Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Need motivation ahhh!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-25 5:34 AM

Subject: Need motivation ahhh!!
Morning all!

I have an Olympic distance on 10 Aug and I just completed a hard sprint triathlon this last weekend. I am not sure if I'm burnt out from that or from all the crappy rain and humidity here in Georgia but I have had NO motivation to work out all week...the rain has put workouts on hold and the humidity when it's not raining is hovering around 100%. I've been able to push through it before but I just feel bitter about my training suffering and just want to lay in bed and sulk haha.

I hardly believe I'm overtrained but maybe there's a mental component here- not sure. I am fairly stressed with life right now.

I am a VERY intrinsically motivated person normally but I just feel like crap. How do I get out of the slump?

2013-07-25 6:19 AM
in reply to: solovely_19

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Need motivation ahhh!!

hmmm.

It is impossible to say if you could or couldn't be overtrained, but it is highly unlikely.  Sounds to me like you very definitely could be HAFT.  (Hot And Faching Tired).

Do you monitor your resting morning HR?

How's your sleep these days? 

What is your training volume and intensity like? What is your endurance sport history like--are you new to this?

Personal stress can wear you down like training stress.  Back off for a bit, see if it gets better. 

I'm guessing your a woman based on your handle--may also want to get your iron checked, and possibly thyroid.

2013-07-25 6:48 AM

User image

Thorazine.

2013-07-25 7:55 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

We are on the same path by the sounds of things. I have my first Olympic on August 11th. After a sprint a couple of weeks ago I hit a slump (and some could say still in it) mine is the distance I am "freaking out" a little on getting through it. I keep asking for reassurance from my husband and training friends that I can do it.

Also the heat would be a factor I would think. We are only a couple of weeks away so I guess at this point just get up and get going! if you will I will!!

Good Luck

Karen
2013-07-25 9:28 AM
in reply to: purestone

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Take a day or two and do not think about triathlon. Enjoy the kids and or family if there is one. You may just be over thinking this. Remember, we are not making a living doing this!!!  So enjoy a day or two of downtime and the fire will rekindle.
2013-07-25 11:52 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by solovely_19 Morning all! I have an Olympic distance on 10 Aug and I just completed a hard sprint triathlon this last weekend. I am not sure if I'm burnt out from that or from all the crappy rain and humidity here in Georgia but I have had NO motivation to work out all week...the rain has put workouts on hold and the humidity when it's not raining is hovering around 100%. I've been able to push through it before but I just feel bitter about my training suffering and just want to lay in bed and sulk haha. I hardly believe I'm overtrained but maybe there's a mental component here- not sure. I am fairly stressed with life right now. I am a VERY intrinsically motivated person normally but I just feel like crap. How do I get out of the slump?

Some people on the Tri Talk board will crucify you for using the word "overtrained" unless you're an elite athlete.  But I think there's something to be said for your body feeling overtrained for you.  Or really, if it's that word that bothers people let's call it "body is tired".  I go through cycles where I feel so good at points and like a slug at others.  I think it's really normal.  You can't have a great and amazing training week every week.

You've taken a week or so off, after racing you probably needed a little break.  Feel good about that and move forward.  One foot in front of the other.  A day or two off isn't going to blow an upcoming race for you so there's no reason to feel badly about it.  I think sometimes when we feel guilt and anxiety about something we were supposed to do and didn't do, it makes it ten times harder to just go ahead and do it.  So let all that silliness go.  Remember, this is all for FUN, right?? Laughing

2013-07-25 3:16 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Don't worry about taking some time off - but also don't fret about it or let the fact that you've taken some time off consume you.  As Noelle said, there's no reason to feel guilty about it - this is supposed to be for our enjoyment!

Take small steps if you need to - but keep moving forward.  

The other thing I will do if I need motivation is youtube some previous IM starts/finishes.  I can't remember which year it is (maybe 2010?), but one of the broadcasts from Kona almost brings me to tears every time... and makes me want to get off my butt. 

