General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Widow sues USAT Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-07-29 2:01 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Widow sues USAT

Originally posted by Socks It will be interesting to see how this pans out.  There is NO standard across races for safety measures.  Yes he signed a waiver and got in the water but all they have to do is say "he didn't understand" and BAM its thrown out.  I am not sure a defibrillator would have done anything to help this case if 1-he was donw 2- they see him the 3-takes 7(?) minutes to get to him...then tow him ashore and then use the defibrilator?  It probably would have done nothing.  I would really like to see a standard across races for safety measures. 

What would you like that standard to be?

2013-07-29 2:04 PM
in reply to: taylorz13

User image

Huh?  I didn't make an analogy about the McDonald's case....  I commented on Jason's post on another issue relating to that case. 

Anyway, its been fun.  But y'all still don't know if it has merit.

Sorry it bugs you

2013-07-29 2:05 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Pro
Originally posted by noelle1230
Originally posted by Left Brain
Originally posted by ChrisM

I don't see how anyone can comment on the merits of a particular case simply by reading a newspaper article.  Must be a bunch of legal genuises.   Either that, or someone is of the opinion that every case lacks merit.  Which is not true.

I've no idea whether there is a valid case or not.  Neither does anyone here. 

Sure you can.......since everybody but him is still around to talk about it.  That makes forming an opinion on how dangerous it was pretty easy, especially if you know someone who was in the same race. 

I don't have an opinion one way or another on this specific case but I have to disagree with that statement LB.  Just because 99 out of 100 people make it out of any given situation alive does not automatically qualify that situation as "safe".  What if a gunman opened fire on a crowd and only hit one person?  Does that mean that since 99 other people walked away unscathed that was a "safe" environment?  I don't buy that argument.

That's pretty far out there Noelle.  You can't really compare the two.  Here, if 1 home out of 100 gets burglarized does that make it an unsafe neighborhood?  No.  See my point?

The fact is.....in a situation like this drowning, a grown man made a decision to swim.  In your example nobopdy made a decision except the guy with the gun.

I can stand on the beach, look at the water, and decide if it is safe for me to swim based on my experience and training.........and so can everyone else.  If lawsuits like this are winnable.....you can kiss organized triathlon for AG'ers goodbye. I dont' want to see that.  This was not some small, local, understaffed race.  This was at the top end of the scale.

The point is that just because a certain number of people survive a situation or even if those people feel it was safe does not automatically mean the situation was safe, nor does it mean a court of law will deem it safe.

Actually.....the percentage of people who got through the swim with no problem does show a level of safety.....and is evidence of safety.  The same way 15 people drowning would be used to show that an event was unsafe.

2013-07-29 2:07 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro

Huh?  I didn't make an analogy about the McDonald's case....  I commented on Jason's post on another issue relating to that case. 

Anyway, its been fun.  But y'all still don't know if it has merit.

Sorry it bugs you

Uh......I have yet to be bugged by anything I see here. LMAO

2013-07-29 2:17 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

I don't see how anyone can comment on the merits of a particular case simply by reading a newspaper article.  Must be a bunch of legal genuises.   Either that, or someone is of the opinion that every case lacks merit.  Which is not true.

Sure you can.......since everybody but him is still around to talk about it.  That makes forming an opinion on how dangerous it was pretty easy, especially if you know someone who was in the same race. 

I don't have an opinion one way or another on this specific case but I have to disagree with that statement LB.  Just because 99 out of 100 people make it out of any given situation alive does not automatically qualify that situation as "safe".  What if a gunman opened fire on a crowd and only hit one person?  Does that mean that since 99 other people walked away unscathed that was a "safe" environment?  I don't buy that argument.

That's pretty far out there Noelle.  You can't really compare the two.  Here, if 1 home out of 100 gets burglarized does that make it an unsafe neighborhood?  No.  See my point?

The fact is.....in a situation like this drowning, a grown man made a decision to swim.  In your example nobopdy made a decision except the guy with the gun.

