General Discussion Race Reports! » Narragansett Summer Running Festival Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Narragansett Summer Running Festival Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Easton, Massachusetts
United States
Northeast Race Management
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 51s
Overall Rank = 19/334
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/35
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race breakfast of a croissant with butter and an iced coffee. Arrived 1.5 hours before start time, and good thing too. The parking lot was 1/2 mile away from the registration area, so simply dealing with the logistics of the race bag and stuff became part of the warm-up.
Event warmup:

1 slow mile, followed by a few form drills and some dynamic stretching. Downed a GU 15 minutes before gun time.
Run
  • 1h 33m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a tough run. The temperature was just under 80 degrees at start time, and in the mid-80s at the finish. Not as hot as it had been, but definitely warmer than preferable. Overall, it was hillier than I anticipated, and I really didn't care for the finish. The half marathon was part of a trio of races going more or less simultaneously: 5K, 10K, and the half. The 5K and 10K were entirely on the campus, and the 5K was done by the time we got back to the campus. We did run the last couple of miles with the 10K runners, and the on-campus portion had a lot of turns, many of them sharp and not at all conducive to keeping up a pace.

I started out OK, with the first couple of miles slower than my overall target pace. However, in the middle few miles I went harder than I should have. The last couple of miles were the slowest, which is unusual for me. I'm usually able to keep a good pace and do negative splits throughout. It was still a PR, by a couple of minutes, but it could have been even better.
What would you do differently?:

I think I neglected to properly account for the heat and humidity, and thought I could maintain a pace that I clearly couldn't. In the future, I'll just need to incorporate weather considerations into my race plan better than I did this time.
Post race
Warm down:

Stumbled around for bit, and then got stretched out. Had a banana and a bottle of water, followed by a cheeseburger and a couple of complimentary beers provided by the race sponsor.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My fitness is pretty good, I think. Even running a less-than-optimal race, I was able to improve my half time by a couple of minutes. The heat and humidity definitely conspired to slow my pace, but I made it worse with poor decision-making.

Event comments:

The pre-race logistics need to be improved. The physical distance between the parking area and the registration area made for a lot of unnecessary walking. Also, the course is just a bit twisty for comfort, especially on campus. Not sure that I would do this race again in the future.

Last updated: 2013-07-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:33:51 | 13.1 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/35
Overall: 19/334
Performance: Good
Course: Lollipop-style course, starting and ending on the campus of Stonehill College in Easton, MA. The first half, winding around a local pond, was a net elevation gain. Mostly side streets, with some sections through a multi-use trail and on the campus, including walkways and a brief stretch on the track.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-07-24 3:20 PM

Veteran
Subject: Narragansett Summer Running Festival Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Narragansett Summer Running Festival Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Baltimore Running Festival- Marathon/Half Marathon/4 Person Team Relay/5K

Started by Red5
Views: 1072 Posts: 1

2009-12-18 11:03 PM Red5

Pacers Running Festival Half Marathon

Started by Bioteknik
Views: 1120 Posts: 3

2009-05-11 6:35 AM sdalessio

Started by ThatGirl
Views: 1033 Posts: 1

2009-05-10 4:13 PM ThatGirl

Started by wurkit_gurl
Views: 1784 Posts: 18

2009-05-13 12:28 PM dck4shrt

Baltimore Running Festival - CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield Half-Marathon

Started by lizard
Views: 2042 Posts: 3

2006-10-15 9:58 AM PTinVA
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.