2013-07-25 3:47 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Take a couple of days off and recharge. Time and rest are part of this process, too.

If that doesn't work, do some heavy drugs and drink a lot. <--- KIDDING!
2013-07-29 8:01 PM
in reply to: 0

LMAO. I definitely think it was HAFT! Love it.

Karen, yes we really do sound like we have similar schedules! I also have Army Ten Miler Tryouts this weekend ...which was kind of a random opportunity to squeeze in but I couldn't say no, so I'm going for it! Wish me luck...Motivation seems to have come back - just gotta hope my body hangs in there. YOU CAN DO IT TOO! Have confidence, breathe, and know you're going to do it, and do it well.

And hey- I am perfectly okay with saying over-trained. I know I'm not elite and don't ever really intend to be but yes, I definitely agree that we can all have our varying breaking points, even if it's just some mental stress. Sometimes I just feel like having a temper tantrum because I'm tired of the monotony and strict schedule that I have to juggle. Plus the humid, jungle summer weather of Georgia with it's spastic afternoon storm occurring what feels like EVERY DAY really wears on me too. So I cried a bit. Happens to the best of us, right? And yes it's all for FUN!! Can't forget that.

I've really been wanting to get into the HR monitoring now that I've got the basics down. Any advice on how to ease into that? I have the monitor and all with my 910 xt. I just get so consumed with all the other data that I was so hesitant about tracking heart rate on top of it all. Can someone KISS it for me? Thanks for all the motivation, you guys rock.

Tiara

Edited by solovely_19 2013-07-29 8:09 PM
2013-07-29 8:20 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by solovely_19 LMAO. I definitely think it was HAFT! Love it. Karen, yes we really do sound like we have similar schedules! I also have Army Ten Miler Tryouts this weekend ...which was kind of a random opportunity to squeeze in but I couldn't say no, so I'm going for it! Wish me luck...Motivation seems to have come back - just gotta hope my body hangs in there. YOU CAN DO IT TOO! Have confidence, breathe, and know you're going to do it, and do it well. And hey- I am perfectly okay with saying over-trained. I know I'm not elite and don't ever really intend to be but yes, I definitely agree that we can all have our varying breaking points, even if it's just some mental stress. Sometimes I just feel like having a temper tantrum because I'm tired of the monotony and strict schedule that I have to juggle. Plus the humid, jungle summer weather of Georgia with it's spastic afternoon storm occurring what feels like EVERY DAY really wears on me too. So I cried a bit. Happens to the best of us, right? And yes it's all for FUN!! Can't forget that. I've really been wanting to get into the HR monitoring now that I've got the basics down. Any advice on how to ease into that? I have the monitor and all with my 910 xt. I just get so consumed with all the other data that I was so hesitant about tracking heart rate on top of it all. Can someone KISS it for me? :) Thanks for all the motivation, you guys rock. Tiara

You sound better peanut :)  Good.

HR Monitoring:

Start wearing the strap to bed and keep your 910 xt by your bedside.  It's not the sexiest bedtime look, but I'm sure you'll rock it.  Have a little log book bedside and when you wake up in the morning, write down your HR.  It will really take a few weeks of monitoring to establish a pattern, but then you'll have it.  Wear your HR 1-2 times/week to bed after that and just check in.  If it stays pretty stable, you're g2g and can take longer periods of time between overnight wears and morning checks. After that, if you start feeling HAFT again, do an overnight check; your HR might confirm early overreaching/overtraining symptoms for you (even before the FT part) and you can back it down before the unmotivated blues make camp.

Good luck lady!

2013-07-30 8:10 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Pro
Originally posted by jford2309

Take a day or two and do not think about triathlon. Enjoy the kids and or family if there is one. You may just be over thinking this. Remember, we are not making a living doing this!!!  So enjoy a day or two of downtime and the fire will rekindle.

Great advice.

2013-07-31 3:33 PM
in reply to: #4813281

Thanks, Switch! I will definitely try it :-)
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Need motivation ahhh!! Rss Feed