I can stand on the beach, look at the water, and decide if it is safe for me to swim based on my experience and training.........and so can everyone else.  If lawsuits like this are winnable.....you can kiss organized triathlon for AG'ers goodbye. I dont' want to see that.  This was not some small, local, understaffed race.  This was at the top end of the scale.

The point is that just because a certain number of people survive a situation or even if those people feel it was safe does not automatically mean the situation was safe, nor does it mean a court of law will deem it safe.

Actually.....the percentage of people who got through the swim with no problem does show a level of safety.....and is evidence of safety.  The same way 15 people drowning would be used to show that an event was unsafe.

I doesn't.  Like I said, if 99 out of 100 people made it through a swim alive that doesn't prove anything.  99 out of 100 people may also survive a swim when a T-storm hits.  Shoot, 100 out of the 100 could survive it.  That's not going to change the fact that swimming in a T-storm is unsafe.

People survive unsafe situations all the time.  That doesn't automatically make the situation safe.

2013-07-29 2:27 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Pro

I doesn't.  Like I said, if 99 out of 100 people made it through a swim alive that doesn't prove anything.  99 out of 100 people may also survive a swim when a T-storm hits.  Shoot, 100 out of the 100 could survive it.  That's not going to change the fact that swimming in a T-storm is unsafe.

People survive unsafe situations all the time.  That doesn't automatically make the situation safe.

I get what you are saying.....my point is that the numbers are most certainly important when it comes to showing if the race was unsafe.  All of the numbers will be.....including how many swimmers were "rescued", how many spotters there were....blah,blah,blah.  How many swimmers had no problem will be entered as well.  It's a liable lawsuit......that's what they do.

2013-07-29 2:30 PM

User image

Master
Looks like ~3000 people raced that day. Article on line states about 10 people were pulled from the water (0.33%). Also states that the deceased suffered from cardiovascular disease. The article isn't clear on what the autopsy revealed. Quite possible he had a heart attack resulting in drowning. The article is very specific on lack of AED.

The event website advertised swim practice - not that that alleviates a heart issue on race day. I am attaching a USAT study on triathlon deaths that I found interesting.

Attachments
----------------
USATFinalReport_24OCT12.pdf (257KB - 24 downloads)
2013-07-29 3:18 PM

User image

I am sort of hijacking this thread but I want to ask if anyone knows - is there a standard for minimum safety measures that need to be covered for the water portion of a triathlon? I know there are a few race directors on here.

I recently volunteered at a race where I personally thought the waterfront was understaffed. People were cutting the course (perhaps unintentionally) and totally swimming the wrong way because there were so few paddle boards in the water to direct them. Nothing bad happened to anybody in the water. It got me to thinking can a race director just arbitrarily pick what s/he thinks is reasonable coverage for the water portion of a race or is there guidance?

Originally posted by Socks It will be interesting to see how this pans out.  There is NO standard across races for safety measures.  Yes he signed a waiver and got in the water but all they have to do is say "he didn't understand" and BAM its thrown out.  I am not sure a defibrillator would have done anything to help this case if 1-he was donw 2- they see him the 3-takes 7(?) minutes to get to him...then tow him ashore and then use the defibrilator?  It probably would have done nothing.  I would really like to see a standard across races for safety measures. 

What would you like that standard to be?

2013-07-29 3:48 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
My condolences to the family, but I'm in the "we're too litigious" camp.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd really like to see liability tort reform in our legal system. I understand the UK has a "loser pays" system, where the losing side of a civil suit pays court costs.

That way the plaintiff side has some risk, beyond just filing something and looking for an out of court settlement.

I was in a car accident a few years ago, and I have pretty high levels of automotive insurance. The car that I hit had rolled over several times, and was on it's roof, sideways across the road, in the dark (no street lights). It was very difficult to see, until I was up close, so I ended up hitting it, sliding it about 10 feet. The driver was killed PRIOR to me coming along. The ME at the scene determined this based on evidence on the ground. I won't go into details...

