General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fronhofer Tool Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-24 7:53 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Subject: Fronhofer Tool Triathlon - Olympic Distance
I live in Massachusetts but am doing the Fronhofer Tool Triathlon in Cambridge, NY on Aug 3rd. I'm registered for the Olympic distance race. Any other BTers out there doing this or have done this race in the past? I know nothing about this course and not sure I'll have ample time pre-race to check it out. Is it a hilly bike and run course??? Thanks in advance!

2013-07-25 3:44 PM
in reply to: kpringle

User image

Subject: RE: Fronhofer Tool Triathlon - Olympic Distance
This is the route from MapMyRide:

http://www.mapmyride.com/us/hoosick-falls-ny/fronhofer-tool-olympic-triathlon-bike-co-route-118320439

Its hard to know what you mean by "hilly" but I found the route to not be so bad. There is a hill towards the start and there is a huge hill going down for while. Then its all rolling hills with some flatter sections. If you don't normally train with hills, then yes... its hilly.

Its very rural so be prepared to ride by farms with animals.
2013-07-25 5:35 PM
in reply to: LPJmom

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Originally posted by LPJmom

This is the route from MapMyRide:

http://www.mapmyride.com/us/hoosick-falls-ny/fronhofer-tool-olympic-triathlon-bike-co-route-118320439

Its hard to know what you mean by "hilly" but I found the route to not be so bad. There is a hill towards the start and there is a huge hill going down for while. Then its all rolling hills with some flatter sections. If you don't normally train with hills, then yes... its hilly.

Its very rural so be prepared to ride by farms with animals.

Thanks, LPJmom! I should have thought to look it up on mapmyride, duh! I'm used to riding hills, so this looks very doable. I just like to be mentally prepared for the "big" ones if there are any! You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful area. I grew up in Bethlehem (have long ago relocated to the Boston area) and really enjoy riding my bike when I go "home" to see the family in upstate NY; bring on the rural landscape and farms with animals!! Thanks again...
2013-07-27 9:34 PM

User image

This is an amazing course and the race is terrifically well organized, too. I've done it four times and every year I've loved it. The bike course has only one substantial hill toward the beginning - not a bad one at that - and then it's rolling and flat. Some great flats stretches out on route 313. And gorgeous scenery - I grew up about five miles away and learned to swim in nearby Hedges Lake, so each time has been a trip down (good) memory lane. I think you'll have a blast!
2013-08-01 10:42 AM

Hi. I posted this to the General Tri-talk forum, but I thought I'd repost here, as well.

I'm also signed up for the Olympic Distance, and live just north of Saratoga, about an hour away from the site. I was wondering:
1. Where and when is packet pickup?
2. If there are any specific rules regarding swim caps (do we need to wear one?), or items we need to have on our bikes (lights, safety reflectors, etc.)?
3. If there's any specific protocol regarding how race numbers are to be displayed.
4. If anyone has any thoughts on what to bring for the transition area. In the past, I've brought a small pan to rinse off my feet between the swim and bike, but that was because we were exiting the ocean and running over some very fine sand. Also, I used to just wear one set of shoes for the bike and run but do have separate bike shoes now.

This is the first triathlon I've done in eight years, so I'm basing my questions off past experience. I'm looking forward to this event; I've heard it is amazing!

Himanee
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fronhofer Tool Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Finger Lakes Triathlon (Olympic Distance) : Official Thread

Started by jcc
Views: 2402 Posts: 8

2010-09-17 1:45 PM Xan

Fronhofer Tool Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by t3coach1
Views: 4251 Posts: 20

2009-08-05 8:14 AM twinracer

Fronhofer tool triathlon

Started by slow turtle
Views: 1152 Posts: 4

2009-03-30 1:15 PM t3coach1

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by marmadaddy
Views: 3158 Posts: 14

2007-09-21 12:48 PM Xan

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by marmadaddy
Views: 2695 Posts: 7

2006-09-08 4:51 PM dexter
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 4, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 5
I really want to do an Olympic distance but I feel it is a little too far right now. Which training plan should I follow? The sprint sounds too easy for what I'm doing but the Olympic seems too much?

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : September 3, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on getting faster than 1:35/100m, IM swim training, counting strokes and improving an Olympic distance swim.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 7, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 3
After your first triathlon, how many days off should you take to rest? How should you start your training again?

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.