General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What can I do to get faster Quickly? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-09-02 9:52 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Subject: RE: What can I do to get faster Quickly?

Originally posted by Jason N There are no shortcuts to getting faster. You simply train as much as you can and do that over long periods of time to see improvements.That said, you may have a chance at 2:45 depending on how fast (or slow) you really are right now. I know you posted some estimated times, but frankly...I'd bet you have no idea how to accurately predict your race splits anyway. It could very well be that you're already in 2:50ish shape right now and you only need to shave 5 minutes.

So what do I win??? 

Good job.  Now you have some baseline data to work with.  Keep training hard, keep racing, make adjustments...rinse/repeat.  You'll get faster. 

2013-09-02 11:43 PM

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by Jason N There are no shortcuts to getting faster. You simply train as much as you can and do that over long periods of time to see improvements.That said, you may have a chance at 2:45 depending on how fast (or slow) you really are right now. I know you posted some estimated times, but frankly...I'd bet you have no idea how to accurately predict your race splits anyway. It could very well be that you're already in 2:50ish shape right now and you only need to shave 5 minutes.

So what do I win??? 

Good job.  Now you have some baseline data to work with.  Keep training hard, keep racing, make adjustments...rinse/repeat.  You'll get faster. 

Haha, it wasn't my training that made me faster, certainly not in the way of "simply train as much as you can and do that over long periods of time to see improvements".  I actually didn't train any more than I was previous (probably less actually).  What actually made me faster was (in reverse order of significance):

-New tires

-Adjusting my fit and position on my bike

-Learning how to ride a road bike

-Learning how to swim

...and I already had a baseline: My first tri was 3:57, my second was 2:56, my third was 2:42

2013-09-03 12:36 AM
in reply to: Chillin

User image

Originally posted by Chillin

So what do I win??? 

Haha, it wasn't my training that made me faster, certainly not in the way of "simply train as much as you can and do that over long periods of time to see improvements".  I actually didn't train any more than I was previous (probably less actually).  What actually made me faster was (in reverse order of significance):

-New tires

-Learning how to swim

...and I already had a baseline: My first tri was 3:57, my second was 2:56, my third was 2:42

Right...your original post was how to get from a 3:10 predicted finish to a 2:45 finish in 6 weeks.  My point was that you can't get 25 minutes worth of improvement in 6 weeks...it takes much longer than that.  But my second point was that you may not be as far from 2:45 as you originally thought, and that 2:45 could be possible without that much fitness gains.

2013-09-03 12:47 AM

User image

So what do I win??? 

-New tires

-Learning how to swim

Right...your original post was how to get from a 3:10 predicted finish to a 2:45 finish in 6 weeks.  My point was that you can't get 25 minutes worth of improvement in 6 weeks...it takes much longer than that.  But my second point was that you may not be as far from 2:45 as you originally thought, and that 2:45 could be possible without that much fitness gains.

Right, but I did get 25 minutes worth of improvement in 6 weeks (well 28 minutes actually). I would not be able to see 25 minutes worth of FITNESS gains in 6 weeks and I didn't. My Fitness didn't improve at all. My SKILL and equipment improved that much though. When you are coming from such a low base that is really not that hard.
2013-09-03 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL

So what do I win??? 

-New tires

-Learning how to swim

Right, but I did get 25 minutes worth of improvement in 6 weeks (well 28 minutes actually). I would not be able to see 25 minutes worth of FITNESS gains in 6 weeks and I didn't. My Fitness didn't improve at all. My SKILL and equipment improved that much though. When you are coming from such a low base that is really not that hard.

Good point. Who needs fitness is this sport. Just go buy the best of everything and you'll be pretty much guaranteed FOP possibly podiums from here on out

In all seriousness nice job, but again I'll say that 3:10 was a prediction so you can't really say you got 28 minutes worth of improvement. You did go from 2:57, to 2:56, to 2:42: so you did improve. Tires are going to make that big of a difference
2013-09-03 8:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by rjrankin83

So what do I win??? 

-New tires

-Learning how to swim

Good point. Who needs fitness is this sport. Just go buy the best of everything and you'll be pretty much guaranteed FOP possibly podiums from here on out

In all seriousness nice job, but again I'll say that 3:10 was a prediction so you can't really say you got 28 minutes worth of improvement. You did go from 2:57 (I'm assuming 3:57 was a typo), to 2:56, to 2:42: so you did improve. Tires are going to make that big of a difference

Edited by rjrankin83 2013-09-03 8:43 AM

2013-09-03 9:33 AM

User image

Originally posted by rjrankin83

So what do I win??? 