Two years later, I get a subpoena from the local sheriff, I'm being sued for wrongful death. Yay!

They wanted "nothing less than full policy coverage". The accident report had the statement from ME, and stated that the driver of that vehicle was DOA when I came along. I didn't get a ticket, was doing everything right, etc.

Once more evidence came out, they changed their tune, and my insurance company settled out of court. They offered the amount they had budgeted to defend me. Most of that went to the law firm if I recall. My lawyer was pretty confident we would have won, but the risk/reward wasn't worth taking it to trial. It becomes a financial decision at that point, and I didn't have a choice, it's up to the insurance company.

So I don't know if/how tort reform could reduce something like this. But something needs to change.

2013-07-29 4:07 PM
in reply to: tcj103

User image

Champion
Chicago
Just because someone drowned doesn't mean the race unsafe in the same way that everybody's survival in a race doesn't mean it was safe.

Nobody here, certainly, can say whether the case has merit or not. If there were enough lifeguards and the guy died simply because he couldn't swim that far, then I hope it gets thrown out. If it's found the company who put on the race didn't provide enough lifeguards and/or life-saving equipment, then perhaps it's better that this particular race no longer happens. Given the facts I have right now, I can't make that determination.
2013-07-29 4:12 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mr2tony Just because someone drowned doesn't mean the race unsafe in the same way that everybody's survival in a race doesn't mean it was safe. Nobody here, certainly, can say whether the case has merit or not. If there were enough lifeguards and the guy died simply because he couldn't swim that far, then I hope it gets thrown out. If it's found the company who put on the race didn't provide enough lifeguards and/or life-saving equipment, then perhaps it's better that this particular race no longer happens. Given the facts I have right now, I can't make that determination.

This was AG Nationals, not the "Backwoods Try a Tri".....you can make some assumptions based on prior AG Nationals.   And again....in court, the numbers will count.....all of them.

2013-07-29 4:17 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago

Originally posted by mr2tony Just because someone drowned doesn't mean the race unsafe in the same way that everybody's survival in a race doesn't mean it was safe. Nobody here, certainly, can say whether the case has merit or not. If there were enough lifeguards and the guy died simply because he couldn't swim that far, then I hope it gets thrown out. If it's found the company who put on the race didn't provide enough lifeguards and/or life-saving equipment, then perhaps it's better that this particular race no longer happens. Given the facts I have right now, I can't make that determination.

This was AG Nationals, not the "Backwoods Try a Tri".....you can make some assumptions based on prior AG Nationals.   And again....in court, the numbers will count.....all of them.

Do you understand that anybody can sign up for AG Nationals? Or is that just another fact you didn't have when you started making assumptions?
2013-07-29 4:35 PM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by mr2tony

Do you understand that anybody can sign up for AG Nationals? Or is that just another fact you didn't have when you started making assumptions?

It doesn't matter who signs up.....it's one of the best supported races in the sport.  I attend USAT cup races all over the country....I've never seen one that didn't have absolute top-notch water safety support.  You're right.....I can't say with certainty what happened that day.  But I can have an opinion based on the races I've been to that were USAT cup races, and the people I know who raced that particular race...and I'll be stunned if any court or jury finds negligence.  This isn't the first rodeo.

2013-07-29 4:54 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

It doesn't matter who signs up.....it's one of the best supported races in the sport.  I attend USAT cup races all over the country....I've never seen one that didn't have absolute top-notch water safety support.  You're right.....I can't say with certainty what happened that day.  But I can have an opinion based on the races I've been to that were USAT cup races, and the people I know who raced that particular race...and I'll be stunned if any court or jury finds negligence.  This isn't the first rodeo.

Someone needs to take cover, or maybe the world has stopped, or maybe Tony has given me too many floories (cuz they really shouldn't be called roofies) and they've gone to my head (deep breath)... I completely agree with LB.  There, I've said it... I agree with LB. 

