Other Resources My Cup of Joe » One part of your personality you wish you could change. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-25 4:20 PM
in reply to: Whizzzzz

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: One part of your personality you wish you could change.
Originally posted by Whizzzzz

Originally posted by mr2tony

Hey, I told you that onion thing, Monica! Hahahahaha.

I am wary of everyone all the time.

I am an extrovert once I get to know you. But it will take some work on your end to get to know me first. They call this a "non initiating extrovert". I generally stay away from new people... especially in a one on one setting. I will sit alone and be lonely before I approach someone new... one on one.

In a group, it's a bit different, especially if it's in a group where I know some of the people and others are new.

Several people have told me they thought I was a "B" when they first met me... but I'm not a "B" at all. Really.

So I guess I wish I could be better at initiating conversations with strangers or potential friends. Kiss

Yeah the first time I met you I was all `That Whizzz is a total B.' No, no I didn't. In fact I don't recall anybody ever thinking you were a B.

I have had several people tell me just that... "When I first met you I thought you were a ((and I quote one in particular)) A cold hearted btich!" A COLD HEARTED BTICH!!!!!

Oh well yeah, I mean you're cold-hearted, but you're not a !

My mom and sisters used to say that I was born without a heart. Which isn't true. I don't think.

2013-07-25 4:22 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Pro
More patience with my kids. They deserve better lots of the time.
2013-07-25 4:55 PM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Being an introvert (usually) and being a space cadet. The former has cost me dearly in my social life, the latter in lots of situations including triathlon. I am in awe of people who are, or seem to be, naturally outgoing, articulate, and super organized. It's like seeing people fly, or (in my case) ride a bike at 25 mph.
2013-07-25 4:59 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Elite
Hummm... there seems to be a pattern... introverts doing traiathalons.... odd.
2013-07-25 10:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Reno
I think some of you are being hard on yourselves. The whole grudge thing? Heck - I don't think removing unsavory people from your lives is inhealthy at all. Stewing over said unsavory people is, but if you just remove yourself from them, nope - sounds kind of healthy!

. In an interview, years ago, I was asked if it was easier for me to point out my faults or my strengths. In an unhesitating nanosecond, I answered "oh, my faults!" The quick follow up question was "what are they?". I had nothin'. I stammered. Realizing I had been caught, I looked him straight in the eye, smiled, and said "my runaway self-confidence". Yep, got the job.

In recent years, I have been bit in the butt by being too trusting of people I just meet. I am talking mostly work situations. But I really don't want to go through life forcing myself to distrust everyone until they prove themselves, so I accept that the die is already cast on that point. I Can, however, once my trust has been broken, acknowledge and move on pretty well, cutting those people out of my circle of trust. I HAVE found it difficult to successfully cut out people I still have to work with...... Those weekly meetings and chance encounters at the coffee pot make you HAVE to acknowledge them..... #awkward.

Edited by bootygirl 2013-07-25 10:33 PM

2013-07-26 3:15 PM
in reply to: bootygirl

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by bootygirl

I think some of you are being "hard on" yourselves. ...

heh heh you typed that heh heh

2013-07-26 3:18 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

... I don't put enough effort into making sure I'm in contact with people because I get wrapped up in my own life (i.e. training) and tend to forget that a friendship is a two-way thing.  .... 

You do a good job of checking in from what I have noted.
2013-07-26 3:41 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Hey, I told you that onion thing, Monica! Hahahahaha.

I am wary of everyone all the time.

I am an extrovert once I get to know you. But it will take some work on your end to get to know me first. They call this a "non initiating extrovert". I generally stay away from new people... especially in a one on one setting. I will sit alone and be lonely before I approach someone new... one on one.

In a group, it's a bit different, especially if it's in a group where I know some of the people and others are new.

Several people have told me they thought I was a "B" when they first met me... but I'm not a "B" at all. Really.

So I guess I wish I could be better at initiating conversations with strangers or potential friends. Kiss

Yeah the first time I met you I was all `That Whizzz is a total B.' No, no I didn't. In fact I don't recall anybody ever thinking you were a B.

I have had several people tell me just that... "When I first met you I thought you were a ((and I quote one in particular)) A cold hearted btich!" A COLD HEARTED BTICH!!!!!

Oh well yeah, I mean you're cold-hearted, but you're not a ! My mom and sisters used to say that I was born without a heart. Which isn't true. I don't think.

Definitely not true.   

2013-07-26 4:20 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by 1stTimeTri
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

... I don't put enough effort into making sure I'm in contact with people because I get wrapped up in my own life (i.e. training) and tend to forget that a friendship is a two-way thing.  .... 

You do a good job of checking in from what I have noted.

Thanks Phil - it's one of the things that comes up every year as a new years resolution... to be better at staying in contact with friends, with some people it's easy and I don't have to really think about it, others I find it's a lot harder and takes more conscious effort. 

2013-07-26 4:44 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'm a bit of a procrastinator.  In fact, I was going to post this several hours ago....

I also daydream too much (causing my procrastination?).  Typically about world domination and vanquishing mine enemies in particularly gruesome, yet entertaining, way. 