-New tires

-Learning how to swim

Good point. Who needs fitness is this sport. Just go buy the best of everything and you'll be pretty much guaranteed FOP possibly podiums from here on out In all seriousness nice job, but again I'll say that 3:10 was a prediction so you can't really say you got 28 minutes worth of improvement. You did go from 2:57, to 2:56, to 2:42: so you did improve. Tires are going to make that big of a difference
I didn't say fitness wasn't important, just that you are not going to be able to get any significant fitness gains in such a short period of time. And I did say that my new equipment was the Least significant cause of my improvement. Here I can prove what I am saying:I just had 2 races 22 days apart which is obviously too close together to see anything but a tiny fitness gain at all. SwimRace 1: 1500m, 33:19, 2:13/100metersRace 2: 1500m, 27:51, 1:51/100metersConditions were the same. No current. I didn't get fitter. The difference is learning better technique. Bike:Race 1: 38km, 1:35:09, 24.0km/hRace 2: 37.6km, 1:20:07, 28.2km/hSecond course was much hillier and curvier with a much higher elevation gain and yet I still went way faster. It wasn't my fitness it was my skill and technique. Run:Race 1: 8.2km, 42:05, 5:07/kmRace 2: 10.5, 48:11, 4:35/kmRace 2 was 2.3km longer. If they were the same length race 2 would have been 54 minutes. So why was race 2 run so much faster? My fitness didn't improve. It was because I didn't tire myself out floundering in the water and flailing on the bike. So there you go, no predictions, real world results and a more than 25 minute gain in only 3 weeks.

Edited by Chillin 2013-09-03 9:48 AM
2013-09-03 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

Did any suggestion help you? -> Never mind, catching up on the latest threads.

Edited by FranzZemen 2013-09-03 1:40 PM
2013-09-03 4:10 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City

Originally posted by gsmacleod

I just had my tri so I thought I'd follow up and close off this thread:

Goal was: 2:45:00

Today I acheived: 2:42:19! Woo HooAs you can see I still have lots of room for improvement (it was only my run that put me in the top half overall), but still a massive improvement over where I was 6 weeks ago.

Thanks all!

Congratulations! Clearly your bike and swim fitness were better than you anticipated along with the work you've done in the past six weeks. Now work on those transitions along with SBR and get that under 2:30! Nice work, Shane

Thanks!  It wasn't my fitness that was the issue, it was my skill.  I went from never swimming for speed, never swimming for distance, never swimming in a wetsuit, & never riding a road bike.  My fitness was quite good I was just very very slow, but every training session I was better than the time before (mainly swim technique and getting comfortable on a road bike).

But yes clearly I should have worked on transitions more. 

2:30! I'm just happy for under 2:45! lol.

Congrats!

Did you stop for a Latte in T1?!?

You're pretty close to a 2:30 just tightening up your T1 and T2....
2013-09-03 6:07 PM
in reply to: JZig

User image

Originally posted by JZig
Originally posted by gsmacleod

I just had my tri so I thought I'd follow up and close off this thread:

Goal was: 2:45:00

Today I acheived: 2:42:19! Woo HooAs you can see I still have lots of room for improvement (it was only my run that put me in the top half overall), but still a massive improvement over where I was 6 weeks ago.

Thanks all!

Congratulations! Clearly your bike and swim fitness were better than you anticipated along with the work you've done in the past six weeks. Now work on those transitions along with SBR and get that under 2:30! Nice work, Shane

Thanks!  It wasn't my fitness that was the issue, it was my skill.  I went from never swimming for speed, never swimming for distance, never swimming in a wetsuit, & never riding a road bike.  My fitness was quite good I was just very very slow, but every training session I was better than the time before (mainly swim technique and getting comfortable on a road bike).

But yes clearly I should have worked on transitions more. 

2:30! I'm just happy for under 2:45! lol.

Congrats! Did you stop for a Latte in T1?!? You're pretty close to a 2:30 just tightening up your T1 and T2....

Thanks!

Haha, ya those were pretty bad times.  But it was a pretty hard layout for T1, the beach timing mat to the bike exit were well over 200 meters on a curvy path.  Only one person did it under 1 minute (I'm sure he wasn't wearing a wetsuit) and even the 4th place overall finisher did it in 2:32.  However 4:10 is still really bad.  I should probably get non-lace up bike shoes.   ...and just practice a lot more.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What can I do to get faster Quickly? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Getting wetsuit off quickly

Started by alath
Views: 962 Posts: 7

2012-06-01 7:32 AM Sous

Getting out of the wetsuit quickly?

Started by dredwards
Views: 1071 Posts: 8

2006-05-28 8:53 PM madkat

The Limits On Getting Faster - super duper frustrated

Started by Spokes
Views: 1499 Posts: 19

2006-05-05 10:36 AM oneword

Somebody is getting faster!

Started by chile7473
Views: 1135 Posts: 8

2006-03-27 10:21 AM pbarbato

Favorite I'm getting faster moment

Started by sue7013
Views: 1038 Posts: 5

2004-10-17 1:20 PM jkbostic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 20, 2012
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is there an 8-12 week plan to improve technique and strength on the bike, with some running in it as well?

date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?
date : September 16, 2011
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.

date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.
date : November 16, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on a good stroke count, getting faster on the swim, swim drills to get faster, recommended swim drill time and 'my wetsuit is making me slow'.

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?

date : May 5, 2008
author : Team BT
We take a tour through Colorado Premier Training's wind tunnel. Mark Cote explains how it works and how getting a wind tunnel bike fit can be one of your most important tools in getting faster.