Regardless of whether it's the USAT AG Nationals or some backwards Try a Tri or not, this person VOLUNTARILY decided to sign up for a race, click the button on the waiver, go to the race, and get into the water after seeing the water/swimming conditions and assessing those conditions against his own abilities.

HE made the decision to get into the water and partake in the race.  This was voluntary assumption of risk on his part.  Is it sad that his life ended the way it did?  Absolutely, but by no means does what I've read in the article about his death indicate that someone else should be held responsible for it. 

2013-07-29 5:01 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Someone needs to take cover, or maybe the world has stopped, or maybe Tony has given me too many floories (cuz they really shouldn't be called roofies) and they've gone to my head (deep breath)... I completely agree with LB.  There, I've said it... I agree with LB. 

Regardless of whether it's the USAT AG Nationals or some backwards Try a Tri or not, this person VOLUNTARILY decided to sign up for a race, click the button on the waiver, go to the race, and get into the water after seeing the water/swimming conditions and assessing those conditions against his own abilities.

HE made the decision to get into the water and partake in the race.  This was voluntary assumption of risk on his part.  Is it sad that his life ended the way it did?  Absolutely, but by no means does what I've read in the article about his death indicate that someone else should be held responsible for it. 

Yup, this.  He got up that morning and put on his big boy pants.
2013-07-30 9:13 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

I found this journal article while I was killing time today (aka, trying to work on my lit review for my dissertation but getting distracted).

Sudden Death During the Triathlon - http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=185622

they used stats from 2006-2008 and 2971 USAT events - of those, 14 participants died in 14 tris - 13 while swimming and 1 on the bike - the stats were interesting to read - especially that most of the swimming deaths occurred in short course races, vice longer ones (which would have been opposite to my expectation)

2013-07-30 5:32 PM
in reply to: rab27713

Veteran
Originally posted by rab27713

I can see both (many) sides to this. On the one hand, we do sign waivers and make choices to enter the water and thus we bear responsibility. At the same time, I participated in this event and some of what is claimed was true. First, when the sun came up, the water was flat, there was no wind. Shortly thereafter, the wind picked up, and for the first half to 2/3rds of the waves, there were 2-4 foot waves within the harbor. It was the toughest swim I ever experienced, and when checking out the course before the race, all looked fine. I was also keenly aware during the swim that the course 'monitors'/supporters were few and far between. I've been in many races where there were anywhere from few to almost too many kayakers/SUPers/boaters along the way, and this one had the fewest in the worst conditions. And there was no way to know ahead of time how many rescue folks are on the course. Many if not most of us ended up off course due to the winds and currents. So yes, I signed the waiver and I choose to go in the water. And, I didn't know just how bad it was until I started swimming, nor did I know how many/few support personnel were around during the swim. I remember thinking very clearly that I was on my own out there and hence had to swim like heck and get it over with. From what I understand, the last several waves had no wind and great conditions. It's a bad situation all the way around. I'm glad I'm not the one having to make the decision on this case. It's easy to write this off as frivolous in an unfortunate situation, but there are some merits to the case, IMHO.
Robin

from an atty's perspective:

1. signing a waiver does not mean you are signing away the event organizers responsibility in keeping people "reasonably" safe. you CANNOT just throw a waiver in front of people and call yourself safe. when signing a waiver, you accept the normal peril, not unreasonable peril

2. that said, taking the facts as presented in the article - there is no way to prove having a defrib wouldn have made a difference. that claim is gettin tossed

3. sooo, according to other person that was there, things looked good and worsened as the day went on. for god sake's people, you have some responsibility to keep yourself safe too - and while you can sue and fingerpoint, and people complain about juries, I have never, in more than 100 juries, thought, gee, the jury really got that wrong based on the evidence. I have been in a swim with 4-5 foot chop. I stopped and found a boat because I knew my limits. paying money does not give you some superman cloak. race organizer never represented that they will keep you safe from your own health issues, pushing it too far, etc. it is NOT the race organizers responsiblity to decide what your limits are for you provided they are reaonsable in their expectations -- telling people the water is safe when in fact you know bacteria levels are dangerously high, or there is an oil slick or alligators and you know othewise IS something an organizer would be responsible for - things they can't know for themselves. you know when the swells are high. if that makes you uncomfortable, then don't swim it.

