General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why did my Lbs do this? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-24 4:17 PM
in reply to: #4813021

Subject: RE: Why did my Lbs do this?
What year bike? A quick "Google" says the 2006 Cervelho dual was equipped with DuraAce derailuers.

2013-07-24 6:15 PM
in reply to: Mtthwprc45

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Originally posted by Mtthwprc45

Yup. Sounds like you got hosed. I would think your original FD was AT LEAST 105 or ultegra if the rear was DA. My bet is DA and they swiped it. One of them new you were not aware of the quality levels and was looking for a DA FD. Probably the employee you spoke with when you took it in.

X2. They stole from you.
2013-07-24 6:30 PM
in reply to: jcnipper

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good thing those employees don't work in a jewelry shop. Diamonds get swapped like that sometimes during cleanings and re-sizings.
2013-07-24 6:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by jcnipper
Originally posted by Mtthwprc45Yup. Sounds like you got hosed. I would think your original FD was AT LEAST 105 or ultegra if the rear was DA. My bet is DA and they swiped it. One of them new you were not aware of the quality levels and was looking for a DA FD. Probably the employee you spoke with when you took it in.
X2. They stole from you.
LOL...do you really think an LBS/mechanic would bother stealing a 5+ year old DA7800 front derailleur? At best he'd get $30 for it on ebay. Factor in the cost of a brand new Sora FD and it's basically a wash.

Edited by Jason N 2013-07-24 6:40 PM
2013-07-24 8:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by jcnipper
Originally posted by Mtthwprc45Yup. Sounds like you got hosed. I would think your original FD was AT LEAST 105 or ultegra if the rear was DA. My bet is DA and they swiped it. One of them new you were not aware of the quality levels and was looking for a DA FD. Probably the employee you spoke with when you took it in.
X2. They stole from you.
LOL...do you really think an LBS/mechanic would bother stealing a 5+ year old DA7800 front derailleur? At best he'd get $30 for it on ebay. Factor in the cost of a brand new Sora FD and it's basically a wash.

This. And did they really break it or was it worn out being 7 years old and all. Sora beats having a non functional FD in your next race. Get a sleeve put on where the cable exits the frame by the FD it will help.

Edited by simpsonbo 2013-07-24 8:41 PM
2013-07-25 6:30 AM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by KSH

Originally posted by JZig

Frankly, I'd be pissed. If my LBS broke something on my bike while working on it I'd expect them to replace it with the identical product free of charge.

That's what I'm thinking. And if the back derailleur is Dura Ace, I kind of doubt the font one was Sorta. Sorta is entry level while Dura Ace is top of the line.

This totally. I don't care if it works "almost as well."

I suspect the front derailleur was Durace or at leas Ultegra. I would want the same when I got my bike back.

2013-07-25 10:25 AM
in reply to: dprocket

A new Dura Ace is going to cost about $80 online while the Sora is about $25. My guess is that the mechanic broke it and the only used FD he had around was the Sora. He didn't want to go to the owner and pull a new Dura Ace off the shelf but no one would tell if it was out of the used parts bin.

I am confused with the timeline, you purchased the bike last year when was this repair done? Was the repair done at that time? Was it before you actually purchased the bike?

Giving the benefit of the doubt to the store you said you were having a shifting problem. It could have been a situation where the DA FD was the issue and they just gave you the Sora. Thinking that they were doing you a favor. But they failed that they did not explain that you part was bad and give you the choice of the free sora or to buy a replacement DA. I actually strggle with understand what they did to mess up a FD it is not a complicated piece.

It sounds like a good thing that you no longer go to that bike store for repairs but I would recommend learning how to adj brakes and gears on your own.
2013-07-25 2:57 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

I know bikes are not cars... but in many states auto repair facilities (and insurance companies) are somewhat protected from this type of example. For instance, if your 2004 car gets hit, and needs a door replaced, the insurance company (or in this case, the shop) is only responsible for replacing with a "like kind and quality" part. AKA- a 2004 door from the same car (think salvage yard). They are not responsible to put on a 2013 OEM door as this constitutes an "Improvement" and not an "indemnity".