Edited by Kido 2013-07-26 4:46 PM
2013-07-26 10:25 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Originally posted by KSH

The one part of my personality I wish I could could change is my inability to forgive. Mind you, it takes a lot to get me upset about something. And for me to get to the point where I won't forgive someone. I'll forgive small stuff, absolutely.

Not really a trait I'm proud of. I've read the books and I understand that to not forgive only hurts me, but gosh I can't seem to forgive some people! There are a few people on my "never talk to again" list, because of what horrible human beings they are, so it isn't a long list. Probably not good there is a list at all though.

What do you wish you could change, that you work on and can't seem to change?

For the most part I forgive...I'm not big on holding grudges. However, currently I am going through a divorce (wife had an affair) and I can't come close to forgiving her. Of course, she has never asked forgiveness and still denies the affair. Anyway, it's sad because we have to kids and the know I hate their mother. Yes, they know about the affair as they learned about it the same as I did. I guess we all have it in us not to forgive. In this case I don't want t and for the most part I feel ok about that.

If I could change something, I guess I wish I could focus better when people talk with me. I can easily get bored n a conversation (especially lately). I wish I was a better listener.

2013-07-26 11:03 PM
in reply to: rayd

User image

Elite

I would permit no man, no matter what his color might be, to narrow and degrade my soul by making me hate him.

Booker T. Washington

2013-07-27 2:04 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
I have a few doozies.
-I'm a misanthrope, I just don't like most people.
-I'm a loner, I have a couple really close long term friendships, but I'm really hard to get to know and harder to continue to get to know.
-I dont know how to love or trust(I had a pretty insane childhood, this is simply an extention of never seeing/recieving/learning to love or trust)

BUT, I really like my life as it is. Once I simply accepted that these are just parts of 'me' and let go of what society tells me who I should be, I found myself much happier. So while I wish I could change some things, I'm okay with what is.
-
2013-07-29 12:07 PM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great stuff everyone! Well, maybe not so great?

2013-07-29 1:10 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Procrastination would be my number one issue.  Perhaps you can throw forgetfulness in with it, but the Procrastination exacerbates the forgetfulness.

For example, I need to do something and I put it off until later.  Then later comes and I forgot what I was supposed to do so I just don't do it at all.  This works real well in the business world.  lol

2013-07-29 3:56 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Another introvert here, under the right conditions (beer) I come out a bit more.

Also I wish I was more organized, and better at throwing stuff out. House is too cluttered. Some of it comes from being a tinkerer; I like to build things and do odd projects, and the interests run fairly wide. So an old power supply or piece of electronics always has some residual value.

2013-07-29 4:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
DP

Edited by tcj103 2013-07-29 4:15 PM
2013-07-31 6:04 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Expert
Western WI
Originally posted by Kido

I'm a bit of a procrastinator.  In fact, I was going to post this several hours ago....

I also daydream too much (causing my procrastination?).  Typically about world domination and vanquishing mine enemies in particularly gruesome, yet entertaining, way. 

I'm a procrastinator too. Finally getting around to running at 9pm when I had all day to do it... common. I also wish I had more patience.

and KIDO - whenever I see your avatar, I can't help but stop and STARE at it!!! haha!
2013-08-05 12:11 AM

User image

Veteran
I'm overly critical. I think my ability to see the positive in most situations sort of balances it out a bit, but I really wish the critical thoughts wouldn't enter my mind first. I think it's tied into taking things too personally too. (ex. My future SIL mentioned that her family became "complete" a year ago when my niece was born. My first thought of which I should be totally ashamed is "So my family's not complete since my husband and I don't have kids?" Her comment was in no way directed at me, but I always seem to have that critical reaction first.) At least I learned at an early age (mostly) how to keep my mouth shut so the critical thoughts don't usually come out, but just thinking them has to be toxic somehow.
2013-08-06 9:36 AM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Expert

I've a couple of close friends but I am basically stuck a loner, not necessarily by choice though.  Part of it is geographical..

Just when I'd make a close friends I'd move away to another part of the country, or out of the country, and we'd eventually lose touch. As I am getting older, I'm finding it more difficult to connect with new people in new places...

I look at my family (brothers) and their families, and get jealous of how close they've been through the years. They all live in the same town.. never moved.. and are pillars of their community.

I've been on a lot of life adventures.. but it's come with a price. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » One part of your personality you wish you could change. Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Career Change Part 2 -- Marketing Pages: 1 2

Started by meherczeg
Views: 1742 Posts: 35

2011-02-02 2:55 PM TriRSquared

Five Words - Part One Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by misscullen
Views: 2795 Posts: 177

2008-04-01 12:40 AM krludwig

Four letter words part one Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Sharkie
Views: 1803 Posts: 80

2008-02-23 9:45 AM BellinghamSpence

One Word - Part Deux Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94

Started by Aviator1596
Views: 18901 Posts: 2349

2008-02-26 11:33 PM Aviator1596

Patirots Fan Dilemma - wishing they'll lose one game?!

Started by MomX3
Views: 672 Posts: 14

2007-12-11 10:31 AM MomX3
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Video of the six kick change swim drill.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : June 23, 2006
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : April 17, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 5
I was humbled last year. My body shut down on me just before two World Championship events. I was originally in top form to medal in both, but my strength was sapped from me.
date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
The journey begins in the brain. The brain, which energizes your attitude, is the most powerful factor in a lifestyle overhaul.