4. it took the boat forever to get to him? how do we know this? it may have seemed that long, but in truth, took a minute. maybe it did take that long because they also had a responsbility to the other athletes to keep them reaonsably safe. barreling through the water without being very careful to run over other swimmers IS an unreasonable risk created by the organizers, and one which the other swimmers could not know poses a risk.

5. number of rescue people? again, why do people think paying some money means they can push themselves way beyond their capability and expect to be saved? like the knuckleheads that go hiking in the wilderness without water or sense of direction then need saving. i started doing triathlons on the East coast. always TONS of boats out. then I did some elsewhere in the U.S. and it initially freaked me out and stayed in my head through the first 1/4 of the swim, until the voice of reason popped into my head and said, 'wait, what's wrong with you. they can't expect that you don't know how to swim very well. if you don't know how to do it, then why are you out here?!?' AH-GREED. again, a race organizer is not expected to pamper to every person that has an issue, doesn't know their limits, can't swim well, wrong place wrong time, had a panic attack - whatever. NOTHING stopped the man from wearing one ot those swimmit things. there was technology available to him that would have made him safer. he didn't use it. Every swimmer saw how many support people were out there before they got in. they got in anyway. once he got in, he could have turned around, flippin on his back, waived down the boat, pulled his swimmit that he wasn't wearing. court will not find that race organizer had to account for everything he did not do.

8. McDonald's: to set the record straight. the McD's coffee was 180 degrees! humans cannot consume 180 degree coffee. 100 degree coffee would still have been hot, but not so hot it scalded. McD had been warned numerous times it was dangerously hot via hundreds of law suits. they didn't change the temp. when they gave the woman the coffee, they handed it to her without the lid on it, requiring her to take a cup of 180 degree coffee, in the drive through, sitting in a car, and put a lid on it while the coffee was wayy too hot to sip some coffee out first so it was less likely to spill while she was putting the cover on. when she burned herself, she only asked for money to cover medical bills. that's it, nothing more. McD's refused. the jury award represented ONE DAYS WORTH OF COFFEE SALES, ONE DAY. it wasn't going to bankrupt them, it was just the jury saying, this is what it took to get you to finally turn down the temp? the media blew it wayy out of portion and now people more than a generation later still complain about the case without ever looking at the facts. McD's knew there was danger, they had been told over and over there was a danger to coffee drinkers, they were given a chance to make things right, they said, no, no, no the entire way. Nothing in the triathlete death equates to McD's kind of behavior. if there was an aggressive alligator that had attacked someon the week before in the water and they knew it, but said nothing and did nothing and someone was bitten, then it would be the same. it's not.

9. telling her there was an emergency: she would have sued either waive. emotional distress becasue they told me there was trouble before they knew for sure - suing. you didn't tell me soon enough. suing. either way, she would be suing on this because he died and she wants to blame someone. i do feel sorry for her loss, but blaming the race organizers is just going to run up the bill, not bring him back, and unless there are facts left out, i.e. he told race organizers he has medical issues and they said, it's ok, swim anyway and we will have a boat right next to you; or there is some study they should have been aware of that says with swells of a certain hight, you are guaranteed someone will die, then MAYBE some merits, but as the facts stand. this is a loser case -- or should be provided the race organizers have a half way decent atty.
2013-07-30 7:03 PM
in reply to: BAMBAM66

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Very sad for this family, but cannot agree with the suit and the demand for seven figure damages. Like many outdoor activities, tri has inherent risks we all freely accept to participate. For many reasons, inc future of AG tri, I sure hope this gets tossed straight away.
2013-07-30 9:24 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Pro