If, and it is a big IF at this point, the shop did damage the "old" DA part or whatever it was, a brand new part from the same component group would be an upgrade. Perhaps they made the assesment that a used DA on Ebay was approx $30, and a new SORA part was the same price, so why not give you the new part. Granted it is not like quality, but more like value....

I would think that most LBS would go the extra mile to get you replaced with at least the same level of component though. I got hit by a car while riding, and the shop actually upgraded my used Ultegra with a used DA, because it was cheaper than replacing a new Ultegra... and they are great guys!

I have SORA on my road bike, and ULTEGRA/ DA on my Tri Bike. There is a difference in performance. With all do respect, there is probably a reason beyond marketing, that Cervello does not spec their bikes with SORA components.

2013-07-25 6:12 PM

User image

Master
This whole story doesn't make sense and is one of the disadvantages of buying a used bike. A 2006 Duel with an FSA Crank most likely came with a 9 speed 105 Ft and rear derailer. My guess is the DA was added to make it a 10 speed and the shifters had to be changed. That might explained why the front derailer was not working very well. Changing a 6 year old worn out 105 to a Sora might be a lateral move. As bad as it sounds, to really get a nice shifting drivetrain you should consider a new 105 crank, 10 speed chain, cassette, and ft and rear derailer. Or Ultegra
2013-07-25 9:13 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Wow, I was away from this thread for a few days and just revisited: there's tons of helpful information here.

I'll try to answer some of the questions that came up and also provide some context.

First of all, I honestly do not think they were trying to screw me by "stealing" my DA FD and replacing it with a cheaper one. They day that I took it in ( a late Sunday afternoon) they told me their main bike mechanic (their "bike whisperer" as they refer to him) was not in and another guy tried to help me. i could tell, he was not too experienced and my trip was to have it tweaked a month or two after having them tune it up. I honestly think they were just trying to help me and get me on my way *that day* and put on the part that they had on hand. I also think that the guy trying to help was in over his head and would be better served putting pegs on BMX bikes (that seemed to be his interest).

With that said, at the time, I couldn't tell you the difference between a Sora, 105, Ultegra, DA or a hole in the ground. I wouldn't have known the difference between a Shimano, SRAM, Campy or anything else. That is my fault and when you are an ignorant consumer, sometimes things happen that are not in your best interest.

To answer a few questions:2004 Cervelo Dual, 9-speed set up, DA RD, FSA Gossamer crank, and bar end shifters I am not sure if they are DA or Ultegra (they don't say Dura Ace, they have a gray cover that looks alot like these: http://amzn.com/B000R2HLVW). I think the original FD was Ultegra.

Thanks to everyone who commented . I think I will look for a replacement FD and also a sleeve as was suggested and take it to a better bike shop for evaluation.

2013-07-26 5:10 PM

User image

Master
The gray bar end sifters are Ultegra 9 speed and the black are Durace.

2013-07-29 9:56 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Will a ultegra 6700 FD double fit on my bike? Looking at some used ones...
2013-07-29 11:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Follow my twitter and I will post a pic of the sleeve...
2013-07-30 6:29 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by simpsonbo

Follow my twitter and I will post a pic of the sleeve...

handle?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why did my Lbs do this? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Learn me on why training should not be done in Z3

Started by TriRx
Views: 3084 Posts: 18

2013-04-04 9:28 AM brigby1

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2099 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1653 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Why are you doing it? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by yorkee
Views: 4861 Posts: 91

2008-11-26 8:28 AM TracyV

Reasons why I support my LBS...

Started by econway
Views: 1037 Posts: 9

2004-10-21 6:50 AM Laerka
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : June 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
A few months back I wrote an article about buying your next bike. Well now I have done it and wish to share my experience and choice with you.

date : April 10, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Most of us have gone up and down in weight so often that we have lost count. What we are looking for is a steady loss of weight which often is not found.
date : November 29, 2004
author : gsmacleod
The story of how I lost 60lbs and decided to start training for a triathlon.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".