General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Egg Harbor, Wisconsin
United States
Door Country Triathlon
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 38m 31s
Overall Rank = 696/835
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 35/58
Pre-race routine:

Wake up at 4:30am; Breakfast of Udi's gluten-free cinnamon raise bread + peanut butter + 1/2 sliced banana + cinnamon dash, washed down with strong coffee + whole milk. :)

Arrive to race 1.5-2 hours early; get race chip; set-up transition; go to bathroom; drink water.

Division: 218 out of 305
Event warmup:

Took Simone out for quick 10 minute ride to adjust gears, make sure tires were full and assess overall feel of bike.

30-45 minutes before swim wave, put on wetsuit and swim for 5-10 minutes; seal wetsuit; 10 minutes before wave start, eat gel.
Swim
  • 52m 11s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Our wave went out and I felt great, confident, even past the break wall/pier. Water was "wavy" and a little choppy but alright, navigable.

Challenges started when i felt like I was swimming off course. So long as I stayed close to the buoys, I swam straight. Still not sure if it was me or the buoys.

Then then mens waves caught up. It wasn't so much the grabbing but the "I feel like I'm in the way" mentality. I was annoyed with all the people and embarrassed I was in the way. So long as I stayed calm, it was okay.

Got out of the water just before Amy Jo. We were both equally surprised to see each other. :)
What would you do differently?:

Stay calmer and swim away from the pack, even if it meant I swam further. Not sure if this means swimming out on outside or just staying in the back of the pack. TBD....

Transition 1
  • 05m 29s
Comments:

Took extra time to go to the bathroom and take care of "woman business". No big deal, just enjoyed the sitting and #2 time, too. ;)

Put on more sunscreen. Although it was lightly raining, the sun came out and I still got more sun (no burn) than I'd like.
Bike
  • 3h 23m 40s
  • 56.3 miles
  • 16.61 mile/hr
Comments:

I really enjoyed the bike course and race portion. Kept my pace well and pushed it at the end to see how it would feel. Passed a handful of folks at the end and kept them behind me. Played with pushing it more than I thought I would have and it paid off for a fast average for me.

Saw Dave at mile 16 and about 40. He was smiling to proud both times. It was great to see him and feel his supportive energy.

Next race, I'll keep a comfy pace to begin with, then begin pushing faster about 1/2 or 2/3 through. If I'd pushed sooner, I could have averaged 17-17.5mph.
Transition 2
  • 04m 41s
Comments:

Smooth T2 w/ a much needed potty break. :)

ignore the crowd and stick to focusing on getting into and out of transition.
At mile 53, begin mentally prepping for T2 by imagining my routine upon arrival.
Run
  • 2h 12m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was my favorite part of the day/race! Took it out easy at 9 min run + 1 min walk. I was running at the first mile marker and knew it would be a terrific run. :) Chatted a bit with folks and had fun.

Saw Jody drive in on Hwy 42 at mile 8-ish which completely made my day. He yelled "Go Wifey, Go!!" It was awesome!!

Saw DJ twice. After seeing me at mile 12+, he took my handheld water bottle and instructed me to "let loose" on the down hill, all the way to the finish line. Let's just say I let loose about 80%. Next time, I'll give 'er 100%! ;)

Nutrition was spot on; 1 gel at beginning of run + 2 gels during; water w/ every gel + water stops + when I needed a sip.

Nothing. It played out perfectly. :)
Post race
Warm down:

After getting through finish line, chatted with Amy Jo, Shad and Brad as they waited, too. (We all finished around the same time.) Stretched as I waited and drank a bottle of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My "practice-mode" frame of mind. I consciously decided to hold back just a little to let the race experience soak in. I'll do the same for IM. I'm in no hurry as there'll be plenty of time to push later on.

Event comments:

I loved this race! It's a definite do-over with a group of friends. Who doesn't love going to Door County for heavens sake!!? :)

Last updated: 2013-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:52:11 | 2112 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 45/58
Overall: 0/835
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full wetsuit - Jane
Course: Lake Michigan Frank Murphy Park Town of Egg Harbor (Door County, Wisconsin)
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:23:40 | 56.3 miles | 16.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 44/58
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Mostly flat with 2-3 moderate hills (compared to IMWI course). The majority of it was through beautiful county. The weather was near perfect, too.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ??
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:12:29 | 13.1 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/58
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, some inclines/declines with two significant hills (that I walked). Beautiful scenery with great spectator support. Terrific volunteers and fuel/fluids.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %??
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-24 4:58 PM

User image

New user

Milwaukee
Subject: Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course

2013-07-25 8:02 AM
in reply to: #4813046

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course
Awesome job out there Amy. Congrats on your first Half IM! You really rocked it. Can't wait for next year. Next stop...IMMoooo
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course

Started by gogoSusy
Views: 1882 Posts: 2

2011-07-25 12:03 PM djdavey

Started by b.will
Views: 1377 Posts: 1

2011-07-20 9:38 AM b.will

Started by jschmitchicago
Views: 2322 Posts: 11

2011-07-21 10:46 AM mr2tony

Started by fritzh57
Views: 1455 Posts: 2

2011-09-17 11:10 PM imim

Started by runs_with_jasper
Views: 1713 Posts: 6

2011-07-18 6:07 PM SSMinnow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
Although you can receive all of your vitamins and minerals through foods eaten in the diet, nutritional products used for training may not allow you to meet recommendations on a daily basis.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.
date : September 4, 2004
author : adumey
To help you extract the most from my account, I will highlight the specific take-aways that will not only improve your race time, but reduce unecessary bloodshed.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.