Originally posted by sheesleeva
Originally posted by rab27713 I can see both (many) sides to this. On the one hand, we do sign waivers and make choices to enter the water and thus we bear responsibility. At the same time, I participated in this event and some of what is claimed was true. First, when the sun came up, the water was flat, there was no wind. Shortly thereafter, the wind picked up, and for the first half to 2/3rds of the waves, there were 2-4 foot waves within the harbor. It was the toughest swim I ever experienced, and when checking out the course before the race, all looked fine. I was also keenly aware during the swim that the course 'monitors'/supporters were few and far between. I've been in many races where there were anywhere from few to almost too many kayakers/SUPers/boaters along the way, and this one had the fewest in the worst conditions. And there was no way to know ahead of time how many rescue folks are on the course. Many if not most of us ended up off course due to the winds and currents. So yes, I signed the waiver and I choose to go in the water. And, I didn't know just how bad it was until I started swimming, nor did I know how many/few support personnel were around during the swim. I remember thinking very clearly that I was on my own out there and hence had to swim like heck and get it over with. From what I understand, the last several waves had no wind and great conditions. It's a bad situation all the way around. I'm glad I'm not the one having to make the decision on this case. It's easy to write this off as frivolous in an unfortunate situation, but there are some merits to the case, IMHO. Robin
from an atty's perspective: 1. signing a waiver does not mean you are signing away the event organizers responsibility in keeping people "reasonably" safe. you CANNOT just throw a waiver in front of people and call yourself safe. when signing a waiver, you accept the normal peril, not unreasonable peril 2. that said, taking the facts as presented in the article - there is no way to prove having a defrib wouldn have made a difference. that claim is gettin tossed 3. sooo, according to other person that was there, things looked good and worsened as the day went on. for god sake's people, you have some responsibility to keep yourself safe too - and while you can sue and fingerpoint, and people complain about juries, I have never, in more than 100 juries, thought, gee, the jury really got that wrong based on the evidence. I have been in a swim with 4-5 foot chop. I stopped and found a boat because I knew my limits. paying money does not give you some superman cloak. race organizer never represented that they will keep you safe from your own health issues, pushing it too far, etc. it is NOT the race organizers responsiblity to decide what your limits are for you provided they are reaonsable in their expectations -- telling people the water is safe when in fact you know bacteria levels are dangerously high, or there is an oil slick or alligators and you know othewise IS something an organizer would be responsible for - things they can't know for themselves. you know when the swells are high. if that makes you uncomfortable, then don't swim it. 4. it took the boat forever to get to him? how do we know this? it may have seemed that long, but in truth, took a minute. maybe it did take that long because they also had a responsbility to the other athletes to keep them reaonsably safe. barreling through the water without being very careful to run over other swimmers IS an unreasonable risk created by the organizers, and one which the other swimmers could not know poses a risk. 5. number of rescue people? again, why do people think paying some money means they can push themselves way beyond their capability and expect to be saved? like the knuckleheads that go hiking in the wilderness without water or sense of direction then need saving. i started doing triathlons on the East coast. always TONS of boats out. then I did some elsewhere in the U.S. and it initially freaked me out and stayed in my head through the first 1/4 of the swim, until the voice of reason popped into my head and said, 'wait, what's wrong with you. they can't expect that you don't know how to swim very well. if you don't know how to do it, then why are you out here?!?' AH-GREED. again, a race organizer is not expected to pamper to every person that has an issue, doesn't know their limits, can't swim well, wrong place wrong time, had a panic attack - whatever. NOTHING stopped the man from wearing one ot those swimmit things. there was technology available to him that would have made him safer. he didn't use it. Every swimmer saw how many support people were out there before they got in. they got in anyway. once he got in, he could have turned around, flippin on his back, waived down the boat, pulled his swimmit that he wasn't wearing. court will not find that race organizer had to account for everything he did not do. 8. McDonald's: to set the record straight. the McD's coffee was 180 degrees! humans cannot consume 180 degree coffee. 100 degree coffee would still have been hot, but not so hot it scalded. McD had been warned numerous times it was dangerously hot via hundreds of law suits. they didn't change the temp. when they gave the woman the coffee, they handed it to her without the lid on it, requiring her to take a cup of 180 degree coffee, in the drive through, sitting in a car, and put a lid on it while the coffee was wayy too hot to sip some coffee out first so it was less likely to spill while she was putting the cover on. when she burned herself, she only asked for money to cover medical bills. that's it, nothing more. McD's refused. the jury award represented ONE DAYS WORTH OF COFFEE SALES, ONE DAY. it wasn't going to bankrupt them, it was just the jury saying, this is what it took to get you to finally turn down the temp? the media blew it wayy out of portion and now people more than a generation later still complain about the case without ever looking at the facts. McD's knew there was danger, they had been told over and over there was a danger to coffee drinkers, they were given a chance to make things right, they said, no, no, no the entire way. Nothing in the triathlete death equates to McD's kind of behavior. if there was an aggressive alligator that had attacked someon the week before in the water and they knew it, but said nothing and did nothing and someone was bitten, then it would be the same. it's not. 9. telling her there was an emergency: she would have sued either waive. emotional distress becasue they told me there was trouble before they knew for sure - suing. you didn't tell me soon enough. suing. either way, she would be suing on this because he died and she wants to blame someone. i do feel sorry for her loss, but blaming the race organizers is just going to run up the bill, not bring him back, and unless there are facts left out, i.e. he told race organizers he has medical issues and they said, it's ok, swim anyway and we will have a boat right next to you; or there is some study they should have been aware of that says with swells of a certain hight, you are guaranteed someone will die, then MAYBE some merits, but as the facts stand. this is a loser case -- or should be provided the race organizers have a half way decent atty.

