General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar's wart? help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-20 3:04 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Subject: Plantar's wart? help
Anyone here ever have a plantar's wart? How did you get rid of it? I thought I had a callous on the bottom of my foot, but then it started bothering me. After searching the web, I am pretty sure its a plantars wart. Some of the home remedies include: covering with duct tape for weeks, over the counter freezing, and a bunch of other goofy ones. I talked to one person that went to a doctor and they dug it out. Other things on the web say the doctors can also freeze or laser them, too. I don't want to go to the doctor b/c I have a sprint in 10 days, an olympic 4 weeks after that, and then a 1/2 marathon 3 weeks after that.

It just recently started bothering me. It feels like a stone in the shoe, with minor dull annoying pain. It doesn't affect my running too much, although there may be some subconcious babying of it.

So my questions for you are 1) How did you get rid of yours? 2) How long did it put you out? 3) Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is too graphic, but I have to assume someone out there has some answers.

Schmize

2006-07-20 3:11 PM
in reply to: #488674

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Subject: RE: Plantar's wart? help

I had a couple on my heel.  One responded to the acid sticky pad things the podiatrist gave me... took maybe a week or two to be effective.  The other one was more stubborn though, and he ended up cutting it out, required 5 stitches.... limped for a few days. 

The duct tape thing does work.  It starves the plantar wart virus of oxygen, thus killing it.  Don't get too big a piece though, because it'll kill the surrounding areas as well.... it'll turn white, that's normal.

If it's not bothering you that bad, I'd try the duct tape thing, and then wait it out until after your races, and THEN get it taken care of.....

Good luck!! 

2006-07-20 3:21 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Had a BIG one right on the ball of my right foot. It was there for years, and I didn't get it taken care of until I graduated from high school. And at the same time, I ramped up my mileage. How did I take care of it? Salacilic acid plaster (a little pad you buy over the counter that you cut into little pieces just big enough to cover the wart) covered with celophane tape, then a bandaid over that. Constantly. Once a week I had the doctor carve away at the dead callous (though in hindsight, I could have done this myself), and finally, after 3 months of this, we got to where the doc could cauterize (sp?) the active part. That took care of it. I've done some smaller ones myself the same way, but without the burning phase. And in all that, I never had to take any time off. But it was a slow process. There were days when the acid plaster burned a bit, but other than that, it was pretty painless (unless I stepped on a sharp rock JUST SO...).

Hope that helps.
2006-07-20 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Ventura, California
Used to get them all the time in HS...nasty bastards...
There is an OTC med called Duo-film that gets rid of most of them...check rite aid, longs or CVS

mine were gnarly and I had to get them cut out...3 on one foot 4 on the other....
2006-07-20 3:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
The over the counter freezing thing works pretty good, but I would wait until after the race.
Also, have you seen the commercial where the kid has his mom use that thing on him and then he says "thanks mom" all cheery? Nonsense, that bugger hurts like the dickens, that kid would be on the phone to child protective services!
2006-07-20 3:47 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

2006-07-20 3:52 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Wow, thanks everyone for the quick replies!

I think I am going to put the duct tape on it, until after my next race. Then I will try the compound W after that. If its not gone after the 1/2 mary, off to the doctor.

I just don't want the 5 stiches.....ouch.

Glad to hear I am not the only one. Heard they spread in pool like areas, gym lockers, which makes sense. Darn things. Annoying.
2006-07-20 3:56 PM
in reply to: #488757

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
these things are stubborn and take time to come off.  Give 'em a couple months.   We went through three packages of the things.  ugh.   He actually eventually picked it off himself, he said "it was ready" gross.  
2006-07-20 4:56 PM

Those of you who had them cut out I have heard about a lot of scar tissue building up that can cause problems? any into on that? I have heard they now can use a pulse dye laser that kills the blood supply to the wart much more effictively and less painfull than other methods.
2006-07-20 5:38 PM
in reply to: #488812

User image

Master
Denver
I had the laser treatments to kill a large wart on the ball of my foot, over the last few months. I have gone in to the doc once every two weeks. She would trim away dead skin from the affected area, warm up her laser beam then zap me several times. It hurts like a mother for about two minutes, but not so much that I couldn't walk straight out of the office afterwards and go to workout at the gym. This has killed what I thought was the mother of all warts ! I had tiny ones a long time ago that went away with simple otc remedy's but warts are viral and they usually do not go away by cutting them out.

Twice I tried "more violent" means of getting this wart off my body:

First time, I had my old dermatologist use some kind of Dr Evil type of laser and he literally burned a hole in the bottom of my foot which made a bloody mess. This made me limp around for a week or so with my foot all bandaged up in gauze. THIS SUCKED !

What happened next ? The damn wart grew right back where it had been before.

Fast forward until 2005, where i got the bright idea to cut it out of my foot myself. This was a bloody mess also, and my wart only disappeared temporarily. I have a new scientific hypothesis and anecdotal proof that viruses cannot be killed by a knife ! I guess you could kill the organism that carries the virus, but that is messy too.
2006-07-20 5:51 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

Eric had one and had to have it frozen off.  Before he finally went to the doctor though, he used plenty of Band-aids, and I think even some of those mole skin things to protect it. He tried the OTC stuff but none of it made it go away.

It took two trips to the doctor to have it go away completely. 

2006-07-21 1:16 AM
in reply to: #488841

User image

Extreme Veteran
Camarillo, California
I have found nothing works better than duct tape. Just cut out a strip of duct tape, put it over the wart, and eventually the wart will come out. I just wore the tape all the time (exept while in water.)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar's wart? help Rss Feed