General Discussion Race Reports! » Commit to be Fit Giant Eagle Women’s Only Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Commit to be Fit Giant Eagle Women’s Only Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbus, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 21m 33s
Overall Rank = 179/189
Age Group = 50-55
Age Group Rank = 17/18
Pre-race routine:

Chatted with some friends
Event warmup:

Splashed in the lake for a few minutes. This was my first time in a race since getting sick and I didn't treat it as a race, but an event. Relax and have fun was the mantra for the day
Swim
  • 12m 6s
  • 300 meters
  • 04m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

Was advised to start towards the front since the water was shallow and there would be many women walking the swim course. Started about 20th, only had a few people pass me. There was lots of open space for the swim. Never felt crowded.

Swim was harder than I expected it to be. Have only swam twice since shoulder surgery in January 2012 and clearly I've forgotten most of what I learned! Time includes a fairly long walk into transition
Transition 1
  • 06m 33s
Comments:

I had to sit down and get my bearing before I could do anything. One of the race officials yelled at me this was a race, move it. I didn't say anything to her, but I slowly got my stuff together and headed out when I felt ready. The swim took more out of me than I expected.
Bike
  • 32m 40s
  • 7.18 miles
  • 13.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt mostly good on the bike except for going too hard on the uphill portions. Kept telling myself to quit working so hard and relax. Have fun. Roads were wet, so I was cautious on the turns. Overally pretty happy with this ride. I pushed as hard as I could. Very positive attitude among the competitors.
Transition 2
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Most of this time was walking my bike to my area and getting the danged thing racked. Took off my helmet and gloves and headed out.
Run
  • 27m 53s
  • 1.71 miles
  • 16m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I saw my friend not too far ahead of me, so I pushed too hard almost the entire distance trying to catch her. Had my heartrate up too hgh and was very uncomfortable. At one point, I almost had to stop until I felt better. Did lots of run/walk, but left just enough to run the finish line
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down at the finish and caught my breath, then cried because it felt good to be here again. Took some pictures with friends and the triathlon 101 group from Granville. Had a yummy pb bagel and some orange juice and went to pack up my transition crap.

Event comments:

I went into this knowing that I was limited by my blocked artery, so my goal was really to prove to myself that I could do it. Honestly, I expected it to be easier. It wasn't this hard when I was healthier and in better condition. ;) I had trouble carrying my stuff from the car to transition, so I wondered about the soundness of my decision to do this before I even started. I'm really happy I did. This finisher's medal felt more special than any of the others I've earned. I'm not sure what my future is in triathlon, and I'm not in a big hurry to do another, but I will probably do some next summer. I really loved the atmosphere at the Women's only triathlon. It was not a highly competitve atmosphere and there was lots of support and encouragement. Just what I needed for my first time out after being sick.

Last updated: 2013-07-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:06 | 300 meters | 04m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/189
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Straight point to point
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:33
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:32:40 | 07.18 miles | 13.24 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Slight uphill out of the park, then onto roads with controlled traffic with 3 left turns and a couple of hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:23
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:53 | 01.71 miles | 16m 03s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: run out the sidewalk, through the grass, then along another sidewalk along the beach, drink station, then back the way you came
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-07-27 6:31 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: Commit to be Fit Giant Eagle Women’s Only Triathlon

2013-07-28 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4814783

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Subject: RE: Commit to be Fit Giant Eagle Women’s Only Triathlon
Damn it you almost made this old cromudgeon cry! A big congrats to you for getting back in the game. Given your health conditions going after the finish is all you should worry about. Just thisnk how good you feel today about all this and keep it up! I am sooooooo Proud of you!
2013-07-30 6:31 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Wow, fantastic! Whether you do more or not, I'm glad you got out there and did it! Loved the RR, thanks for sharing your day!
2013-07-30 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
This women's tri is my favorite. You're right: it's such a great atmosphere. Glad that finisher's medal was so sweet for you. Congrats on pushing through.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Commit to be Fit Giant Eagle Women’s Only Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Giant Eagle Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by bruehoyt
Views: 1491 Posts: 2

2011-08-02 11:55 AM triforce

Giant Eagle Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by 100Biscuits
Views: 988 Posts: 1

2011-08-01 9:30 PM 100Biscuits

Giant Eagle Triathlon

Started by mcinTri2010
Views: 1534 Posts: 2

2011-08-01 4:38 PM triforce

Giant Eagle Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by RobFTL
Views: 927 Posts: 1

2011-08-01 11:44 AM RobFTL

Giant Eagle Triathlon

Started by flanag
Views: 1054 Posts: 1

2011-08-01 9:13 AM flanag
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : April 14, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : September 10, 2007
author : tripastor
comments : 2
Triathlon serves up many humbling moments. The most humbling of days came not during a race day but by email. I had been invited to participate in the Rambling Rose Women’s Only Triathlon. Wow.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.