You can't fool me....you're not really an attorney. Laughing 

Nice post.

2013-07-31 11:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX

I googled the case to find out a little more. It was the Olympic-Distance Race at USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships.

Judging by the picture on the BFP site, it looked to be wetsuit legal. So there is much less of a chance that a seasoned swimmer would drown without another trigger - over-exertion, panic, heart problems, or a combination.

I feel badly for the family, but I don't think having an AED would have made lick of a difference if someone's lungs are full of water.

Burlington Free Press: "An autopsy determined Angelo died of drowning with the contributing condition of hypertensive and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease."

Slowtwitch: His goal was to finish in the top-20 in order to make it to Worlds.
2013-08-01 10:58 AM

First of all, I agree with most that it is difficult to draw a conclusion about this particular event based off of articles and some third hand accounts. However, I do think there is a good debate to be had about what we expect from race directors and events sanctioned by USAT.

I think we can all agree that racing in a triathlon has inherent risks and we all know that going into it. Accidents happen, bike crashes, freak weather, seemingly random heart attacks… all of these are bound to happen at some point and at a minimum are unfortunate or in some cases can be tragic.

On the other hand, if we would have read this story and it said that there were no lifeguards on the swim course at all, then I think we would all agree that the race director and USAT should be 100% liable and get their a**es handed to them in court.

So since (presumably) we agree on these two extremes, there must be a reasonable expectation of what to expect from a race director and anything with the USAT logo on it. I would think (hope) that there is some sort of standard for lifeguards and boats given a course length. We have similar expectations in other areas too; i.e. that my bike not be stolen and that there are enough port-a-pots.

So here’s my question for everybody- has anyone been to a race where they saw something run poorly or even dangerously and complained to USAT? Did you get a response? Did you go back next year and was it corrected? How often do race directors loose USAT approval? My presumption is that there is a race review procedure at USAT but I don’t actually know this.

