World Triathlon Corporation
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 54m 6s
Overall Rank = 847/2111
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 34/143
Pre-race routine:

My husband and I rented a car and after he picked it up Saturday morning, we packed up and rolled into Racine around 1:30. Went straight to the expo and checked in. Ran into a few teammates (Chicago Endurance Sports). Went to transition dropped off my bike. Checked into the hotel around 3p and chilled for a few hours before meeting my teammates for dinner at 6p. Got back to the hotel around 8:30p and had some quiet time. Went to bed around 10:30p.

I set my alarm for 4:30a with the goal of leaving around 5a, but instead woke up at 2:30a and couldn't fall back asleep. I felt fine, not tired at all, but hoped that it wouldn't come back to haunt me later in the day. Around 4a I played aroudn on the iPad and got up around 4:20 or so. Ate oatmeal with PB & B and got dressed and sunscreened. Packed up our stuff and left for transition around 5:10a.
Event warmup:

Got to transition and set up the spot: added nutrition and tools to bike, pumped tires, laid out shoes, visor & race belt. One of my teammates and I alphabetically are next to each other and in the same wave, so it was kind of fun to set up next to someone I knew. We took a team photo at 6:15a and then I walked down to the swim start. From our spot in transition, the lake looked pretty angry that day and I wanted to maximize the warmup before my wave went off (7:24).

You walk about a mile down to the swim start. Got there and the lake looked even worse. Waves had whitecaps (height probably 4' or higher ) Got into my wetsuit and into the water. It was harder than I thought trying to swim in this mess. The waves were pretty powerful and I just kept getting flipped over. Swimming really wasn't happening so instead I just stood in the water and tried to get used to just being hit. Pros went off at 7a and I lined up in my wave around 7:10a.
Swim
  • 47m 35s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

You stand on the shore while waiting for your wave to go off. I used that time to put my hands in the water and scoop water into my wetsuit and on my face. When the horn sounded I walked into the water instead of running in. When it was deep enough to swim, I tried to stick my face in the water, but I started to hyperventilate and I couldn't do it. So instead I sort of doggy paddled and figured teh elevated HR would dissapate soon. But that didn't happen! I tried to backstroke instead, but when I did that the waves just knocked me right back to vertical, but facing in the wrong direction. This swim was pretty demoralizing, already, and I hadn't even made it to the first buoy.

I ended up swimming to the first kayak to catch my breath. While I was there the other people hanging on were talking about how they were just going to give up. That snapped me out of my funk. I thought "I am not one of you! I'm not giving up!" and so I left the kayak and started to swim again.I was on the kayak for maybe 30 secs.

THe rest of the swim was still difficult for me. Once you start heading south, it wasn't as rough, but the waves were still tall,do I had a lot of trouble sighting. I would swim and have to pop up vertically to sight bc sighting while stroking was just not happending with the wave height. That used a lot of time.
What would you do differently?:

In perspective, when I swam this course last year I did it in 38ish minutes and I'm faster this year. I'm surprised by how much the swim conditions affected me, but I think that after struggling in the beginning, I may have given up some.
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

Used the wetsuit strippers on the shore. Ran up to transition and found my spot. My teammate who racked next to me was gone already (curses!)
Bike
  • 3h 02m 27s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.46 mile/hr
Comments:

I had glanced at my Garmin when I left the swim so I had an idea of what my time was. But on the bike I kept telling myself to take it one leg at a time, the swim was done, just see what I could do on the bike. Don't try to make up time and then blow up later.

Felt great to be on the bike! There was a 10mi or so wind coming out of the East so first half was slightly faster than the second. Roads pretty bumpy (I call it "sidewalk street"). I had nuun water up front and 20 oz each of plain water and Gatorade on the tubes. I ran into a lot of my teammates on the course and it was fun to chat wtih them for a sec before moving on. I had set the alarm on my Garmin to beep every 20 mins as a reminder to eat. I ate a third of a Clif bar each time in the first hour, a waffle and half Gu in the second hour, and then a half waffle adn the rest of the Gu in the third. The nuun ended up being too sweet and so after dilulating it w/water I just stopped the nuun and instead used a salt tab (ended up taking in 3).

