Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The demise of local OTA TV? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-28 11:07 AM

Veteran
Ohio
Subject: The demise of local OTA TV?
Sitting here on a Sunday morning at 11:30 am watching a little TV. OTA; no cable or Dish. 4 of the 6 channels are running infomercials. One of the commercial stations is running a community support type program; the other channel (PBS) is running there normal programming, which I enjoy and watch frequently.

This is why the FCC has granted my local stations a licence to operate???? To broadcast me hour upon hour of 1/2 hour long commercials???

Rant over.

Ooops. Maybe this have been posted in the new political forum. Sorry.

Edited by buck1400 2013-07-28 11:10 AM

2013-07-29 12:41 PM
in reply to: buck1400

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: The demise of local OTA TV?

You only get 6 channels in Ohio? Even Idaho has a lot more than that!

I was a bit peeved when they took Universal Sports away from the free channels, that was nice to have. 

I won't pay for cable so we use Netflix, only $8 a month, plenty of TV series to watch and the best part is no commercials!

2013-07-29 1:05 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I suspect OTA will likely stick around indefinitely due to government mandates.

However, to expand your thread a little bit the Coax in the ground cable companies are absolutely toast in the next 10 years. (if not sooner)

It's just a matter of time until everything is streamed live via the internet and the content providers are forced to move towards supplying their product via internet based streamers or come up with a direct pay model.  This is bad news for the cable companies themselves because their $200+/mo they're getting from me isn't going to last much longer.  buhahaha 

2013-07-29 11:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Originally posted by tuwood

However, to expand your thread a little bit the Coax in the ground cable companies are absolutely toast in the next 10 years. (if not sooner)

It's just a matter of time until everything is streamed live via the internet and the content providers are forced to move towards supplying their product via internet based streamers or come up with a direct pay model.  This is bad news for the cable companies themselves because their $200+/mo they're getting from me isn't going to last much longer.  buhahaha 

Not quite sure what you mean by the bolded. We're still making phone calls on copper that was laid in the ground many decades before Cable MSOs existed; there's no reason it should be kicking it anytime soon. Besides most cable backbones are fiber anyway. The copper portion is basically only from the terminal box to your house in most cases.

As far as a changing business / pricing model. Maybe. The problem we have here in the US is there's no competition and deregulation was a failure. Putting in a competing fiber/copper network is prohibitively expensive and nobody really wants 5 different cable outlets in your home anyway. There's little incentive to build competition and the gov't will not run/treat internet service like a public utility.

Even if the wireless infrastructure becomes good enough to compete we'll just be giving our $200/mo to ATT rather than Comcast... I wouldn't bet on a major change in competition or key players in the cable/phone space anytime soon.

ETA: Wow the bold html tags really BOLD text - I'm not that worked up about that

Edited by cnsegura 2013-07-29 11:09 PM
2013-07-30 7:16 AM
in reply to: cnsegura

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by cnsegura
Originally posted by tuwood

Not quite sure what you mean by the bolded. We're still making phone calls on copper that was laid in the ground many decades before Cable MSOs existed; there's no reason it should be kicking it anytime soon. Besides most cable backbones are fiber anyway. The copper portion is basically only from the terminal box to your house in most cases. As far as a changing business / pricing model. Maybe. The problem we have here in the US is there's no competition and deregulation was a failure. Putting in a competing fiber/copper network is prohibitively expensive and nobody really wants 5 different cable outlets in your home anyway. There's little incentive to build competition and the gov't will not run/treat internet service like a public utility. Even if the wireless infrastructure becomes good enough to compete we'll just be giving our $200/mo to ATT rather than Comcast... I wouldn't bet on a major change in competition or key players in the cable/phone space anytime soon. ETA: Wow the bold html tags really BOLD text - I'm not that worked up about that

lol, yeah the bold is pretty bold. 

I wasn't inferring that coax was going away, merely that I feel streaming video to the home is drastically changing in the future due to technology.  The home phone is a great analogy because they are still in use, but more and more homes are switching away from them.  I have three kids and I can all but guarantee you that none of them will ever have a land line phone in their house.

Cable TV is heading in the same direction as phones with the internet taking over as the streaming backbone.  Yes, the internet may still run over the coax for a while, but the cable companies don't make squat on internet compared to the cable services.  Competition is also picking up quite a bit with internet services and initiatives like Google Fiber rolling into more markets will likely change the home internet landscape as well.

2013-07-30 10:15 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

What is a home phone?

2013-07-30 10:17 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro
Wait....does this mean I won't be able to get the Paranormal Channel anymore?
2013-07-30 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river

Originally posted by buck1400 Sitting here on a Sunday morning at 11:30 am watching a little TV. OTA; no cable or Dish. 4 of the 6 channels are running infomercials. One of the commercial stations is running a community support type program; the other channel (PBS) is running there normal programming, which I enjoy and watch frequently. This is why the FCC has granted my local stations a licence to operate???? To broadcast me hour upon hour of 1/2 hour long commercials??? Rant over. Ooops. Maybe this have been posted in the new political forum. Sorry.

Most TV stations run infomercials at that time; right After the weekly news round tables and before sporting events.  Its not a a good programming time in general - a lot of people are out of the house on Sundays for various reasons.  So instead of a station paying for a program, why not have someone else pay for a time when very few are watching.  

2013-07-30 10:36 AM
in reply to: ratherbesnowboarding

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by ratherbesnowboarding

Originally posted by buck1400 Sitting here on a Sunday morning at 11:30 am watching a little TV. OTA; no cable or Dish. 4 of the 6 channels are running infomercials. One of the commercial stations is running a community support type program; the other channel (PBS) is running there normal programming, which I enjoy and watch frequently. This is why the FCC has granted my local stations a licence to operate???? To broadcast me hour upon hour of 1/2 hour long commercials??? Rant over. Ooops. Maybe this have been posted in the new political forum. Sorry.

Most TV stations run infomercials at that time; right After the weekly news round tables and before sporting events.  Its not a a good programming time in general - a lot of people are out of the house on Sundays for various reasons.  So instead of a station paying for a program, why not have someone else pay for a time when very few are watching.  

This. I'm in the camp that refuses to pay for TV. The infomercials air at off-times and are easy to avoid--just don't watch them. That's a half-hour of your life you'll never get back

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The demise of local OTA TV? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

tech help with computer/TV/streaming MLB.TV

Started by jsiegs
Views: 3140 Posts: 17

2011-04-08 1:13 PM jsiegs

Watched internet tv thru my Wii on the tv Pages: 1 2

Started by KenD
Views: 2498 Posts: 29

2010-01-15 10:58 AM mrbbrad

Demise of the dollar? Pages: 1 2

Started by Tripolar
Views: 1137 Posts: 31

2009-10-08 10:08 PM Pector55

TV commercials

Started by CindyK
Views: 823 Posts: 16

2006-01-04 2:25 PM run4yrlif

Who saw Lance on TV last night?

Started by possum
Views: 679 Posts: 1

2005-06-16 6:13 AM possum
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 17, 2010
author : mjfewell
comments : 3
In November of 2000, I noticed that I was losing the feeling in my toes. The sensation traveled up my body and within a week, I was nearly 80% paralyzed.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Browe79
comments : 0
This man’s story was so inspiring that my brother and I committed to doing an Ironman by the time we turned thirty.