERY upset about that... Not that Sora wouldn't work, but you once paid of the higher end component when you purchased the bike, so that's what I would expect them to replace it with. It does sound like this happened a while back though, so by now, you probably can't get your LBS to fix the situation. You can easily find a Dura-Ace 7800 front derailleur for pretty low cost.... at this point, I would wait for a few seasons though unless the Sora is really bothering you... why not wear out what's on the bike already?

I know that the 9 speed chain is wider, but I also thought (I don't know for sure) that the distance between the largest and smallest cog in 9 speed is a bit more narrow (which is why you may need a spacer when using a 9 speed cassette on a 10 speed free hub...or a spacer when using a 10 speed cassette on a 11 speed free hub).  So if you use a wider 10 speed cassette with a 9 speed FD, you may get more rub since the span of the 10 speed is wider.  Maybe the fact that you're using a narrower 10 speed chain may eliminate that, but Shimano's compatibility chart suggests that a Sora 9 speed FD should not be used on a 10 speed drive train.  Not sure how much of that is actually true though.

As far as replacement...IMO, I would have called it good if the LBS gave me a 105 FD.  At least it's designed for 10 speed.  Given the bike is a Cervelo Dual...which is a fairly old bike, I don't know if it's fair for the LBS to replace a 5ish year old FD with a brand new DA7900 FD.  7800 can still be found online, most likely used, but I would be extremely surprised if the LBS had a brand new 7800 FD in stock.  The new 105 5700 stuff came out in 2011, which probably carried over some of the quality of the Ultegra 6700 that came out in 2009, which probably carried over some of the quality of DA 7800 that came out in 2003.  So the current 105 is probably somewhat close to DA 7800 and a pretty fair trade considering how old the OPs FD may have been before the LBS broke it.  Certainly if the LBS replaced it with a brand new DA 7900 FD...that would have been a significant upgrade.  The OP still got screwed with Sora though.

2013-07-24 2:43 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
$10 says it never broke. They just swapped out with a cheaper one so they could sell a nicer one on craigslist.

That is where my brain goes with these things.
2013-07-24 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Sora front and Dura Ace rear is an odd mix. The only situation I can see that being on the bike beforehand is the person who previously owned it broke the front derailleur and wanted a cheaper, quick fix so put a sora on (maybe he/she knew they were selling it). Or they were upgrading components one step at a time and never got to front derailleur.

It could be that the store screwed you but as you have no proof and it sounds like this didn't happen recently theres not much you can do but move on. If you're happy with the Sora keep it, if not upgrade it.
2013-07-24 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4812197

Yup. Sounds like you got hosed. I would think your original FD was AT LEAST 105 or ultegra if the rear was DA. My bet is DA and they swiped it. One of them new you were not aware of the quality levels and was looking for a DA FD. Probably the employee you spoke with when you took it in.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why did my Lbs do this? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Learn me on why training should not be done in Z3

Started by TriRx
Views: 3083 Posts: 18

2013-04-04 9:28 AM brigby1

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2099 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1653 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Why are you doing it? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by yorkee
Views: 4859 Posts: 91

2008-11-26 8:28 AM TracyV

Reasons why I support my LBS...

Started by econway
Views: 1037 Posts: 9

2004-10-21 6:50 AM Laerka
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : June 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
A few months back I wrote an article about buying your next bike. Well now I have done it and wish to share my experience and choice with you.

date : April 10, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Most of us have gone up and down in weight so often that we have lost count. What we are looking for is a steady loss of weight which often is not found.
date : November 29, 2004
author : gsmacleod
The story of how I lost 60lbs and decided to start training for a triathlon.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".