2013-08-01 11:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
like everyone else my heart goes out to the family for their loss. However, I don't get a lawsuit. I am a very strong swimmer but having said that, the responsibility to know if conditions are such that I can swim safely are mine and mine alone. I would never relinquish that responsibility to anyone else.

Earlier this year I went for a swim in particularly cold water. I had a wetsuit on. As soon as I hit the water I know the conditions were too severe for me to be safe. So I hauled my sorry backside out of the water and, if you will excuse the expression in light of the context, lived to fight another day. Later I learned the water was in the 40s.

I love this sport. I also have a wife and 2 children. My wife knows the risks of the sport as I sit here recovering from hip surgery after a cycling accident involving a car. She hates it when I ride alone. However, if the conditions on race day were unsafe I guarantee the only she would hold responsible for continuing on is me so I take that responsibility seriously.

Someone else mentioned life insurance. It goes to the same idea, MY responsibility to my family. That is why I have insurance.

Bottom line is I am very sorry any time something like this happens but you know the risks when to sign up.
2013-08-01 11:49 AM

User image

New user
Athens, GA

This was the Olympic distance. You have to qualify.
2013-08-01 12:24 PM
in reply to: paxsarah

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by paxsarah
Originally posted by mr2tony Do you understand that anybody can sign up for AG Nationals? Or is that just another fact you didn't have when you started making assumptions?
This was the Olympic distance. You have to qualify.

Not for the Clyde/Athena categories. 

2013-08-01 12:55 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

I was there.

This was the Olympic.  You had to qualify unless you were Clydesdale/Athena.  I do not believe he was a Clydesdale.  I could be wrong. That being said, everything I've read about him is that he was very fit.  This is one quote I uncovered.

"This, from a friend of the victim, who is himself a seasoned triathlete:  "He was the fittest guy I know.  He mentally and physically prepared for this race all summer long.  He was a vegan, and took every precaution in terms of eating and recovery.  He practiced open water swim starts.  His goal was to finish in the top-20 in order to make it to Worlds.  He was in peak form."

I've done significantly worse swims than this.  Hell, I've practiced in significantly worse conditions than were there that day.

I felt perfectly safe with the amount of support that was in the water.  Especially at something like this.  I was about an hour behind him in my start time.  I saw them take him away in the ambulance. 

I feel for his family.  But to me, this is a baseless suite.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Widow sues USAT Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Partially blind triathlete sues over requirement he wear blackout glasses Pages: 1 2

Started by BrianRunsPhilly
Views: 3273 Posts: 36

2012-04-27 2:03 PM bel83

IM NA is being sued for death at IMFL Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Fred D
Views: 11701 Posts: 221

2009-07-11 3:26 PM dexter

Triathlon-widows replacing Golf-widows in our PTA

Started by guncollector
Views: 1000 Posts: 6

2006-10-03 7:23 AM velocomp

Another triathlete dies...but his widow wins.

Started by Cmikul
Views: 813 Posts: 2

2005-08-19 3:55 PM the bear

The real Sue Crystal River Story...

Started by G8RSAX
Views: 648 Posts: 7

2004-09-21 8:07 PM sue7013
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : March 29, 2011
author : USATriathlon
Robert Vigorito, the Mid-Atlantic Council Chair, discusses USAT and some of it's initiatives in 2011
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : March 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
Most triathlons in America are held under USA Triathlon sanctioning. Last year I finally got a national ranking. Here are a few reasons to join.
date : June 14, 2005
author : Team BT
USA Triathlon has announced that it will no longer sanction events owned by the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) or Ironman North America (IMNA).

date : May 16, 2005
author : infosteward
"After accepting the job, I asked Bill to put on my desk the entire major concerns that needed to be addressed immediately upon my arrival. I wanted the toughest challenges he could give me."
date : May 3, 2005
author : infosteward
Can the USAT serve its 50,000+ members largely made up of weekend warriors in search of age-group hardware, while catering to the small percent of elite or pro athletes?

date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
USAT and membership and racing.