Not much really to say on the bike. It was a lot of fun. The temperature was lovely. I kept my focus on just the bike and what I could be doing in that moment until about mile 45 and then I was ready to be off of it so I started thinking of the run. My left leg started to feel a little crampy/stiff so I shifted into a lower gear and tried to spin it out.

My HR was just barely in Z3 for the ride. I wonder if I could have slightly pushed it a little more? I don't know. I'm pretty happy wtih this - I ended up taking 13 minutes off from last year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Shoes off, shoes on, grabbed visor and race belt and off I went.

Nothing!
Run
  • 1h 59m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I settled into a good pace and stole a look at my watch - it said 8:20s, which is too fast. Slowed down to about 8:50 and settled in. The course has two "hills" (in quotes bc it's hills to Chicagoans) and ran up those. Bc of the nature of the course, where it is an out and back you do 2x, I saw tons of teammates. It was awesome to know that I would see a friendly face soon! Ran through the first two aid stations but walked the third and on. Grabbed water from the first two, and after the third grabbed ice, Perform and water. Took in 1/2 Gu at miles 3, 7 and 10. Saw my family at mile 5 and 8. Around mile 6 I could hear the announcer and I just got SO happy - so grateful that I could be outside, exercising & racing. Thankful that I am able to do this.

I swore to myself that I would only look at run splits for the course, but not my total time until mile 10, which at that point I figured I would have to average 11 min miles to beat a 6hr time. I knew I could do that, so pretty excited at that point of the race. Legs got pretty sore around mile 10 and I had to stay focused mentally and tell myself I could walk at the next aid station. At mile 12 when I could hear the announcer I kept waiting for that grateful feeling to hit, but it never did. Maybe bc I was pretty worn down by that point. No matter, the finish line chute was still magical.

Nothing. Took off about 10 mins from last year. I stuck to my pace like clockwork.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Found my family. Ate 1/2 PB sandwich and drank some beer at the CES tent. Halfheartedly used the Stick on my legs. Watched teammates come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim!!

Event comments:

Racine seems to throw something at you - whether it's the heat, lake, wind or road conditions. This year it was the lake. Volunteers are great and it's really well run and so much fun.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-02-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:35 | 2112 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 72/143
Overall: 1366/2111
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: out about 200 meters, then south for a mile, then back in to the beach for another 200 meters
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:23
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:02:27 | 56 miles | 18.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 45/143
Overall: 1161/2111
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:59:19 | 13.1 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/143
Overall: 847/2111
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-07-25 5:34 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Racine

2013-07-26 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4813986

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine
Great race!!  To be able to overcome such a tough swim, have a solid bike, and then pull out a stellar run is the sign of a tough triathlete!  Congrats
2013-07-27 3:05 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Great solid race! like the race report too!
2013-07-28 8:26 AM
in reply to: oriolepwr

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Loved the gutsy swim!  It may have seemed terrible, but it clearly got the measure of many others (not you!).

Also thought taking it one leg at a time, as you said, was great.  You just kept racing!

Well done.  Laughing

Matt

2013-08-02 1:52 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
TORONTO
Nice! Congrats on a solid race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Racine Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Racine Pages: 1 2

Started by kimk
Views: 6072 Posts: 26

2010-07-22 8:14 PM miami9296

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by TUEFELHUNDEN
Views: 3479 Posts: 10

2013-07-22 5:34 PM Diesel J

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by GRB1
Views: 3634 Posts: 7

2010-07-22 12:11 PM Ershk

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by swimwiu52
Views: 3186 Posts: 7

2010-07-22 12:27 PM Ershk

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 4993 Posts: 19

2013-07-22 4:15 PM rdietz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.